Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Don Ferrara '49 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Don Ferrara '49 Ford

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The grill bar is real awkward,, and the crease below the lights are almost calling for a 54 chevy surround, at least the bar and turn signals.
    I am sure he put on a shirt after the hot vinyl upholstery took off a patch of skin,,, but this was the time of Sea Hunt and Lloyd Bridges, who was always shirtless

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  3. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Jonny King???? Can you add more information to this blog? Don's 49 was SWEET!

Jonnie King likes this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

While I agree with the mods you don't care for, but I'd still drive the tar out of this car as it sits.

As far as the shirt goes, I can't help but think of these ads that were in a lot of the magazines of the period.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

5. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Did she ski in high heals?

6. I don't think she's wearing shoes. Just kind of standing tip-toe'd.
    I imagine a heel would just sink in the sand.

chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  7. I agree the front could be better but to me that grille and fender lip was an attempt to mimic the taillight flare and to give an impression of speed.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Do you think the front fender lip was an attempt to mimic the "new for '52" wheel wells, or was he duplicating the flare from the skirts?

The grille opening looks too BIG, my eye wants something above the the custom insert.

But I can really get behind the simple mods he did. Sometimes, understated is better.

9. wayneo00

wayneo00

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Super/Stock Poncho...

YES I sure can ! Thanks S/S Poncho, and, thanks to Ryan for posting this. Over 7 year's ago I posted a Thread here on the man who started me into customs back in 1953...Don Ferrara.

"YOU MIGHT NOT READILY KNOW HIS NAME, but DON FERRARA was one of the earliest post-WWII Hot Rodders & Custom Car Builders in California.

Don built, raced, and, showed his own cars. He built one of the most-Legendary of all '29 Model A's, and, the '49 Ford Coupe he built was the car that started me on the path that I still follow everyday. Without Don Ferrara's influence in my life, you might not be reading these words today here at the H.A.M.B...and the HALL OF FAME LEGENDS SERIES & WebSite might never have existed.

PLEASE, take a few minutes and read my Very Special Tribute Page to DON FERRARA ...and you'll learn not only about his remarkable life and influence in the early days of the Industry, but also how he and his '49 Ford Custom had such a great impact on my life.

AND, more importantly, you'll learn how -54 years later- I was finally able to thank him !" This is the Direct Link to his Tribute Page:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage105.html

Go to my Tribute Page for Don, you will see some rare personal photos that he sent me, and, learn his personal history and what a remarkable life he's had !

He also built boats...like the one you see in the Honk pix, was a Championship Water Skier, an Award Winning Body Builder, learned upholstery from Gaylord's, etc., etc. "Blackie", Barris, Petersen. and, all of his contemporaries new him as a super guy and a "hands on" builder of anything he set his mind to. In addition, he did the upholstery in the Award Winning Barris-built '63 'Vette: "The Asteroid"...and when it was restored a few year's back, he re-did the upholstery (then in his 80's) and supervised much of the rebuild, 'cause he knew how it was done to begin with !

PS: On the Tribute Page, you'll also see some rare pix that Don sent me of the '49 with a matching boat he trailered with it and painted the same Caddy Pastoral Blue color. Then you'll see one that he showed & trailered with the '49 when he painted the both Golden Rod Yellow. (You'll also read the what happened to that beautiful '49 Coupe later on.)

Don and I talk every few months...and he's always been my ultimate R&C personal hero. Like I've told him, and you, if it wasn't for him, you may have never known me.

Respectfully,
    Jonnie King
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    chryslerfan55, lurker mick and Sancho like this.
  11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

typo41...
    Don built this car before the '54s ever came out. The Olds engine had been installed by the previous owner...but after he got it, Don did ALL the body, upholstery, and, paint. As with most in that era, the '49 was Don's daily driver. BTW: typo41, you do some great photography !!

Don also built the boat you see in that photo, and those ski's are his...he towed the boat with the '49 and used that boat to pull him & race in when he became a Championship Skier. You'll see another cool, well-tanned pic of him accepting a trophy on his Tribute Page.http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage105.html

AND, yes, Rolliflex, thanks for that cool "Charles Atlas" ad we saw in almost every mag & comic book back in the 50's ! As I mentioned before Don was a winner in Championship Body Building too.

Again, thanks to Ryan for this great Thread ! Don has been one of the "unsung" Pioneers that all should be made aware of.

Best,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This car is possibly the best example of tuck & roll ever to see print.

13. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

It's beautiful work, I'm not really a fan of the "transverse" floor pleats while everything else is "longitudinal," but it really looks good.

14. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Jonnie King...I visited your web site. What a great story and how wonderfully you've brought it to life! You should be writing for car magazines. What I found especially interesting is how you happened to see an issue of Honk magazine, and how that moment began your life-long interest in rods and customs. I'd like to see a thread on HAMB as to moments in time that individuals can point to as being the birth of their rod/custom devotions. I was born and raised in a small Montana town where there were no nice rods or customs, at least that I can remember. However, there are two moments (one when I was in kindergarten) that I can point back to as giving me my fixation. Thanks again, Jonnie! As for the others here, check out his site. And thanks to HAMB for this and all the other fascinating reads.

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Big Plan Dan...

Many sincere thanks for your great comments, and thoughts on my Site. Reading what you wrote is a truly humbling experience...I'm not usually at a "loss for words", but that's the case here, my friend.

Thanks so much,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

DON FERRARA UPDATE:

As I mentioned previously, Don and I have kept in touch since we made contact back in 2007. Every month or two I'll give him a call, or vice-versa. He's become a good friend, and I am so grateful for that, and I pray for his safety and good health everyday. Don turned 91 last week, and as I do every year I called to wish him "Happy Birthday". His Birthday this year was on Thanksgiving !

He was in great spirits, said he felt good - outside of the normal "aches & pains' that sometimes happen due to age - was getting ready to have lunch with a few good hot rod friends of his, and was, again, so happy that I put a Tribute together for him and shared it with all here at the H.A.M.B.

Don's said he's "old school"...he has a cellphone, but doesn't have, or do anything on a computer. BUT said to tell all of you who take the time to view Ryan's thread on the H.A.M.B., or his Tribute Page on the HOF Legends Site, "Thanks a million ! Keep enjoying your Rods & Customs. Make sure you drive 'em and have fun with 'em...like all of us did all those year's ago !"

If you haven't had a chance to see it yet, or just spotted this great thread that Ryan started, here's the Direct Link to Don's Tribute Page:http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage105.html

And, again, thanks to each and everyone ! Don Ferrara, like Gene Winfield, at 91 is truly one of the great Rod & Custom Pioneers/Legends, that's still with us to learn from and cherish for their longtime contributions to the History of Rods & Customs,

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Jimmy B and 'Mo like this.
  17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

davidvillajr...
    You got it right in the last part of your question.

Don & I talked about this the other day, and he told me he custom-made the skirts (as he did on much of the '49), and wanted the flare on the front wheel wells to "flow" to the fender skirts. It didn't have anything to do with the '52's.

Thanks for bringing this up !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017