Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The first custom F-100 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildcycles, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

[​IMG]

I recently purchased this custom 1954 Ford F-100. Joseph Botti purchased this truck new in November of 1954 and took it to Tommy the Greek for a two-tone scallop paint job in December of that same year. The truck also got complete new color matched upholstery including a full tonneau cover for the bed. It was lowered front and rear. Mercury wheels were added and a 55 grille replaced the 54 by the time it was featured on the cover of Rod & Custom magazine in August of 1956. The truck received 19 first place trophies in the first three years including the Oakland Roadster Show in 1955 and 1957. The truck went back to Tommy the Greek in 1964 for a color change of candy apple red and black to the scallop paint. The upholstery was dyed black to match and the front grille was swapped out for a Chrysler 300 and canted headlights. The truck remains in that configuration today. It even has a phone on the dash that was striped by Tommy. I got the '55 grille that was used in the first build and alot of pictures and trophies with the truck. I will add pictures and details as I get them organized. I would also like to hear from folks who may have additional information or photos. The truck was known as the "Mystere" (pronounced Miss Tear).

[​IMG]

Here's the striped phone on the dash!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. selohssa

selohssa

That thing rules. Nice score.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

4. Cymro

Cymro

Any more pictures? looks good

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Amazing Survivor!!!!!! There were SOOOOO many kustom F-100s, but almost NONE survive today. To have one of the most well-known examples in such original condition it totally amazing!!! Congratulations!

6. Nice! Are your plans to restore it to its former glory? If so, which configuration?

7. Gotzy

Gotzy

Excellent score as that thing is well cool, love the grille n light treatment!

8. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Here are a couple more pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

LOVE it! Enjoy!!!!

10. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I like the first configuration best, but after some thought, I think I will restore or freshen up the current configuration. A friend of mine suggested building a clone of the first one. The original owner also wrote a very detailed description of his plans for a future/third configuration.

11. satin&flake

satin&flake

12. Diesel627

Diesel627

Holy crap thats cool, ummm yeah Tommy the greek sprayed that paint, and laid the striping, PLEASE do not change a thing! Id clean it up and shine up the paint and interior as mush as possible and call it good. Why would anyone sugust redoing it or changing that truck??? Its only original once.

13. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks Jim... It's an honor to own Joe's truck. I actually met him a number of years ago and he told me all about the truck at that time. Joe passed away a few months ago and owned the truck until he died. He was a great guy and the truck was a huge part of his life. I never expected to have the opportunity to buy the truck. This truck was customized before the more popular '56 body was even produced!

14. Diesel627

Diesel627

If you redo restore or freshen it up, then its no longer the version, or the truck Tommy the greek painted, I would leave it as is, it looks amazing. if you want it to look show quality and new again, why not buy another one and build a clone? those trucks are pretty dime a dozen around these parts.

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jesus H Christ in a sidecar, what a cool score. I think the mid-50 F 100s were to Kustom trucks what the 49 Mercury is to Kustom cars. Personally, I love the second treatment but no disrespect intended, if it were mine (which it's not) I'd be having a good hard think about those truck mirrors. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Paul

16. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I agree and I don't want to change it, but the candy laquer is in bad shape at this point and some of the bondo is needing attention. I haven't even washed it yet! I'm afraid the paint will come off. Any suggestions on how to preserve the laquer?

17. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Pretty cool score!! I love that truck in both configurations was Joe a local Seatleite? My sister lives in Arlington an I always wish to drive up there for the airport /dragstrip show I hope to see it when I go!!

18. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

LOVE the truck! Please do the truck justice and lose those mirrors and put wide whites back on. The truck seems a little higher now but it might by due to the tires.

Great score and congrats...

19. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

In order to restore that truck you basically have to strip it and redo all the body and paint, as Im sure some of the bodywork isnt holding any more. The problem is if your going to do that, you might as well get a different truck and make it look shiny like you want! All the cool OG custom paint and stripes will be in a dust pile on the floor, and it won't really be that truck anymore.. Get it tuned up and running and driving well, and leave it alone!! Anybody can buy a F100 and paint it up to look like a 50's/60's show rod, but they are only a real deal early build once, as soon as you change all of that, it's over.... just my opinion...but I think you have a gem right there and I wouldn't do shit to it. Putting it back a bit closer to it's mag cover state would be cool, but nothing as far as repainting..

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

21. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Joe lived in Riverside, CA when the truck was done and later moved to the Seattle area. I also live in Arlington. The Arlington Dragstip Reunion is a good show and just keeps getting better. I will defineately have the truck there, so come on up and enjoy!

22. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Wow!!! What a great find. I have always loved that first version. It was probably my most favortie of the customized trucks from back then. Congrats!

23. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

OK, so I think the canopy and truck mirrors were a late addition by Mr. Botti as he got to be much older. I have a picture of the truck with both additions that looks like it was taken in the late 70's or possibly the 80's. The paint was in much better shape back then, but nothing else has changed since. I plan to take the mirrors and canopy off, put the matching custom tailgate back on and put the wide whites back on it too.

24. uc4me

uc4me

that is a SAWWWEEET effie, nice find

25. codeblu

codeblu

That is too cool. Always loved that truck. Textbook traditional F100.

26. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Yes, the truck does sit a little higher now. It originally had reversed spring eyes and a 4" mor-drop in front and the rear was mounted on top of the springs. The eyes are still reversed, but Joe put the stock axle back in because he was driving it alot. I don't know what happened to the mor-drop axle, but hoping to find it through local rodders that may know where it went. I was also told that the wheels with wide whites were sold at his estate sale. Would love to find them.

27. I would restore it to it's former glory - happens to Kustom cars all the time, and this one is rough enough to warrant it. To those that say it won't be the same vehicle, that's nonsense. Sure it would be nice if it were preserved and a perfect survivor, but it's not, so get over it. To them I say are the Hirohata Merc, the Ala Kart, Cushenberry's El matador, the Jack Stewart 41 that is currently being done, etc NOT the original cars? Of course they are the same car, just being restored to their former glory and there is nothing wrong with that.

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

More pics! Lets see the window decals and the engine. I was told by an old timer that in the '50's every shop in the Bay area had a custom F-100 with Tommy the Greek work on it- this was definitely one of the first!

29. RDR

RDR

Now that's the way it needs to be!! Great survivor....keep that baby as original as it was in that stage as a cool custom......!!..