Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The First Time Von Dutch Screwed Me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 17, 2014.

1. lolife

lolife

I think he was expecting you to say "I'll give you $50 a not a cent more". Well, enough for a weeks worth of beer anyway :)

2. I ran into Von Dutch, a few years before he died, at a roadside produce stand near where he lived in Santa Paula. As we parked, I noticed a nice Moto Guzzi Falcone with a sidecar. Sitting on the sidecar seat was an engraved, German helmet with a spike on top. I immediately knew who it belonged to, For a split second, the little devil on my shoulder told me to swipe the helmet and get the hell out of there. Cooler heads and my basic honest nature prevailed. Finally, he walked over with a sack of groceries and I began talking with him about the bike. I never let on that I knew who he was. I worked at the movie studios for quite a while and I know most celebs don't like having their asses kissed. Anyway, he began a rant that I can't even begin to remember or reiterate. It was all over the map about the government, conspiracies, lies, birth certificates, money. After 10 minutes, or so, I slowly backed up and got in my car and split. He was a genius, of sorts, but he was, clearly, confused, if not clinically insane.

Baumi and loudbang like this.
  3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

4. seatex

seatex

Cool as shit story, and your dad sounds like he was a helluva guy, cherish the memory and the watch. Nice touch posting Howard's pic upside down as an obvious thumb in the (flying?) eyeball!

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

My thoughts exactly on the upside down pic. :)

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Can't wait for the story of the second time, or third..?

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I want to do the same for my kids. Thanks for writing this, Ryan.

8. Yes, thanks for that.
    Your Dad is the real hero here.

Comet9 likes this.
  9. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story sounds like Von Dutch. Some times he was an asshole. Pat Ganahl wrote a good book about, the man, the myth, the legend. Your story should have been in that book. Thanks for your story.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's actually not a sign of disrespect towards Von Dutch... I don't have any ill will towards him. That's actually a nod to Dutch's upside down ways... and his one-time upside down grill filler...

HEMI32 and turboroadster like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

Kool story! Thanks for sharing.

12. While I apreciate Howard's art and his inventions, young people here should know "Von Dutch" was not really some rebel hero to be emulated.I don't want to trash him, but in reality he was an extremely prejudice person, an extreme alchololic and not very stable. I don't think he was some genius, but more a mentally ill guy, pretty much a sociopath in an age when that was not treated. You can call me a spoil sport
    and accuse me of disrespect if you want, but I know more than one person who witnessed his alcholic rants about Jews, blacks, Mexicans etc. And he screwed whole a lot of people.
    Great striping, terrible person. I have no ill will to Howard either, but let's keep it REAL.
    Sounds like Ryan's Dad was the real hero of this story!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. yes he does! Great story!

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  14. I read them all, but this story ranks waaaay up thar' on the awesome list. Very well written, Thanks for sharing.

15. Unstable? Mentally ill? sociopath? Alcoholic? Hell ! Now if my pinstriping was worth a damn, we could have been related!:D
    By the way Ryan,
    Your dad sounds like he was worthy of the title "HERO".

WC145 and oliver westlund like this.
  16. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Ok, I get that and that's cool, it was just my first thought when I saw it, kinda like flying an upside down flag. Guess I didn't go quite deep enough. :) I wasn't in any way raggin on you for it. Sorry if you took it that way.

17. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I met Dutch at the 1st RatFink Reunion. He was walking around with a long-barreled 45 revolver on him. I said "Dutch,whatz with the piece?" His answer: "The paranoids are out to get me..."

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice title from a readers perspective... hard not to click on it.

Great story, your pops was a neat guy.

See ya, -Abone.

Spoggie likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Ryan, what a great story, felt like I was in the bus with you guys. INDY 500 from 1980-1992, who did your Dad introduce you to during those years?

Spoggie likes this.
  20. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm sorry that your dad isn't with us anymore.If he was,I'd bring him my adoption papers. ;)

FAUST likes this.
  21. Kinky6

Kinky6

The logo with the blue wings and the circle (or oval shape), being part of a watch, made me think of a clock face with wings, as in "time flies", from the Latin (if I have this right) "tempus fugit". K6

22. autobilly

autobilly

Outstanding !

RIP Doc Cochran.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  23. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Great story and a great Dad to boot

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

Your Dad was a great man to pull that trip off. That's pretty cool.

25. Great story about a wonderful time. I feel fortunate to have met your dad...cool guy.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  26. seatex

seatex

Actually displaying the flag upside down is not a sign of disrespect, but of distress.

connielu likes this.
  27. That is correct.

28. Squablow

Squablow

That's a great story, and the watch is much cooler knowing that he BS'd you into buying it, than it would have been if he'd really done all that work on it.

29. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

It sounds like your Hero took you to see a legend.

Great story.

ffr1222k likes this.
  30. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I for one was never impressed with his pinstriping....it was sloppy......I don't see the Legend in him either.......his name does sell t-shirts though.

nelson845 and Gary Reynolds like this.