Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Flaven & Flaven Model A build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pete, Nov 23, 2014.

1. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Lookin' good so far Pete !!! Finally something to follow. The brother thing worked out pretty well for me in my re-do. Good luck. Brett

2. Pete

Pete

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417908825.242099.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417908864.054559.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417908886.869501.jpg
    We had some time yesterday to to trim the box cross member to make room for the S-10 tranny tail shaft and make a rear K member. Mike wanted to use beefy 2X3 rectangular tube stock and slide the rear portion inside the frame. I'll reinforce the areas that were removed for the tranny later. We also made the dropped tranny mount using 1X3 tubing. Rather that cut the tube and weld each piece we figured out the drop and the width, pie cut the top and the two sides, than we bent the tube and closed the gap leaving only 3 sides to weld.... Just need to drill a few holes and the mount will be done.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. flatoz

flatoz

looks good, are my eyes not seeing right, or is the rear bottom edge of the rail removed? Can I see the garage floor?

I like that your using the original centre member but beefing it up, thats cool

4. Pete

Pete

Your eyes are correct.... That's all going to be plated, boxed and welded.

5. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

where will the rear axle hump land body?

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Pete

Pete

The model A Brookville body is set up for the model A or 32 frame so it already has a kick up in the rear floor.... But moving the rear cross member forward 7 ish inches won't harm anything, it'll just move the hole forward the same amount.

8. Lookin good Pete!

9. The best part of following THIS thread is, when the car is finished I'll get to see it on the road.

10. Pete

Pete

We had some time to work. Got the rear wishbones figured out and welded, well gusset and plate the heim joint area.

11. Pete

Pete

Pic

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

nice start pete lookin sporty. i like the single heim joint on the radius rods. you and ray and a bunch of others are reversing the axle tubes, what is the advantage? mine is a 36-37 w/ spring behind and i added 7 1/2 in to the frame to make it fit

13. Pete

Pete

In my opinion it's easier to shorten the frame that it is to lengthen it... So be reversing the tubes the wheel base doesn't change.. Just one approach I guess

patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  14. gonzo

gonzo

Looks great!

15. Pete

Pete

Picked up the 31 roadster body... Wouldn't fit inside the truck with the utility cap... so on the roof it went...

Attached Files:

16. Pete

Pete

Didn't waste any time.
    The body from brookville is set up for either stock model A or a 32 frame. Our frame is Z'd so we had to trim some of the sub rails as needed. We also added a new cross brace which replaced the one that was removed.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Body on the frame.

Attached Files:

18. Pete

Pete

Spent yesterday on the car with Mike. Taillights installed. Started on the steering. Trimmed and fitted an F1 box to fit inside the A rails. Shortened the shaft and changed the spline to fit a different wheel.
    The upper shaft was solid and the F1 is hollow so I turned the upper down to snugly fit.

Attached Files:

19. Pete

Pete

Finally starting to take shape.

Attached Files:

bymanr likes this.
  20. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

21. looks great Pete

22. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

23. Pete

Pete

Hopefully today I'll get the steering completed.
    Than onto the pedals.

24. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Nothing like a pipe rack when U need a little extra space - looking good, Pete.

25. Pete

Pete

Thanks shamus.

26. Pete

Pete

I tried to talk my bro out of the model A box, told him they get removed for a reason. So yesterday we spent about 4 hours fitting the A box, got it all done and guess what...? Yup, it sucked!

Ripped it all out this morning and....

Played with the steering today. Squeezed an F1 box right into the stock model a steering hole. Had to trim the F1 flange a bit on the top two holes, cut the bottom bolt hole completely off and re drilled it. Fits nice.

Shortened the drag link but just tacked it this time.

Attached Files:

27. titus

titus

Whats the plan to extend the frame to support the back of the body? They seem to have had trouble cracking all around the body mount from the weight of the body from the factory? some tubing in teh subrials maybe?

Cars lookin good.

JEFF

28. Pete

Pete

Jeff.... That's the plan. Not sure if it's going to be round or rectangular tube. But it will definitely need something.

29. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

hey pete, looks great! thanx for the detailed pics of steering box mount and linkage. i will be tackling that pretty soon that body is nice, you dont hafta worry about getting a tetanus shot!

30. titus

titus

sure, cool. or wood...like a model A truck bed has.