Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Gene Winfield Interview: Sectioning the "Jade Idol", AND, His Own '58 Impala !

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonnie King, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]
    GENE WINFIELD , has chopped many tops through the years, but the first car he ever sectioned was a '56 Merc !

That iconic custom, as you know, was christened the "Jade Idol", and I wanted Gene to give me the lowdown on sectioning...and the full-story of what has to be done during that entire process.

This is a cool Interview, and you won't want to miss Gene's stories...not only about the Jade Idol, BUT, about his own chopped & sectioned '58 Impala ! To listen, Just-Click-On-Here !

Hope you all enjoy this...Gene is simply THE B-E-S-T !

(Above photo courtesy of Gene Winfield's Collection & Sondre at the Kustomrama Website.)

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Jonnie,

Another great interview with one of the members or " The Mount Rushmore '' of kustoms!:)

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Very Kool - as always - Thanks

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

pimpin paint...

Thanks ! Yes, Gene is really one of the Charter Members of that Kustom Klub ! Plus, he never stops !!

He'll be in Cincinatti next month for the W.O.W. show...and his entire schedule for 2014 is still being filled-up.

His info on the Jade Idol, itself is very cool, and the rest is just plain on-target...and great info from "The Master" for anyone who's never sectioned a custom:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage188.html

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. Thank you for taking the time do all these and share them with us. I especially enjoyed this one, since I was part of the class that helped section his '58. ;) I look forward to seeing it finished to see how it turns out.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Jonnie,

I think I've figgered out the secret to Gene's youth........... for over six decades, he's never stopped long enough for time to catch him:D

Again, 'nother great interview:)

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

drdave...

Congrats on getting to work on that '58 ! That's something to really be proud of, my friend. And, you've got some cool pix from that session in your album !!

Gene was here in St. Louis in August and we got to meet up again, and he did a Seminar that was supposed to be "brief"...BUT, he got so involved in it, and the audience was so responsive, that it ended up being almost two-and-a-half hours !

He works so well with people & crowds that ya just gotta love the guy ! And, as I've said before, his stories are always full of info, memories, and, history.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. Jonnie, you are so right. One of the things I was so impressed about was Gene's ability to just stand in front of a group and take off running with more information that I could take notes on. An experience I will never forget…and hope that I can incorporate one tenth of what he taught us. ;)

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker...

Always a pleasure to share these with my friends here !

Hope that all get to see Gene in-person one day...if they haven't already.

He loves doing these Interviews ! He was the first one to sign-on with me when I began archiving them in 2006...and, this Interview on Sectioning is one we've wanted to work on for a long time and finally nailed it ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage188.html

Have a great weekend, JJ...and everyone taking the time to be here at the H.A.M.B. !

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

pimpin paint...

Hey ! You've got a point there !! You're right he sure doesn't stand still very long...always on the move.

You can hear it in his voice...he sounds like he's 30 years younger than he is ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage188.html

Thanks again !

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

so what happened to the Jade Idol?

12. it's still around. According to Kustomrama, it's currently owned by Billy Belmont.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I understand Winfield traded the Jade Idol to John D'Agostino for his Royal Tahitian