Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The (eventual) flight of the fauxbanger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesf, Jun 26, 2017.

1. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Spectacular!

Singlefinger Speed Shop,
    still lurking around Detroit

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one slick little hot rod.

3. charlesf

charlesf

The fauxbanger and its decrepit owner traveled to Columbus for the Goodguys show. A wonderful time was had by all. Got to see old friends and, thanks to the car, made some new friends. The number of favorable comments and congratulations were out of all proportion to the meager talents of the builder. I'm getting a big head, I fear.
    It would be great to say that I drove the car to Columbus, but if I had it would have been a very damp ride; as it rained all the way from Toledo to Columbus on the Thursday. At least I drove it around Columbus and its environs. Revealed to me in this adventure were the need for clutch adjustment, friction shock linkage refinement, idle adjustment and a thorough cleaning. The tonneau sewn by my wife prior to the trip got a real workout, thanks to the wet trip down and the torrential downpour at the show on Friday afternoon. Here you see the car in front of the Greening Auto Co. trailer. How many of you know that Jeff and Jesse Greening started here in little old Alma, Michigan??
    IMG_6111.JPG

Kume, Stogy and brEad like this.
  4. charlesf

charlesf

Having been accepted for Autorama Extreme, it fell upon me to make the necessary arrangements. Since we would be in Arizona in February and March, this required booking a flight home and back, borrowing a tow vehicle, and arranging for lodging in the Detroit area. With kids living in the Detroit area, the lodging issue was easy. The tow vehicle was provided by a friend, in the form of a H.D. Silverado diesel. It was really like using a sledge hammer to drive a thumb tack, given the tiny car and light trailer.

So off I went, driving through a blizzard on I 96 on the Thursday before the show. Unloading and set up was a breeze, courtesy of Dennis Scott and the other officials at Cobo, and of course the assistance of son #1, Adrian.
    I dropped the trailer at Adrian's home and spent Thursday night at the home of son #2, Nick, and it snowed. Friday morning, as everyone in the house was off to work and transporting kids to school, my borrowed truck cooperated by refusing to start, thus blocking the driveway. It took three adult males to push the 6,000 + pound truck out onto the street. Everyone was late for work and school. I haven't yet been invited back.
    I learned, thankfully before I called a towing company, from my truck owning friend, that when parked on an incline the fuel will run away from the Duramax's fuel pump and one must raise the hood and manually pump up the fuel pressure. Problem solved, and off to Cobo.

The show itself was great. Even better than I had hoped. I saw old friends and made new ones. The car was very well received, and the subject of many kind comments though no awards. Move out on Sunday was a breeze, and I was home in Alma in my own bed by 9:30.

Oh, and the grand kids enjoyed the show too. IMG_6734.JPG IMG_6786.JPG

brEad, chryslerfan55, Tim and 2 others like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

Cool little ride man!