Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Fate of the Hunnert Car Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Are you afraid your car is going to get dirty? I hope this doesn't start a thing at the show with guys with California dusters, hoods propped, and lawn chairs. That would kill the show for sure.

The show area is a mix of pavement, grass, and a few places with gravel. It's all set up to prevent puddles, mud, dust and other "features" of most fairgrounds

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Maybe we should bring in some mud to dirty the place up a little. :D

I bought a Peterson Ford Annual from the early '70s last week and there is an article about the Early V8 club to give hot rodders a glimpse over the fence at the other side. One guy refused to get his car out of his trailer because he had to drive over a gravel road to get to the judging area. Hahaha! :D Then a hot rod showed up. He was passing through on his way to the Nationals. They actually gave him ZERO points on his judging sheet because he butched the car. Hahaha! :D

3. Got that right.

4. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

kool I will be there.

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

No, but maybe some nicer cars will show up now like at the Lone Star Roundup. It will save the show in my opinion. Jose Zargoza or the guys from Pinkees certainly wouldn't show up with any of their cars at the muddy grounds in Morris, but they go to the Roundup. With all of the complaints about the "rattiness" of the past few pileups, hopefully more nicer cars will actually show up. You know, the kind you can use a California duster on because it won't get caught on all of the spiderwebs, spikes, and skulls welded to the car. ha ha

The original pileup was on the asphalt lot of Marty and sons with additional parking in the grass and back lot.

Hopefully we may see the Zenor coupe, the Dave Puhl 34 3 window, and a lot more nice customs at the Pileup this year. Until you get some nicer stuff at the show, all the focus will be on the "Rat Rods".

6. I've got to make it to this one of these days....

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

That may be the best picture I've ever seen

8. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

how in the world do you train a lion to sit in a sidecar going 85 MPH?
    THAT is an amazing photo fer sure...............if the wall of death is a part of the show this year - but no lion - count me out.

I mean - what is the HCPU without a lion in the Wall of Death?

ummmmm
    yeah

how did I get SO sidetracked?

Oh yeah - a LION IN A SIDECAR

amazing

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I completely agree.

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That would be nice to see some of those cars. Same rules apply though... no trailers.

11. I agree with Aaron to a certain degree. I mean, we all love nicely built cars but I don't want it to be the gold chainer pileup where everyone trailers in their show cars just cause they meet the criteria. The pileup up to me has always been about drive your hot rod/custom out to the show and enjoy your day.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

I hope you're right, Plowboy. Nice or not, no trailers. Quite a few people get turned away for that one. Do the Pinkees guys drive or trailer to the Roundup? Nice cars can see road miles, too. Bugs and dust never hurt anyone. Progress City will cut way down on the dust and mud though.

Anyway, the number of quality cars at the Pileup have been increasing quite a bit every year, but the junky ones get the press, even here. CKD, thankfully, showed mostly nice ones in their coverage this time.

FWIW, we're trying to rephrase, reword, streamline, and generally tighten up the show's criteria this year to keep out the junk but not take the fun out of it. Not easy. We're also working on improvements with inspectors.

13. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

man, what about a special section for specially invited cars or "high end heaven?"

I'm all for the "no trailer" rule.. but I'd sure love to see the Atomic Punk and other top shelf customs show up... trailer or no trailer.

(and the Atomic Punk will always get a free trailer pass with me... its had playmates rubbed on it.) :)

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

I had to go and reread my post. According to some of the responses I thought I might have said, "let's all show up with our cars on trailers". Ha ha. Since when did a painted car have to show up on a trailer? Even though my blue truck was at pileup number 2 on the trailer because it didn't run yet. Lukester parked his trailer down the street to drive his bare metal truck in. Ha ha

I will probably have every car that I have that runs there this year, including my trailer queen. Ha ha

Django wanted me to bring the Punk to the past pileups but I never wanted to because of the mess...I don't know why he wanted it there knowing full well I'd bring it in a trailer. Ha ha.

