Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Fatman is Back!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redmeat, Mar 13, 2006.

1. After some time away from my 27T Coupe project I am back......I had a tough year this last one....IRS audit...lost my room-mate(and the money he contributed)....my father was in and out of the Hospital 3 times, then into and out of a nursing home, and now he and my mother are in a retirement community.....we had to get rid of 50+ years of accumaltion and are trying to sell their house(big headache)

Well part of this has meant me losing the use of my folks garage!!

So now with the help of a great friend and great HAMBer(Kmember)..I am back at building my car....BUT...we ran into a snag today....the front axle/hairpin set up I have is too wide for the frame......so my question now is how to fix it....do I heat and bend in the wings in the front(off the axle)...or build brackets out from the frame (were the hair pins come to the frame)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R E D M E A T

Attached Files:

2. muffman58

muffman58

I would say that whoever welded the hairpin brackets to the axle did not get the angle right, they just welded them straight! I would heat & bend them to get the right angle. Sorry but you`re gonna need to re-paint the axle! BTW why no kingpin holes? Are they just taped off and painted? Or is that little hole in the end there to screw the wheel on?

3. yup just taped and painted...I already got the spindles all ready....no biggie on ruining the paint job, it sucks any ways...

4. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Welcome back, Mr. Meat.

Fortunately for all of us, I seem to be completely out of "fat guy with the green axle" jokes.

Your friend,

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

5. Bump.......anybody else ?.....

6. k-member

k-member

Howie, first kick Marshall in the nuts for selling you that axle set up, second we MODIFY! Hell, it's gonna be a Hot-Rod. If I can find a flushing tip around here, we can probably heat and bend the batwings with a quickness. Just have to make a template to get them both the same.

Attached Files:

7. Zodoff

Zodoff

8. Gator

Gator

I'm not sure you'd get enough angle, but you could use spherical rod ends instead of clevises on your hairpins.

Just a thought, good luck.

9. Kick Marshall in the nuts!!!..

Nah ...I think he would like it too much... ;)

Hey Zodoff you crazy BESERKER!.....

Yah K I think heat and bend a little and maybe even build off the frame a little....best of both ideas!

10. couldn't you just build frame brackets that would make up for the width
    just a thought
    tom

11. yes that was the second option (after heat and bend)...but hey would stick out 5 inches fron the frame(super ugly!)

12. old beet

old beet

I think you mean, kick Marshall in THE nut!!!!........OLDBEET

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Ouch... Hey Howard we were just talking about you the other day at the shop when Keith was doing the outline work on my back piece. Good to see you are working on your project.
    Eric

14. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Redmeat,
    I had a similar situation. If the car is low enough that the hair pin mount is in the frame and not under you can make a spacer that is similar to a brake bulk head fitting .Weld it in the frame letting it stick out about an inch or so. Mine sticks one inch and looks like it was supposed to be there.
    Gemini EFI

15. FEDER

FEDER

Well, welcome back MEAT. Good to see Your back workin on the T. Shit, Beet told Me you were pregnant and would be gone for 9 mos or so.
    FEDER

16. old beet

old beet

MEAT just called, is givin birth as we speak. Says he thinks its an elephant as he can see its trunk coming out. Bet he's just takin a piss!.....OLDBEET

17. ooohhhh shit there goes the neighborhood good to see you back and working on the T give a shout if ya need any help just give me more than 24hr notice seeing as i liiv in ballard now

18. That would work Gemini...if it was only an inch...we are talking 4 or 5 here..

19. Old Beet...FEDER...I miss the shit out of you 2....we need a BBQ soon...maybe the next SWAP I will bring the mini BBQ if some one has a booth...hell I may just carry the fucker around on a red wagon with a cooler of RED MEAT!