Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Early Custom Pick

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Here is another photo that Jim Kirstead took. This time it was in 1947 at one of the dry lakes, and the car he photographed was George Barris his 1941 Buick in an early white primer version.
    According to the notes Jim said it was impossible to get a clear shot of the car. Crowds around it all day long.

[​IMG]

2. Rik,this last picture of Georges car is great ! You know how I like that white primer.Thanks for posting :)

3. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

back to the top, anybody got photos of Hal Patersons 41 merc,I know Rik has a few anymore?

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

Stance is CRITICAL - too high and they look dorky, too low and they look broken and/or heavy. Just right and they appear to float. My own car would look a lot better if I could bring the rear end down another inch or two but for various reasons involving unwillingness to undergo major frame and floor pan surgery at this late date I just have to compromise. (And compromise guarantees that a car WON'T be "just right")

5. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a "nice" photo of a 1937 Ford Phaeton . This one comes from an ebay auction (I did not bid on this one though)

Nice period custom (if you think away the parade balloons)
    Single Spotlight mounted with the glass forward like they did back then. Single bar flipper hubcaps, running board removal and rock shield on the skirted rear fender.

[​IMG]

6. That is a good picture Rik,Parade balloons :)

7. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a nice 1939-40 Mercury Convertible.
    The padded top is by Hall of Oakland. The 1941 Ford fenders skirt is something I don't think I have ever seen on a 39-40 Merc before. It does not really flow that well. Also notice the forward pointed Spotlights and the taillights.. which I at first thought where exhaust tips thru the rear fenders. But since there is no sign of another taillight I think these are 1949 Pontiac or something similar ...

Scan from the Ron Brooks Collection

[​IMG]

8. These were posted on the FlatCad Racing thread by RDR. Pictures from Albert Drakes book, "Portland Pictorial: The 1950s".

I thought they should be recorded here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Enbloc.... NICE !!!!! Thanks for posting these pics,another example of a early custom that was more then just looks.I love the way these guys thought back then on a lot of these cars............... Look Good and Go Fast.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  10. [​IMG]
    This beauty forsure belongs on this thread.Thanks for the pics Rik.

11. gascrank

gascrank
    from Indiana

Beautiful craftsmanship,looks like it could have been made for a Hollywood star. It could win an AMBER.

12. This car looks like it should have Bugsy Segal stepping out of it.

13. [​IMG]
    I found pictures of this one that I took at a Culver City show,if im not mistaken Duncun Emmons owned it and now his widow still owns it.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  14. Rikster

Rikster

I love that car... and wonder why its not show more... Somebody should do a nice magazine article on that car. There must be more old photos of it.

Barris photo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The newer picture you posted on the bottom looks like it was taken at the Culver City show that i was at,it was years ago I think in the early 2000's,jim had the Hirohata at the show also.I dont know much about this car but I have always loved it.

16. Rikster

Rikster

I don't think I have posted this one here before.
    A nice early War time photo of this 1937 Ford Convertible with chopped windshield, dark covered padded top. De Soto bumpers, ripple disk hubcaps, aftermarket sealed beam headlights, Spotlight(s) and black wall tires...

nice....

from The Rik Hoving collection
    [​IMG]

17. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Rik and Jeff you guys are killing it! This thread keeps getting better and better, I'm in love with that 35 phaeton.

18. Yes,this is a nice early custom,the ladies look like they are ready to go for a ride.I love those ford split windshields.

19. [​IMG]
    I dont think the Fowler coupe has been posted.This is one of the earliest customs in Los Angeles and would give almost anything to own it.Axle you are lucky and the car looked STUNNING at the show.

20. to this day, the stance on the early customs KILLS me! not exaggerated, not extreme, just right. look at all the space under the front end of the 37 chevy. then look at the profile. so right.

that 37 chevy KILLS me more every time i look at it. it fixes everything i dont like about that model. (the 37 ford aint bad either)

the front end is a MASTERPIECE! the padded top is perfect and the spare tire on the back ties it all in.

it reflects the opulence of the '30s in a working man's car. i'm so in love.

21. Rikster

Rikster

And the good thing... its still around and looking good...

[​IMG]

22. Rikster

Rikster

Larger side view...

[​IMG]

23. Yes! Looking REAL GOOD! I would love to take this out for a long cruise.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Here is one of the many photos I took of it during the GNRS Customs Then & Now gathering.... Perfect! The black walls, the stance!!!

[​IMG]

25. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Thanks for the current pic Rik, now I'm lusting after it! Fowler's coupe is just perfect, white primer and blackwalls never looked so good.

26. [​IMG]
    Rik,check out the grill in the bottom right,it looks like it could be the custom we are talking about that Duncun Emons owned.(one from Culver City show).

27. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

That's Johnny Zaro's Ford I'm pretty sure

28. Ya I think it is(Zaros),if you look real close the grill bars dont go as far under the headlights on the Duncun owned car.

29. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Wish I could walk down that sidewalk in that pic you posted Jeff