Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The FRAETON - 29 phaeton project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PurdueSD, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Great looking tub. Subscribed.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looking great. Why not use the stock tank in the cowl? Takes up no valuable passenger space.
    The stock location on my T is below drivers seat, going to have to rethink that one a while. Would be a great place to do all the wiring and shove a tank under the rear seat. Though again, about anywhere seems to have a downfall on these small cars.

3. If i was building more simplistic 30s/40s style phaeton maybe keep the stock tank. It was only 10 gallons, which is kinda the minimum if you plan to drive on long trips. With the merc dash, it was occupying all my space for things like fuse block, glovebox, gauges were tight, etc. Ive got a neat little period aftermarket heater that wouldn't fit with the stock tank too

It was an option for sure, just not the best one for us. I really don't have much issue with with it behind the back seat. Still enough room for me to sit back there, although i don't really ever plan to be back there again... I will try to get a pic up of the rear with the tank in there.

Either way the stock tank is already gone ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ah yeah, spaced out that different dash in the time it took to click through 3 pages... paint fumes

5. metal man

metal man

The thing had tons of space in the back seat from the factory. It can afford to lose the ten inches for the tank and still put the kid back there with a cooler and a duffle bag.

I really like your dash. It was a bit of a challenge to fit modern gauges and an ignition switch while using the original Model A tank and dash.

Also, it would be nice to have a glove box. Storage space , like fuel tank space, is hard to come by in these cars. I used leather pouches on my doors.

You aren't that far away....I hope to see this one in person some time.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    burtrido likes this.
  6. As time goes bye those pics of your kid will become more precious, don't lose them......

PurdueSD likes this.
  7. The little guy is what its all about!

Thanks @metal man and @Gearhead Graphics !

Heres the back seat/tank...
    [​IMG]

DrewModelA and bct like this.
  8. Big news!!!
    Registered for the Roundup today!

Hotel is booked too..
    970 miles 1-way in a hotrod, should be the adventure of a lifetime!

3340 and Dreddybear like this.
  9. FlatJan

FlatJan

A-tub with 32 frame..way to go if you ask me:)!
    can you show some detailed pics of the windshield-modification?
    I don´t get the " 3" chop on the windshield and 4" chop on the posts"-stuff exactly..
    thx!

10. Think about it like this: take a stock windshield frame and chop it 3". Now section the panel under he windshield so the bottom of the windshield is now sitting 1" lower than where a stock one does. Now the post need chopped that extra inch for a total of 4".
    Here is a stock model a cowl

Here is mine after the chop and section...

ratrodrodder likes this.
  11. FlatJan

FlatJan

yeah now i get it. Didn´t realize that at first but thats a great detail and some nice work!
    thanks!

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I recently cruised to Huntington Beach from San Antonio in our '32 Highboy. Had the amenities necessary for long trips(A/C-heat, top/curtains, 700R4). A total of 4000+ miles, and had a blast just as if we were young. Good luck on your upcoming trip to the Roundup.

PurdueSD likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking project, don't know how I overlooked it all this time. What size are your wheels I may have a pair of those wide rings. Bob

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

updated pics?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Thanks Gary, my wife and I are really excited !

Thanks! They are ford 16s.

Sorry larry, none now but shouldn't be too long.

16. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Great project man. Love everything about it.

17. How did I miss this thread?,I have always been a sucker for this type of car,I am now subscribed! HRP

18. ...very cool project, you guys have a great eye for proportions and parts, hope to see this car somewhere this year.

19. Thanks fellas! Much appreciated! Bob and Jeff at Midwest Fabrication have been so great to work with. Look em up if you need some work!

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

This is one bitchin ride

PurdueSD likes this.
  21. I had the chance to run back up to Milwaukee this past weekend for some last minute seat/ top fitting. We got it all lined out, barely. Hah. Was pretty fun walking around the shop all day staring at my hot rod. Still doesn't really feel real. Feels like this car has taken a personality of its own. We've spent quite a bit of time with mockups and the car is telling us what it wants, as Bob likes to say!

To me it seems like a bit of a throw back to happy and a little quirky cars of the late 50s. In the beginning I had all these ideas about what the car needed to have. The norms of "traditional hotroding" as the modern era define them. This little car is going to be a little different and that has made it really fun to see it come together.

Jeff absolutely nailed the nerf bar! So different than any I've seen. Not what I had in mind but better! Blew me away!! It's hard to see on the pics, but the bends are perfect, it's got a awesome peak in the middle and it has a really neat mounting setup that will eventually be capped off with some cool hardware. He also added pieces from an original headlight bar to the f1 shock mounts to fit the guide 903-Js we chose. ps... The radiator cap trim and emblem are to be axed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  22. Then, Bob and I spent some time working on seating position and the chop. Here's where we ended up, 4" straight chop like the windshield. After battling the chop, it suddenly fell together!

[​IMG]

23. Retro61

Retro61

Very Cool, was hoping to get the '34 done for the Roundup, and hook up with you on the way down, but, don't think its gonna happen!

24. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

I'm not a four door guy, but I'm digging the hell outta this one!

25. walter

walter

Nice Work!!!

26. Damn, sorry to hear that Wayne. Beatersville is May 24!

Thanks fellas, really happy with how it's turning out!

27. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The Shock mounts/headlight stands are rad.

PurdueSD likes this.