Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Free-T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by IronTrap, Apr 17, 2018.

1. raven

raven

So did that give you more leg room doing the body that way?
    r

2. IronTrap

IronTrap

Those photos were from a couple weeks ago. We heat and bent the steering arms so the tie rod could go below the wishbones as they should and clear everything nicely. I just was excited for a warm day to roll it outside and take a step back and look at it!

Hey Hank, Yea come by! Tuesday nights or Sunday's I'm usually around working. Congrats on your retirement!

I usually have a "Sunday Service" almost every Sunday where guys can come by and hang out (and help if they want!) Send me a message if you're local and would like to come by.

It's and old chopped 32 grill. I've had it for years and it's a good fit for this car I think.

Yep gave us more leg room and two adults can fit in the car comfortably. I'd compare it to the cabin space of a 28/29 Roadster at this point. Still a bit cramped as far as foot room goes, but otherwise it's waayyyy more comfortable to sit in. Overall I tried to keep everything proportional so it wasn't super obvious the tub was a bit bigger.

brad2v, Squablow and Vanness like this.
  3. Perfect. Wound up very similar to the T I've had in my head. Can't get enough of these pictures. Really gets me motivated to work on mine.

IronTrap likes this.
  4. raven

raven

I like what you did and it's looking good.
    r

5. A 32 grille is what I want to put on mine. But I'm thinking a hi boy grille, a lowboy radiator, and drop the grille down below the frame rails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

6. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Looking awesome!

7. IronTrap

IronTrap

Scored a set of spider caps from a friend at Carlisle yesterday. I knew these would really set the car off!

new_caps_mockup.jpeg

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those really add to the "built back when" look of the whole build.

9. Vanness

Vanness

How was Carlisle this year. Heading there tomorrow... also, any more pics of your sport coupe? I saw it on your YouTube Channel

10. IronTrap

IronTrap

Swap was ok, I could only go Weds. so it was still filling in as I was there. I didn't buy much but a few friends scored pretty good yesterday, always a good time.

The Sports Poupe' as I call it is a dirt cheap project I'm letting some of the guys that come on Sundays work on with my help. It's a good outlet for them to get involved in laying out and making panels and parts without the worry of messing the car up. It started as a rotten woods-find type car no one wanted and we're gonna turn it into something "just because". I found some late 50's-early 60's photos of a Sport Coupe that was built in Canada and I decided I wanted to make a "cool" Sport Coupe instead of just trying to make it a coupster like many do. I sectioned the '39 pickup grill the other week and we've been making some more patch panels for it the past couple weeks. Once I get some time I'd like to make a full hood for the car. I think it should flow nicely with the 28-29 cowl. Hoping to have all of the major fab work/rust repair done by the end of the summer. Here's how it's looking right now.

chopped grill.JPG
    grill_side.JPG
    back_end_cleaned_up.JPG

And this Canadian Car is my influence for this one.
    Summer0f58.jpg
    DickPreneysroadster.jpg
    dick_preney_1.jpg

11. Vanness

Vanness

Love it. I agree about coupsters. I am keeping my door frames and chopped mine 5”. Also channeled it. Good woods find either way....just something different. It’s not like roadsters are just sitting in fields. Although my rpu was next to a barn that had collapsed.

12. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been working away on the tunnel. Trying to get it to hug the transmission as much as possible to keep foot room. The pedals aren't connected here and are all the way down. I made indents on both sides of the tunnel to hug the trans and allow you to squeeze a throttle pedal in. I may have to square off the brake pedal pad to give a tiny bit more room for your foot when using the throttle pedal. I'm going to be filling in the gaps around the transmission/floors at the front and make the flanges for the bottom/sides this week. Hopefully I'll be moving on to the next step here shortly.

tunnel-test.JPG

13. Ol' Stroker McGurk is doing cart wheels watching this build!!!!

ScooterCO and brad2v like this.
  14. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Well..this is pretty cool.

IronTrap likes this.
  15. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Cool build! I really dig your shop too!

IronTrap and Vanness like this.
  16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Pay attention people, this is how to build cars! Use what you have. Keep it on the cheap. I really like they way you do things bud.

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, RidgeRunner, rwrj and 3 others like this.
  17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great build . Love the pictures of your shop . The stone walls are cool .

IronTrap likes this.
  18. IronTrap

IronTrap

That might be the best compliment I've gotten about this car yet! I've always loved the Stroker cartoons, might need to find one of his hats to wear when driving it! I'd hope Tom woulda dug this car, his drawings definitely shaped some of my interests in Hot Rods!

Haha thanks man! I get bummed when guys complain that building a hot rod is "too expensive" and only the wealthy can build up a cool period hot rod. I am a firm believer that hot rods can still be cheap, fun, AND look good. Just because you start with cast away junk doesn't mean it needs to look like a junk/rat rod abortion! I think this car is as close as I'll get to the way a young guy would have built a little hot rod in the 40's using whatever he could find on a limited budget. The only differences are a little better tools/skills than the average guy and I have to look a lot harder for good parts and can't just go to the local junkyard to pull what parts I need!

We published the video showing the process for making the dash this morning. You can watch it at the link below, hope you guys and gals enjoy.

VA HAMB, LSGUN, brad2v and 12 others like this.
  19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow you have a very impressive stable of vehicles . Any pictures of the box delivery truck? I have the remains of a 49 F6 Railroad delivery truck .

20. Vanness

Vanness

Great video. You have similar tastes and interests Pretty cool the video camera follows you around too. Most of us regulars would be making blooper films.....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    brad2v likes this.
  21. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Nice job!

IronTrap likes this.
  22. Nice work! The proportions look good. I am also firm believer in using what you can, fabricating what you can, and using parts in your stash or what you find at the swap meet. I agree that with some thought and of course labor, you can put something together without spending a lot. Nothing is free, but you can certainly stretch a dollar by putting your head and hands to good use.

brad2v, Clay Belt, pitman and 3 others like this.
  23. IronTrap

IronTrap

That's my '42 Ford Butcher Truck. I use it as my swap meet vehicle. It's pretty cool picking up old parts and vending at swaps in this old flathead powered delivery vehicle! I've had it for about 3-4 years now.

lake.png
    warehouse.png

Thank you! It's all pretty much done with just myself and a tripod and my buddy Mike filming when he's over once a week. It's fun sharing the process of putting these old cars together. Thanks for checking it out!

24. albertaboy

albertaboy

I started watching your channel a couple months ago. I'm a beginner so I'm definitely picking up ideas from you. Keep them coming. Thanks.

IronTrap likes this.
  25. IronTrap

IronTrap

Scored a good load of old parts yesterday and there was a 4x2 hemi intake with old chrome 97's with Scott tops on them.. they HAD to go on the T. Really sets off the car I think!

scott-tops-3.jpg scott-tops-2.jpg scott-tops-1.jpg

26. Vanness

Vanness

Was the meet local? Nice score...

27. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

28. Nice! I found you on you tube a few weeks ago, definitely helped me get some ideas for my next project.

IronTrap likes this.
  29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Love the YT channel.
    The opening track is really rad, what tune is that?

30. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks man! Ha not sure, it's one of the free tracks YT offers and I thought it was perfect intro music!

chryslerfan55 and Old-Soul like this.