Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Flathead rip down continues.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by David68, Jan 18, 2020.

1. David68

David68

IMG_0735.jpg IMG_0736.jpg IMG_0737.jpg Anyone can look back and see the other posts of mine about this '48 flatty. Plan on rebuilding and putting it in a '29 Coupe. Here's what I dug down into last night. The pistons are shot, they are cracked, gouged and the ring lands are wayyyy out of spec. The rods ends are egg shaped and the studs are spread out. All of hat is okay since these are available aftermarket. The good of all this is carnage is the crank. It appears okay and should clean up nicely. Any flathead connoisseurs in the central Jersey stop on by the beers are cold.

osage orange likes this.
  2. 2AC35D6B-B84F-44BB-82E9-D670642682A6.jpeg Now,,,when you say the pistons are cracked,,,are you talking about the diagonal expansion groove in the skirts ?
    And the studs on the rods will spread apart a little after use.

And you are right,,,the crank looks really good if all the other journals look the same .
    Tommy

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    David68 likes this.
  3. David68

David68

No the cracks are around the ring lands and just below the wrist pins. Before I took the caps off they were really loose. Think farmer
    Ted who had this before just threw in some bearings but never checked anything else. I’ll grab some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Now,,that’s a 48 truck engine,,,but it’s still an 8BA isn’t it
    Didn’t the 8BA come out in the truck in 48 and the cars in 49 ?
    Or are those just truck heads on a different block ?

Tommy

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020

5. Take some pics of the crank too,,,,after all these years you never know what you might have.
    It would be nice to be a Merc.

Tommy

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

That damn Ted...

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You are correct. Ford used the same heads but with 8BA, 8RT, etc, stamped onto the heads depending on which type vehicle they were placed in.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. David68

David68

No you had it right. It came from a truck. Heads may be replaced to increase compression. Not there yet in the build though.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. Vergil

Vergil

If my memory is correct on the '48 truck 8ba fuel pump push rod bushing it has a large oil galley hole and the fuel pump rod must be used or plug the bushing bore so the galley hole is covered for oil pressure, the later 8ba had a very small hole in the bushing which will give you oil pressure without the plug but if running a fuel stock pump you will not have to worry about it.

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" The rods ends are egg shaped and the studs are spread out. All of that is okay since these are available aftermarket."

The machinist that did my 8ba told me that resizing 8ba rods wasn't like a typical V8 and while it can be done it was pricey. I ended going with a new set from SoCal Speed Shops. Seems as if they've gone up in price a bit but IMO they're still the best option.
    https://www.socalsac.com/Stock-Rod-7-Set-of-8-p/sflat001020.htm

From the web site:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These new 8BA-style connecting rods are:
    Manufactured to strict Mil-Spec standards.
    Bushed, sized, straight, and true – ready to run.
    Weight-difference range of about 3 grams throughout the set.

David68 and Fairlane500 like this.
  11. Flat head fun....what most all of us have been through and want more !