Register now to get rid of these ads!

The February 2011 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Feb 1, 2011.

1. On my race car, the engine is bolted fore and aft directly to the frame (a 1928/29 Essex, narrowed and shortened) . There's just a crossmember in the back, holding the rear transverse spring. With no cross brace, I can feel the back half of the frame sashaying, under my butt, like a hula dancer. But, I think that is what these old dirt cars were designed to do. The front is tight and the rear is loose. I know the old time road racers told me that you want to set your car up with tight front suspension; and loose rear.:eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Jim, I can believe that. And, having been born (not raised) in the north part of the midwest, they probably most had a beer in their hand. When do we start?:cool:

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here is the TRD/B-Ford starter set up that came in the car

This puts the starter below the side drive..... Odd looking but works well

Attached Files:

4. Gaters

Gaters

YEAH! That's a different kind of shredding there!

Is this laying waste to the tires or the track? The angle the race car is coming in the corner looks freakin cool. I think that one of the most bitchin shot I've seen in a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Old Dawg, do you have any more pics of your car? Looks like a monster! What're the specs on it?

6. RussTee

RussTee

Old Dawg would agree with that but on a street car? I would think with most street modified cars you would want your frame rigid then the motor can be rubber mounted to stop vibrations and your suspension allowed to move under the frame/body the front can be stiffened with an anti roll bar shocks ect say you use a jag rear[ non trad] then you would want the frame very stiff right?

7. Just click on it, and it takes you to his photobucket account ...............57 photos in his album

8. That's right! Most of my good photos are at photobucket.com. Also, if you google "Miller-Schofield/Ford; John Kerr", there's a bunch of other pics. You can hear it run on Youtube by searching "Miller-Ford", then clicking on the close up of the two Strombergs.

It's basically a Ford Model B, punched out and sleeved to 213 c.i.d., beefed up bottom end (five main); with a Miller Hi Speed (CRAGAR) OHV. The valve timing was done by Dema Elgin. It's fed by a pair of Stromberg 97's. We haven't dyno'd this particular engine; but one like it, with exception of a lower compression ratio (8 to 1), went to 153 h.p. @4700 r.p.m. (180 ft. lbs. torque). To correct some assembly errors, we had to deck the block again. That, with a milled head, brought the compression on my engine up to about 12.5 to 13 to 1. If I told you any more, I'd have to strangle you. Or, at the very least, piss in your beer:eek: Of course, I don't really mean the threat of mayhem:) The car is just your basic 30's AAA Champ Car; and it just goes like stink. Some folks say I drive it too hard. But, the way I figure, people pay a lot of money to come and watch these old war horses run; and I think they ought to see and hear (and smell) them running in anger. Thus, we're usually running up front. And, if don't finish, many times we have the pleasure of knowing we've set the fastest lap.:D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

WOW.... Thanks for the new screen saver. If you and your car are ever on the east coast please let me know
    [​IMG]

10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

What a cool pic Old Dawg!

Can any one give me the HP & Torque spec's for a stock A model Banger?

Cheers

OB

11. 97

Engine Specifications

Rated Horsepower 24.03 SAE
    Brake Horsepower 40 HP at 2200 rpm

Firing Order 1-2-4-3
    Compression Ratio: 4.11:1
    Compression Pressure: A6050A head, 76 PSI A6050B head, 110 PSI B6050 head, 90 PSI
    Piston Displacement 200.5 cubic inches
    Bore 3.876"

Stroke 4.250"
    Torque 128 foot pounds at 1000 rpm

12. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Just checked the compression ratio for a stock Model A is 4.2:1. Check this link for complete Dyno Chart.

http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheets.htm/dyno1.htm

Hope it is helpful.

13. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

It was 36 deg. out today and my kids sitter broke her foot. So I had the day off so Brady and I dug out the shed to get the model A out. We went for a 30+ mile ride.
    Is it spring yet...
    Bill

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Has anybody tried running a side draft carb to improve flow on a banger? I figured it might eliminate some of the twists and turns that the intake charge must make to get into the cyl. Any thoughts?

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have no idea what your talking about :D

[​IMG]

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't believe you! You dug all that snow out? What kind of bribe did you have to give the other shoveler? :D

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sweet! I am actually just glad somebody understood the question. i haven't had much luck with that lately. I wonder what the numbers would be on that fine looking motor?

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Perhaps because you use the word ''SWEET'' !!!

19. My parts arrived so I thought I'd share!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here's my sign........ ;-P

[​IMG]

OK it's time for Winfield stuff

What you got? :)

22. 562roadster

562roadster

Anyone know a good Model A mechanic around the southern cali area? I'm having trouble getting my banger started. I upgraded to a modern upper and lower plate/distributor. And I haven't been able to fire it up since.

Preferably around the Whittier area.

23. I know, right?

And Bluto, that rules!

24. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I made the wife go to work:D 12hp snow blower , pick , shovel and 4 hrs of my life.

25. It was 32 degrees here

Took the boys down to the river and we went swimming, and floated down the rapids in an inflatable raft

Great to get out in the sun, and have a splash around in the water isn't it :D

Of course at 32 degrees C our water wasn't white and solid ............

26. RussTee

RussTee

Twin model s carbs if they dont work may play with the single millar alky carb

27. RussTee

RussTee

We suffered her two days ago 40 plus degrees centergrade it was trully horrible

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thankyou so much 97, will be very helpful,

-7 to 46 deg C was the temp range for the year in the hanger I used to work in, no shoveling snow, but some days I was suffering!

Cheers

OB

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is some Winfield stuff I have.

[​IMG]

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here are some side draft carbs I've been thinking about using on mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]