Register now to get rid of these ads!

The frist real Haul for my f-600

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mastergun1980, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Sometimes I feel like I start to many projects, and never seem to acomplish anything. But Today I found out that I'm not completely nuts. I went on a " recovery mission " using my 1956 f-600 which itself was barn find roughly a year ago. When I found this truck I instantlly had a vision of a cool old truck I could use to go get all the old junk that I find. If you have followed my build you'll know that I have been pretty cheap with the whole build, and have been building this truck as a break from my 41 ford custom pick up ( when I get overwhelmed with it ) . There are a lot of things about the truck I would like to change ( I need to legnthen the frame a couple feet and build a new more car friendly bed ) but today it served it's intended purpose, by dragging home a 32 ford heavy truck.
    Here are links to ....
    The thread about finding the truck ...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647770
    The build thread ....
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673593
    And just for giggles the thread on the 32 truck ...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738393

But all that was leading up to this. Early this afternoon I checked the air in the tires, the brake fluid, oil, and antifreeze. I made sure I had ample chains and boomers, rope, bailing wire , and an assortment of tools. Fired her up and pulled out of my shop .
    I drove to town, filled up with gas, and got a red bull . I headed out on the highway with the windows down enjoying the exhaust note. The truck really rides nice on the high way. I didn't get in too much of a hurry, I got on it a few times but for the most part It was a relaxing drive. I did have to slow down for the last 1/2 mile of dirt road it was 8-10" of loose talcum powder fine dust. It was wores than mud! I ended up in 2nd low before I was comfortable with it!
    I pulled in where the 32 was waiting on me . The man I bought the truck from was just putting a swather in his barn with the tractor. I gave him a hand with it and then on to the 32. We moved some junk away from it and picked it with the bail spikes on the tractor. He then carefully laid it down right side up ( the first time in god only knows how long ) . He picked back up and loaded it on my truck. I noticed a 37-38 ford axle with rims still on it in the pile and was able to buy it as well. I paid him for the truck and axle, strapped it down and headed on my way.
    The drive home went a little slower, I didnt want to let the load get away from me It was chained down but rough roads can make things move around. Upon my arrival in town I filled back up with gas and checked my milage... 10.5 miles per gallon seems ok to me. I got home and realzed that my f-600 while not perfect or " finished " was up to the task I built it for. Here's some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Just finishing the pre trip check and loading what I need.
    [​IMG]
    It's do or die time.
    [​IMG]
    And here comes the prize ( sort of )
    [​IMG]
    Man I really need to make this truck longer!
    [​IMG]
    Checking the milage.....
    [​IMG]
    OK I know the 32 is a piece of crap, but I paid less than the scrap price even counting my gas money! And It was lot of fun going and getting it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. tinmann

tinmann

Okay..... so you knew someone was going to say it...... without pics this little adventure just didn't happen. Although I must say you did describe this figment of your imagination well...... almost believable.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

You should've torched the back half of that frame off before you loaded it!!!

Really awesome seeing the F600 do some good work!!!

4. tinmann

tinmann

Oooooops..... and then the pics pop up. Ma bad........carry on.

5. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

What was the milage?
    I like your trucks!!!

6. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yeah, as I stood there looking at all that hanging off the rear of the truck I thought about my torch sitting in the shop... I thought I had everything I needed lol ...
    Note to self .... replace unusable saddle tank with bottle holders.

7. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

10 and 1/2 miles per gallon. well it might have been a little better 42 miles and 3.8 gallons so I guess I got 11 miles per gallon ( the whole trip was 60 miles but it was 42 between fill ups

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Whatcha gonna do with the 32?

9. 53 effie

53 effie

Over 10 miles to the gallon? Nothing wrong with that in my book. I know many 3/4 ton pickups that might average that mileage and some won't. I know my E-350 box truck only does that good with a big tail wind.

And the truck isn't bad either!!

10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Open mouth, insert foot...lol.....

11. Cool to see the old truck working. Looks great to me, leave it as-is. Unless you really need the longer bed, but I think the shorter bed fits the old style better.

12. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I don't know . I know where the remains of a 33-34 cab is. ( its in a buddys score but he said he'ld let me get it ) I know I don't need any more projest right now.... But ya know... Maybe sell the pedal assembly `andclutch linkage . scrap the front and rear axles ( saving the wishbone ball ) Store the cab and frame till I can figure out what to do with em. I really don't know though. Before I get rid of any thing I'll post em in clasifieds here. ( even the axles ) Someone stripped this truck a long time ago. ( even cut patch panels out of it! )
    I just couldn't let it lay there and turn to dust!

13. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I don't wanna make it crazy long just an extra foot or two . There is one in the local junkyard 1 and 1/2 feet longer it dosn't look to long. But 13 and 1/2 feet is pretty short for hauling cars.

14. kennkat

kennkat

That's Just Plain KOOL!!! :):):)

15. good job with the F-600......cool...

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Awesome. Glad to see the big truck being used as a big truck.

17. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

NICE! I love that truck and I love the fact that you are using it too! COOL!

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A steel tilt bed off a old implement hauler would be cool.
    Wouldnt have that modern look and only go up and down but they are cheap and with a good winch pretty handy.

19. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I already have a hydrolic dump bed that works pretty good on the truck

20. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

there is a 56 600 for sale at a scrapper near me,Payette id.i haven't seen it but he said 1000.00 buys it.he advertised it on aaca site.

21. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

That's my kind of adventure !

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Now theres something 20" wheels belong on.

23. kennkat

kennkat

So on a similar bed several years ago I helped make a short "beaver tail" to add length, made it like a car hauler.... But the added length (30") is not what he wanted every day, so we made it removable easily with a pin & bolt on system... Took about 10 - 15 min to put it on or remove... with a cherry picker or a couple of strong buddies... Just an idea...

24. kennkat

kennkat

NAAA......, Looking at the pics again I realize that the bed length is pretty much max for the wheelbase of the Truck... Hell she's beautiful.... leave her alone!! :):):)

25. metalix_421

metalix_421

I guess it's about time to take a drive a pick up that other cab isn't it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Big fun! Cool truck!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Yep ... Prob not in the big truck though, it's over kill for a tore up cab!