Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The first custom F-100 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildcycles, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! Another vote to leave it as is, just preserve it while driving/enjoying it.

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow that truck is awesome! What a great find!!

3. Diesel627

Diesel627

YES!!! exactly!! It does sound like he's gonna keep it original, the only thing id do to it, is loose those radials, put some Firestone wide whites on er, and ditch the truck mirrors for some peep style mirriors. God this truck is bitchin!!

4. Please don't put "peep" mirrors on it. Lose the west coast style truck mirrors , and the canopy.. I know you said the Mor-Drop axle and original wheels were gone, hope you can track them down. If not I'm sure these all can be found on the internet or from right here on The HAMB classifieds. The first version is my favorite.

5. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Yes, I plan to remove the canopy and truck mirrors. The original owner put the mirrors on because there isn't a window in the canopy to see out with the rear view mirror from inside the cab. I also plan on mounting Firestone wide whites and then finding an axle. I will have an opportunity for alot of local rodders to see the truck in the next few weeks and I am hoping to track down the original axle if possible. Just gonna be patient for a bit and see what turns up.

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

you would have to be a chevy man to not like that little jewel.
    the lites & grille are bitchin.

7. The Gambler

The Gambler

8. k-member

k-member

I will have to keep an eye out for that one.

9. Johnny99

Johnny99

Good job Heath! Fellers this truck could NOT be in better hands. I really like the original version too. Cant wait to see that thing in person.
    Take care, John

10. sr

sr
    from Monterey

My two cents worth: Mor Drop is still open in Alameda. You can get an axle done by them. Though the turn around time is long and you may be challenged in the quality. There are some guys on the HAMB that drop axles and do them very well. Peep mirrors. Actually in my early FORD FACTORY accessory books, Ford made a peep mirror for the 53-56 trucks. Very minor differences to the current styles. Very hard to find FOMOCO peeps. Drive it and enjoy it and the truck will tell you what to do. Nothing worse than having a famous car on blocks dreaming of the day you will get it finished. Just leave it and have fun with it. Tires and wheels, Yes, loose the camper. Leave the rest alone. Lower yes. It is awesome. If you lower it and put the first version tires and wheels........you have a cross over to version one and version two. Those who know the truck will understand what it is. I knew it when I saw this thread. So cool.

11. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks John! I just need to do some minor repairs, such as leaky master cylinder, get tail lights working, etc. Haven't touched it as far as a tune-up. It runs good, sounds good and shifts like butter! Will have to take a drive out your way soon... Heath

12. that is killer. i always liked the Chrysler grilles and lamps, they look natural

13. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks for the input and info on Mor-Drop. I have a factory peep mirror on my '56. They are very hard to come by. Not sure if there are any repops, but I'm not so concerned about the mirrors anyway. Just planning to clean it up, do some basic maintenance, make changes as discussed and drive it!

14. 76cam

76cam

Great find dont change a thing.

15. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

A few more pics.... Engine, window stickers, etc...

[​IMG]

16. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

17. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Window decals...

[​IMG]

18. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

19. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

20. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

21. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

22. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Remember, what ever you choose to do with this pickup that it is a piece of history.
    Mike

23. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

You're right... My immediate plans only include some necessary maintenance, wide whites, and removal of mirrors and canopy. By summer I'd like to get a dropped axle back in it and take steps to preserve the finish so it doesn't deteriorate any further. Also want to put the custom tailgate and original tonneau cover back on and enjoy driving it and showing up at local events.

24. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

LUCKY!

Damn dude, that's seriously awesome... hope to see this truck in person some day... wanna come over?

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that motion. Getting all sobbed up over a totally worn out paint job is pretty silly when the truck obviously needs to be restored. I'd probably run it next season with the paint that's on it while I did the research to be able to put it back in first rate condition in either it's first or second configuration. I think I have some snapshots that I took of the truck years ago and the paint was pretty tired then.

26. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

The difference is that it is rare original Tommy The Greek.
    Not much of his stuff around anymore. A genuine artifact.
    That'd be like sanding off some original Von Dutch and leaving it in a pile on the floor.
    Then what, you tell people it -used- to have Tommy The Greek paint?
    Anyone can have new/shiney. Few can have the real thing.
    It would be different if it was by some random unknown painter. Then I'd say go for it.

27. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I DO plan to run it with the paint job "as-is" with mirrors and canopy removed and original tonneau cover on it next season.

28. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Just a quick update... I have spent some time doing small repairs such as rebuilding the master cylinder to get this truck roadworthy for the upcoming season. I also found a really nice set of 4 period wide whitewalls that were collecting dust in a friend's shop. They are nearly identical to the ones used on this truck in the late 60's!

Also, I am looking for a Mordrop axle for the truck if anyone has one.

29. rainh8r

rainh8r

I have kept the Custom Cars Annual for 1958 on my table for years because of this truck. It's on page 119 with a Chev Cameo that was painted in similar fashion, but the F100 looks better, even if the Chev has Packard taillights. It has always been my favorite F100 and if I had known it was up here, and available, I'd have been visiting Arlington. It's actually the truck that made me buy my 56. Great to see it up and running again-have fun with it.

30. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

not gonna suggest what to do to it,but man you did good scoring it and im sure your plans are the right thing to do.i somehow missed this thread.again,you did good.enjoy.