Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The First Time Von Dutch Screwed Me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Nobody is perfect, but there is also nothing wrong with making judgements either. I'm too old, have seen enough to know that it isn't "all good". I'm also not looking for heroes, stopped doing that in my teens. Was Howard an interesting guy? Yes he was. Was he an asshole? Yes he was. As a matter of fact I've met some "legends" that were jerks, but I'm not here to trash people.
    I just wrote what I wrote as an aside to Ryans story for those that might not know what "Von Dutch" was like...as a person.Enuff said.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Carter and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Thanks, mysterious Ryan, for the stories.
    Writing is a becoming a lost art and you do it well. I never figured you for a roundy-round guy,
    but I guess even though it's OT, it's not bad!

HUMOROUS INTENT FOLKS, NOT TO BE TAKEN AS CRITICISM!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Can you start a whole new forum and, tell stories like this? I'd probably pee my Lee's reading the rest of this story!

Dustin

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. Good idea! Tall stories and all, it would be fun.

5. seatex

seatex

Now that's funny, right thar!

Must have been the "ass" in Passionate that got him in trouble...............

Ryan, I was lucky enough to meet and talk to your dad at the Salt Lick when you released the JJ soft back.........he was super pleasant and it was obvious how proud he was of you. I had no idea of his racing background, thanks for sharing your memories, man. Seriously jb

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I saw in the news the other day that AJ was in the hospital - he had a triple bypass last week, but they said he's doing well.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

John Paul Sr has not been in prison since 2001. He is currently missing... And on the run.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

An excellent piece of literature Ryan. Nice to see something a bit personal. Really great.

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Great piece Ryan,
    I didn't know him personally but guys like Von Dutch didn't think outside the box because there was no box.
    They did weird shit just for themselves and others followed.
    Which is the ultimate weird shit.
    They don't come often.
    What is interesting is Von Dutch's real name Kenneth Howard...........
    When I was 8 - 9 years old I had a paper route back in Connecticut and the area manager use to come by every other week to my house to pick up the money I got from delivering papers to my customers.......
    The managers name ? Kenneth Howard
    His nick name ? Yep you got it....."Dutch" Howard.
    And being really "Dutch" he spoke broken English.
    That was pretty cool.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  10. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Thanks for the interesting story. It's cool to know a kids perspective of a legend like Dutch.

11. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Very Cool Story.. Sorry to hear about your father... So many cool memories that have made you the man you are today.. So great that you alway Keep it Real.

Baumi likes this.
  12. slammed

slammed

Von Dutch was quoted once: 'You want to know where the truth is?' 'It's in the Bible'. The arm chair 'shrink' remarks really stoop low.

13. k9racer

k9racer

In life it not what you do or you don't do... But the story you tell about it. Ryan you have a great story.

14. everybody is somebody else's weirdo..... even Jim....

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Great Stores Ryan. I also grew up in a racing family and my dad was one of my life long hero's. He worked for Tommy The Greek during his youth. He always took the new cars to him for a pin stripe job and the Greek never charged him. SCCA was his playground and he was just a working guy using what ever parts he could get cheap. His metallurgist friend ( who worked on the Manhattan Project ) did his cylinder head porting and he got a little help from the local BMC dealer. He also worked at the Coventry Motors in Walnut Creek Ca that ran the Jerry Grant Cobra. Being at the track with all my dad's friends and the big name drivers during the Can-Am days,It's memories that shaped my life and passion for anything mechanical
    I'm proud to say, my dad was my biggest hero also

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    rod1 likes this.
  16. Great tale about your dad & all. You will always have those great memories.

Von Dutch came into his own at the right time, the car culture in the US was skyrocketing. If he was just some ordinary guy doing pinstriping, he would have gone under the radar. Instead he was one of those one-off characters whose persona made him a larger-than-life icon. No doubt his drinking and other habits fueled that legend and quite possibly cut his life short.

indyjps likes this.
  17. ^^This....

18. Wow, and I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I agree with you both.
    I feel maybe the striping was OK for the time and some examples like the "Harvey Shaken By Cross-Breeding" rabbit were good, but other examples I have seen looked in my opinion pretty stiff and even lame (example: the station wagon he did for Barris with the flames and striping). Ed Roth in my opinion again was much much better for the time. Roth was also a far far better person who I had the pleasure of meeting several times in person.
    I use to go to a few antique car shows a year and usually found several jerks sitting on lawn chairs acting along the Von Dutch lines with their arrogant bullshit. It got to me so much that I have completly given up on the Antique car shows and only go to the Rod and Custom pre 1960's shows now.
    Ryan, your dad was one great dad and you were very lucky, thanks for the great story.

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

It would be a boring world if everyone was the same.

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

very cool story,i have all von dutchs books,thanks for sharing.............

21. Ryan, some day I will tell you how I inadvertently embarrassed Al Unser Jr in front of a couple hundred folks in the pits. I was about 12 at the time.

23. KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Thanks for the story, Ryan.

24. Oh c'mon, man! Don't be a tease. Spill the beans! :)

25. seatex

seatex

^^^^ what he said!^^^

26. Thanks for the story Ryan , great read

27. That is my coupe before I finished it. Still have one of those stickers.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  28. My sister had a Von Dutch hat....

I asked her "do you even know who Von Dutch is?

Her reply "he's a clothing designer ..duh!"

Part of me thinks he'd have been tickled punk to know that these blonde sorority girls were paying good money for cheap hats with his name on them.

WC145, 41 GMC K-18 and Special Ed like this.
  29. Wow….1 new thread about clothing thats not been out for years and now this… 2 Von Dutch threads in 1 day….is someone getting ready for a re launch?

Tman likes this.