Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Essex got a new home, or...why I'm dog tired today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boyd Who, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

A little history to start...
    My wife and I bought our first house 13 years ago. It didn't have a garage, but I was determined to build one. Well, that didn't happen but I still managed to build a '48 Chevy p/u outisde on a gravel parking pad.

In Jan 2008 we sold that house and moved halfway across the country to a new place that had...GASP...a garage! However, as nice as it was to have a covered and secure spot to park the Essex, at 12'x20' there wasn't much room to actually do any work in it.
    [​IMG]

Fast forward to June, 2010. I'd been saving my pennies for the last couple of years to rebuild the Essex but decided that what I needed was a better space to work in. With that in mind work commenced on my very first workshop. The concrete pad was done at the beginning of the month.

It's not huge, but at 20'x22' it's considerably bigger than the current garage. That one will become a storage building for yard stuff and the odd car part.

So, without further ado, here's what my 2 brothers and I accomplished in 20 hours this weekend...

[​IMG]

I'm the dork in the blue shirt. :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would have had the man door installed at this point, but they sent me the wrong one. :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to have the shop finished so we can start rebuilding the Essex.

2. trad27

trad27

Cool looks good, I am tired just looking at all that work.

3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'm where you were 13 years ago. We've had this house for 4 years, about to sell it, and move somewhere that has a garage out in Thousand Oaks, CA. I'm still building my first car, outside, come rain or shine. There should be a club here on the HAMB for those of us who are akin to the Postman.

Garage looks killer so far....lucky dog! :)

4. 59mercsled

59mercsled

I have a garage but my wife has all her shit in it so i cant even put a car in it let alone work on one in it. LOL. Congrats man i am full of envy.

5. ooops

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Ah, yes. The ladies. My wife and my sister-in-law helped out by bringing us refreshments all weekend. They were probably the most valuable members of the crew. :)

I got half the roof shingled today and started on the second half when I ran out of tar paper. Shit!! Gotta wait till tomorrow to get some more.

7. selohssa

selohssa

Looks like it is coming along well. Enjoy:)

8. One thing i am learning is you can NEVER have too much shed space. Your progress is looking good, and I love the Essex!! Theres a few of them showing up rodded now, nice to see something different.

9. essexrat

essexrat

Looking good Al....It's a wonder you got anything done with all the rain...I probably would have built an ark instead.....keep up the good work.

10. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

You know, I really think you are living my life. You have my truck, my house and just built my new garage. You better not be there when I get home. J.K.

regards Mark

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good job with the new garage - post up some pics when it's done ...

12. Mathew21

Mathew21

Looks Good, I can't wait until I can afford to build me another one.

13. George G

George G

Right on. Every man needs a proper cave!

14. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Reported. :mad:

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hey! Nice going....you have every reason to be proud......thats a lot of work with great results.........now go lay down

16. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks guys!! I'll be posting lots of pics as work progresses.

Thanks! I've been in desperate need of more space for awhile. It feels great to actually be able to build something.
    The Essex has been a love of mine since my friend and his dad built it in the late 70's. I get to take it to the next level now and make it more driver-friendly. Pics to follow as that happens.

Thanks! It's funny you talk about building an ark. We thought we might reverse the plans and put the roof on the bottom to see if it would float!! Sure glad the rain has mostly stopped.

My wife wants to know if you're good-looking and rich. :p:D;)

Thanks! More pics to follow as I get more work done. It's tough as I'm trying to build it between customer jobs and lousy weather.

17. BLZEEBUB

BLZEEBUB
    from Ireland

...nothing like your own garage, right next to your house; keeps your project progressing at pace when you can just duck out of the house and into the garage, do some work and go back in for a break/meal/coffee etc.
    Not all of us are so lucky; where I am at for the past 11/12 years the neighbour next door takes more than a passing interest in everyone else's affairs, and has veto'd a garage, sighting daft reasons, and threatening to call the powers that be re;planning -its a no go, basically.
    I rent a lock-up 15miles away from home; a PITA if you forget something and the fuel costs add up; I have a few O/T cars down there but progress is slow...
    In defiance, I previously built my O/T vw caddy in the back yard on grass through all weather and conditions, moving paving slabs about for work on different 'ends' of the car -progress was slow, but its built now...
    [​IMG]
    Best of luck with finishing up your garage!!

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Awsome man
    I know what its like to not have a place to create..sucks dont it?

I built some Motorcycles in a 8x12 shed for a few years, man did that ever suck!
    than I found a flat to rent in Detroit and lived there for 7 years , it had a 2 car garage and i felt like i was in heaven..
    Got to the point where that space wasnt enough..now i have a 2.5 car garage and a 1000SF pole barn, and i still wish i had more space
    It seems you cant ever build em big enough to keep up with yourself.

shelter is a huge benefit

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

great job, you guys accomplished a lot in a short time! It will make all the difference to work on your car in comfort.

20. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

My wife wants to know if you're good-looking and rich. :p:D;)

Lets just leave it at I am handy, like in the words of Red Green. regards, Mark

21. Isn't the guy in the blue shirt Norm Abrams????

22. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I remember seeing pics of your old garage. Always seemed like a cozy little shop.
    Good luck with your new digs.

23. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

looks like a huge problem waiting to happen.
    more room, more stuff, more projects. looks like your screwed. looks good!:)

24. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks guys!! I am so excited about this build I'm like a little kid at Christmas! :D

Haha, 69F100!! Yes, I'm screwed. Spent Saturday at a farm auction and came home with a trailer-load of stuff for the new shop. Tools, workbenches, assorted junk. LOL

I've been super busy with my business the past few days but I've managed to put in a few hours on the garage. I've got the roof 80% shingled now, hopefully I'll get the rest done tomorrow. Then I can install the man door and the window, and I can bring the Essex out from storage and park it in it's new home. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. congrats. its a great feeling to have somewhere to mess with your toys. i recently rented a home with good sized shed and after 11 years of not having one......
    im sure the essex and you will be very happy. enjoy.

26. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks Kiwi!

'Nother update.
    Man door is installed as is the window.
    [​IMG]

Roof is finally finished! My knees are thanking me. :p
    [​IMG]

I got this cool "Beach" movable workbench at a farm auction last weekend.
    [​IMG]

The Essex tries out the new shop for the first time.
    [​IMG]

It will be nice to finally have some room to work!
    [​IMG]

27. I remember when my shop felt big. Now it feels small.

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Been awhile since I updated this thread. :)
    Aside from rain gutters, the exterior of the shop is finished. The electrical was done on August 20th and all that's really left to do is insulate and finish the interior walls and ceiling. I'll be doing that slowly over the winter as I can afford it.

So, without further ado, some new pics...

There's nine 4' T-8 fluorescent lights in the ceiling with two more mounted over the workbench, run off three switches. More than enough light! I have 18 120V outlets inside, plus three 240V ones for welders and such.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8' x 30" workbench I built...
    [​IMG]

Interior shots.
    [​IMG]

The Organ has already been tossed out in the garbage. It was there for a garage sale but it didn't sell. :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. rick finch

rick finch

Congrats.....looks great.

30. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Looks good , why didn't you sheet the walls before standing them?
    Looks like a proper job , well done.