Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Fate of the Hunnert Car Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

As you know, we had a lot of problems with the Hunnert Car Pileup last year. The problems were a long time coming and we’re lucky they didn’t happen sooner and no one was seriously hurt. These events forced us to think long and hard about what the Pileup is, where it’s going, and where its future path should lead. We’ve always said that if we felt the soul of the Pileup slipping away from us that we would rather stop having the show than see it turn into something we don’t like. After some deep contemplation and heated debates, we’ve decided that we, the traditional hot rod community, are still in control of the Hunnert Car Pileup’s soul and destiny. For now. That means the Pileup will happen in 2010! October 9, to be exact.

Pileup #9 on 10-9-10, at 9am. Destiny. :D

The chaos that ensued last year made it clear that we outgrew the Grundy County Speedway & Farigrounds. When 9 football fields are completely full of spectators and there’s a 4 mile backup by noon, it’s a pretty good sign that a location just isn’t big enough. So, we started looking for other locations. We investigated every suggestion on the HAMB, the Chrome Czar forum, and a few others. Our criteria was that the location have sufficient access, including multiple entry/exit points, onto multiple roads, have plenty of hotels nearby, be willing to work with us, have some character, and be available on the 2nd Saturday of October. All of the locations could handle the show cars, but only a few could meet the other criteria, and only one could handle the onslaught of spectators we had in 2009.

The new location of the Hunnert Car Pileup for 2010 is Progress City in Decatur, IL!

We’re excited about the new location. It will be a lot like Morris, but a lot bigger and better. It’s not as visually interesting as some of the other sites, but it can handle the crowds, and is big enough that cars won’t be parked on top of each other (so no more complaints about not being able to see cars or get pictures of them!), we’ll have room for more vendors, and will have room for on site cruising. And you won’t have to drive any where near Chicago traffic to get there!

The police, sherriff, site staff and city council are eager to have us there and are working with us to make the entire weekend go smoothly. They are even providing dedicated staff just to handle spectator parking, guaranteeing smooth sailing.

Decatur is about 120 miles/ 2.5 hours south of Morris… so it might even be warmer!

We’ve arranged to have the pre/post show parties at a very cool 1800s era opera house called Snapper's in Clinton, IL (15 minutes away doing the speed limit). We're working out an arrangement with the town to block off the ENTIRE downtown square for hot rod parking ONLY! There will be great, cheap food, and great bands. The vibe is very much like the Red Cent in Morris, plus they have pool tables. The whole town is into it.

We’ll keep you posted on the bar, hotels, and other details as we work them out.

We are working out a band line up now. Trust us, it's going to be good!

More good news: We killed the swap meet last year because it was too big of a hassle and we didn't have the people power to run it. This year, we asked the Bombers Car Club (Peoria, IL) to take over the swap meet and bring it back! They will be handling it 100%.

We hope to see you in October!
    The Chrome Czars & Catherine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

A great way to start off my week. You guys rule.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool!
    and I hope the way outta price hotels and motels in Morris choke on the loss of revenue.

I'm looking for Progress City and I can't find it. Any link to the exact location??

4. 427c.i.

427c.i.

Great call and glad the Pileup will continue on. The town of Forsyth is VERY close as well offering up more choices for food, lodging etc. The only (small) issue I see is the Pileup takes place during harvest season and the grounds are very close to several grain processing facilities...so be on the lookout for slow moving grain trucks.
    It's also refreshing to see the towns SUPPORTING the show. The pre party on the Clinton (Little Detroit) square is a great idea as well. Lots of parking and it definately has an "old timey, downtown feel" to it.
    If you were to get "The Goodyear Pimps" to play, my life would be complete!

5. good job guys!!! i already have my room booked!

6. Awesome! We'll be there to offer our support no matter where the Pileup goes. :)

7. BoPeep

BoPeep

8. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

ditto cant wait.

george

9. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Great news, looking foward to it. Gary

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Not cool at all, if it means that the swap meet will be stuck off somewhere away from the main show. I find it odd to think you view a swap meet as something that's too big of a hassle for your full attention..............

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This is a really odd post..:confused:

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks sweetie!

Ditto again.:D

13. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

Fantastic!!!...we will be there!!

14. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

sweeet!!!! cant wait!!!

15. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

damn, that drops it out of my driving range for there and back in the same day...

good luck guys, looks like i wont be goin... hope it goes better than last year

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and you're not allowed to spend the night because........;)

17. Rusty

Rusty

18. Umm... what part about us not having the manpower to handle it wasn't clear???? Parking hot rods and spectator cars was the priority. We are are VOLUNTEER based operation. Now we have the Bombers involvement and more appropriate space so the swap can be handled effectively.

19. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

120 miles South??? Now you're gonna pull more cars from the southern states!
    I'll be there! MillionCarPileUp!

20. 55_nail

55_nail

This is great news....and as a member of the Bombers Car Club...more than greatfull for the oppertunity to be apart of such a great event. Thanks Czars for keeping one of the best shows in the country alive!
    Mike

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Good to hear you guy's are keeping this going.

22. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I find it odd that you didn't publicly volunteer to run the swap yourself... :rolleyes:

Come on, there core of the show is a group of about 15 men and women who all have full time jobs, families, and lives who also happen to put on the coolest show in the Midwest. The fact they make this show happen every year and don't kill each other is nothing short of a miracle. :D

Hell, to me, the fact that the show is even happening this year is a miracle!

