Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Falcon Gasser Debate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AA/FA 0045, Jun 2, 2014.

1. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

Were / are Falcons actually considered true Gassers?

2. belair

belair

did they have bias or radials?
    There are several threads that cover the definition of "gasser". Check them out and come to own conclusion. "Gasser" has been parsed to death.

3. Larry T

Larry T

I know of a couple that ran in the 60's in the gas classes, so yea they were. For this board, maybe not.

Are the Mustangs, Cudas, Camaros, Opels that ran AA/G - A/GS - AA/GS gassers? Yep, but not for this board.

Are street cars that never see the track gassers?

4. 69fury

69fury

What is your cutoff year for being a "true" gasser? Look up "falcon gasser" and you'll see tons of photos- many are "back in the day", which is to say, period looking black and white photos- so the internet says it's so. I'm sure Falcons make up a small minority of gassers but they were there.

But i also agree that they stand apart in some ways from the Willys, 55Chevies and such. Even though they seem like a different chapter of gassers- they do represent a great little race car that, when fitted with a solid front axle will accept alot of engine up front. Lightweight coupes with short trunks get my attention, I like them.

I'd like to know about the earliest documented Falcon gasser.

I'm putting an 61 Falcon that was a former race car back on the road. I know it it's been in a barn since the early 80's and it's career included small ford, big ford, small chevy and big chevy engines and very old ladderbars, but i dont know how early the 65 chevy van front axle was installed. -rick

5. Depends on the color of the wheels I suppose.

It has been cussed and discussed as far as what defines "gasser" and even Larry and I have not always agreed (I usually agree with Larry).

Historically a gasser was a gas class car, and prior to the rule change (NHRA) that allowed foreign cars it was any American car. When I was racing in the late '60s when I got bumped to gas class (some techs were pretty loose with the interpretation of the rules) I often got paired with a falcon. So I would have to say in the real world yes falcons could and sometimes were gassers.

6. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    You don't always agree with me? That's ok, I don't always agree with myself. Depends on what time of day it is and the phase of the moon. :D

7. Sometimes. ;) Well most of the time, but be assured I will never ever pass up a chance to poke you with the stick. Unless of course I am at your house, I can't outrun you any more.

8. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. When NHRA still had Gas and Modified Production,any car qualified depending on what you did to it.A bone stock 57 Chev with a hood scoop became Modified Production,but it had to have the complete interior.Take off the front bumper,it became a Gas class car.The interior could be a single seat.Nothing in the rules said a Gasser had to have a straight axle.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  10. Saxxon

Saxxon

Amen to that... The current fad is a straight axle "gasser style" look. This look was reinforced by the mile high street freak phase of the 70's. But the vast majority of the gas class cars back in the day did not have straight axles. The fast, cool (radical) looking gassers that sold magazines usually had them, and the focus of attention for the cam grinder wars were the supercharged / straight axle folks. That's all the common folks saw in print and media so the impression was you needed a straight axle to be a gasser. The hundreds of cars in the lower classes were big heavy stock looking stuff with nose up / ass down attitudes, small engines and a ton of weight.

The smaller cars like Falcons were made into gassers. As were Studebakers, Ramblers, Hudsons etc etc etc... so - yes - a Falcon can be considered a true gasser. The real question is more ... is it being built / was it built - as a true gasser ? A straight axle is not the only definition.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Seems like a car that came out in 1960 would not immediately become a "gasser" back in 1960. But by the mid 60's an inexpensive small car like a Falcon could be fitted with a big FE engine and be very competitive in the Gas class.
    But I can't imagine why anyone would build a gasser on a early 60's Falcon. :)

12. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

I own a '60 falcon that was a gasser and then a bracket car and then my nostalgia drag car.. Has been "off road" since early 1965.

loudbang likes this.
  13. cktasto

cktasto

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. like the man said small, cheaper than a mustang, light car!

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Chevy II's are in the same boat. I would guess most ran as match bash cars/exhibition stockers FX'ers or whatever you wanted to call them... and the when these cars became more outrageous late 67 era most nova and falcon's would have became outdated and were then turned into a Gas class car as long as the axle centerlines were not changed. You have to remember that running a match race was more lucrative than getting a trophy. This is just my theory as I wasn't there.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

16. Taking off the front bumper would have made it run altered or modified up though the '64 season (which used to be our cutoff date here) Gas coupe/sedan was a street legal class and bumpers as well as working lights and interior was required. As well as OEM type suspension and no lift to gain a traction advantage.

basically the gas class cars were just souped up street cars. Not saying that to be an ass just trying to be accurate.

There were other sanctioning bodies than the NHRA that had different rules.