Register now to get rid of these ads!

The float! The float!

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Gentlemen,

I've had a couple requests for shots of this year's float. The only ones as yet are of construction (for obvious reasons), but here're a few anyway. She's titled "Catching the Big One", for the "Dreams Come True" parade. It's a trio of girls who've caught a bit more fish than they were fishing for.

The tail flips up & down, the boat rocks across Mama fish's body, and Mama's fins flap. The baby fish are named Boop-1, Boop-2, Diddum, Daddum, Waddum, & Choo. :cool:

Sorry guys, the pictures're off-line now, so here're some links to the build, judging, and post parade pictures of one of our members.

Early build.
    Screening and cocooning.
    Painting.
    Dry materials going on.
    Flowered, and final judging.
    Back in town after the parade.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Old28

Old28

IT'S CRUNCH TIME :eek::eek::eek:

One week 1/1/2014 The Rose Parade ;)

Dick, You know ya love it, great satisfaction when complete.:):):)

3. bobw

bobw

That's amazing, Dick. Must be thousands of man hours in a float like that. Just the row boat would be a big project.

It must be very satisfying to be part of constructing a work of art of that magnitude.

4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

That's cool. Me & my wife watch the parade every year. I,ll keep a look out for this one I'm always impressed with the amount of work that goes into one.

5. Old28

Old28

Dick,

Just got done watching the Rose Parade and the Float looked great.:)

Lots of hours by a great group to get it ready.;);)

How did they make the line in the fishes mouth move back and forth?:confused:

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That's a 20' piece of 1/4" cold roll. I welded one end to Mama fish's stationary lower lip and the other end to the pole in the moving boat. We call it "free animation". The small fishes and splashes're mounted on mounts designed to give a certain amount of movement in response to the movement of the float as well, same concept. Pretty cool when it works out right. :D

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Congratulations on working on three award winners Dick. Well done, now it's time to get back to race cars and retirement! :p

8. bobw

bobw

Thanks for posting the pics. Man, that's an epic task, building one of those.

9. Old28

Old28

Dick, I agree with Tom, time to get back to racing. HAMBster's need not be covered with flowers, seeds, bark, ect, just good old rattle can paint. Welcome back, job well done! :):D;)

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Great parade this year. Float ran perfetly, the crowd loved'er, and we snagged the Mayor's Trophy (there're no actual trophies, but a banner precedes the float) which is for the most beautiful city (representing) entry.

Post parade showing was fun again, as we spent that day running the animation & music for the crowds.
    Post post parade was great too, as we did it all again for our folks back in Sierra Madre today.

Tom & Patti (64 Dodge 440 & Mrs 64 Dodge 440) stopped by, and I swore an oath to help'em get the 'Rabbit on the strip this year. Now I'm looking forward to some fun wrenching there. :cool:

Total problems amounted to an animation alternator bearing threateneng to seize up, but not doing it.
    Made it back to the barn this evening with zero mishaps.
    Deflowering (sic) & tear-down to be commenced next weekend. :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014