I am sure all of the trailers will still get parked all over town just like all the other pileups. Ha ha

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

At least with the trailers parked in town, the cars have to drive a mile or two at the very least to get into the show. They're built to drive right? :D

Aaron, unlike cars built for something like the Ridler, or any of the showrods for the last 40 years, I've personally seen your car tearing up the blacktop in anger. :D

16. Anger or hormonal rage?:p

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

From me or him? :D

18. slammed

slammed

Fuck NO! It was a basic question. Plus the guy's who pamper their car's may give it go, this year. Some post's of the '09 show spoke of the dirt, dust, mud, crud, ect. Me, I drove my car today 100 mile's of sand blast and melt off fan-tango.

19. 41 C28

41 C28

We can't do anything about the weather, and rain will keep the dust down.

I hope I wouldn't get kicked out if I brought a lawn chair.

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

Slammed - good. We usually get those questions from guys with trailer queens. The area is mostly concrete, some grass. It's the perfect set up for a car show. The Pileup will seem small again there though. The place is huge.

41 C28 - of course not, but lawn chairs at the show are pretty rare. The Pileup has always been a walk around, see the cars, and meet people kind of show. No one sits down for long, if at all. Lawn chairs are the kind of thing you see at GoodGuys and "regular" car shows. If we start seeing a lot of them at the Pileup, it will definitely hurt the feel and spirit of the show.

21. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Gonna still be a great show Im sure.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm thinking for sure there will be some nicer cars there now....the Kingmen from Detroit come to mind. It was more then just the mud at Morris. That stuff had like crushed concrete dust or something in it. When it dried it got hard as a rock.

23. I can't seem to wrap my brain around how a car was "too nice" for Morris and now all of a sudden "nice" cars will magically appear cause it's less dirty? What the hell?

No offense intended by any means, but I'm tunnel visioned into drive your car in, no whiners and have a good time hanging out and meeting folks. I guess this is why I have a hot rod and not a show car. :confused:

24. Dom87SS

Dom87SS

looks like its a good 4 hour ride south for me now. But on the upside this is the first year it doesnt conflict with our race schedule in a while so it shouldnt be much of a issue. We got in and out of the show last year with no issue. just had to get there early enough.

25. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's weird. I never had a problem with it and it always just rinsed off.

I think we'd all like to see nicer cars there and less ratty junk, but not at the cost of the soul of the show. The Pileup has always been a DIY show. Nice cars can be DIY and driven. Just look around the HAMB. If a car is too nice to be near dust or to drive, then it doesn't belong at the Pileup.

I think we're losing focus here. The new location will make things a LOT easier on everyone and the show area environment is a little more hospitable, but the show won't be changing. We're actually working on stiffening up the criteria and working to syncronize the inspectors better. It will be a better show all the way around.

26. Hey Joe, is there much shade to be found there. Kinda nice to have a few trees to stand under once in a while.:D

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

not for a few 100 yards at least! W're working on getting some revival/festival tents for eating, band watching, and preserving your vampiric alabaster skin.

28. Thanks Joe! :D

29. magnet

magnet

Zaktcly lindross.. you hit it on the head.

Really?.. seriously? ... its the pileup.. expect dirt, rain, sleet, wind... cow manure, combines and harvesters in the road, corn cobs falling all over the place... its rural Illinois during harvest.. etc etc..

it ain't no good guys or world of wheels.

Its a drive in car show.. if that means some nice cars will stay home.. then they do.. its the drivers choice.. this new place is a bit less dusty.. but really, if that matters.. then you should ask yourself why you are there. :)

Hopefully we will see some nice cars.. less rat rods.. and some sun.

I am serious when i say this guys.. this pileup is going to be a good one.. a fresh start in a new place.. with some good changes being made.. and i have a funny feeling its going to be super nice outside.

30. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

And no more cornfields to make a dash to or trees to hide behind.:eek:

HellRaiser