But really, I'm sure they appreciate your input.

23. Be glad there is a swap at all. MANY shows don't even bother with a swap. Your complaining because of WHAT? The swap isn't being run by the same group of individuals as the show? Or it may be on the same site but away from the rest of the venue? BS, sounds like you might want to stay home!

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Awesome!! I'll have my car going this year, I'll do my best to qualify as an entry.

25. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

It's great to hear you guys found a way to make it work. I was looking at the site/ lot map and wondering if there is any trees or shady areas? I know it's usually less than hot but still curious!

Congrats on finding a new home.

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

Denise, Progress City is on the North-east side of Decatur, close to Forsyth.

A little later I'll post some pics of Progress City and Clinton where the pre AND post-show parties are happening.

I don't want to focus on Nash's comment too much, but I ran the swap for 8 years... by myself. It was too much. We did not have spare volunteers to help run it, and MercDeuceMan and VonDust stepped up to the plate one year and helped quite a bit, but it was too much for even them... swappers can be a "handful"... and we didn't have room for it. Now we have GOBS of room (3 Grundy's can fit into the show area of Progress City!). Nowhere did I say the swap was going to be out in the middle of nowhere. We're happy to bring it back because the Bombers are donating their time to run it. They understand the spirit of the show.

Back to something more positive... Progress City is DESIGNED to have shows like this. When I was there it was raining cats and dogs... and there wasn't a single puddle ANYWHERE. The area is full of grassy areas bisected by paved concrete roads. The loss of trees and building is unfortunate, but overshadowed by all we gain. We're looking into getting some larger revival tents. We are really excited about this new location and how cooperative Progress City staff are, as well as the towns of Decatur and Clinton.

27. magnet

magnet

Yeah, the pileup is a car show.. its not a swap meet.. those are two different types of events.. sometimes you cant do both.. we like to focus on the car show side of the house..

Having a mini swap along with it.. that's strictly limited to the types of parts for the types of cars that attend.. which means no bitchen camero crap.. not dolls or model cars.. or 80's GM van parts.. modern truck accessories.. sham wow's or all the other crap that you see at an alleged car swap.

that fits.. and is do-able

But if you have ever ran a swap.. you know and understand our aversion to it.. flat out.. swap meet guys are the carny people of the car world. We have had lots of troubles with just the few swap meet vendors we had in the past. And with our focus on the actual show.. we really didn't need the distraction.

Which is why the Bombers stepped up to fill in the gap.. because a swap with a purpose.. with strict limitations.. really complements the show overall. ANd they have the motivation and enthusiasm to get the job done.

Welcome to the family fellas.

DW is coordination volunteers again.. we will have the websites updated soon (i am busy at my real job right now, and my side job) and volunteers will start registration sometime in May.. or whenever DW deems it fruitful.

So our primary goal.. and our focus this year is to execute flawlessly.. we want a pileup better than ever. Its the 9th year.. and we have the opportunity to work out all the kinks at a new place before the big 10 year party. We need your help, more this year than ever before. Volunteers that are organized, self starters, committed to the cause.. and willing to become part of the Pileups Red Shirt Army.

I am also handing off a bunch of the work to my club brothers, so you will see the other members stepping in to fill some of the roles i used to take. Its going to be a great year, and a great show.. in a great place.

See you at the pileup.

P.S. If you see guys who volunteered at last years show.. buy em a beer and tell em thanks.. they deserve it.

28. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

The swap meet and Car corral will be a part of the Hunnert Car Pileup and will be on the same grounds as the Pileup and therefore will be a integrated part of the Hunnert Car Pileup. The Chrome Czars would also like to not only be the club that bought you the Hunnert Car Pileup ,but they would like to be able to walk around ,look at the cars,talk to people and in short enjoy the show as much as the rest of us. They have taken a military approach to this years show and are delegating certain areas of responsibility to other people rather than running it all and therefore becoming burned out by the shows huge success. The Bombers Car Club is a traditional Hotrod Club and the Swap Meet and Car Corral will be run to the very same standards as the Chrome Czars and the proceeds will also be donated to charity,just like the Chrome Czars. What this means is the swap meet and car corral will be run efficiently and that means all parts and vehicles will be traditional hotrod and pre 1964 items so leave your cry baby dolls and peeing dogs at home as they will not be sold at the Pileup. The Chrome Czars are the ultimate authority on their show and we are under that same authority just trying to help them out so that they can get the same benefit from the show as all of you do. This years show should be the best one yet and next years will be even better so if you have any suggestions or questions about the swap meet and car corral please feel free to contact me. You can PM me or my personal email is listed below.

[email protected]

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Now that's the kind of news we've been waiting for. So glad you've been able to continue this event, it's the best thing going for the type of cars that the HAMB is all about (well, maybe some of the over the top rat entries aren't but they can be ignored)
    So..............how about telling us about the motels in the area, I'd like to get a reservation locked down?

Frank

30. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Chrome Czars, Thanks again for keeping this Pileup going. It is the show that is 100% attended by our club and we have always had way too much fun to actually be legal.We are glad to be aboard and working with you guys. Thanks