Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Dodge Texan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Honestly, as long as I've lived here I've heard /read these comments from people OUT OF STATE about the horrible humidity in Texas. I want to know if you've been more than 150 miles west of the Louisiana border. Sure Houston and up into the Piney Woods can be humid because you are next to the eastern US. After that you are heading into plains, Hill Country or deserts. When I'm driving my '34 convertible coupe these summer evenings and the humidity is around 10 or 15%, I'll be thinking about y'all. I'm 60 miles west of San Antonio and its hard to find moisture from here to El Paso and that is another FIVE HUNDRED MILES.

2. Not even close...Texas was an independent republic long before Lincoln ever came on the national political scene. Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836 after the battles of Coleto Creek, the Alamo, and San Jacinto. The Republic was internationally recognized by the United States, England, and France (among others) after the Treaty of Velasco and was annexed by congress & President Polk on Dec 29 1845 after 9 years as an independent republic. (Lincoln was elected in 1860, btw)

As part of the annexation agreement, Texas gave up its claim to over 1/3 of its territory (which included the Oklahoma panhandle, half of New Mexico, Colorado, and a thin sliver into Wyoming). In return, Texas' war debt was paid off.

Along with a constitution and international recognition, Texas actually had a fully functioning presidency, congress, army, navy, marine corps, and border guard (the Texas Rangers). The Texian Navy holds the distinction of being the only sail-powered navy to engage and defeat a steam-powered navy, when the Texas Navy defeated the Mexican Navy during the 'battle of Campeche' in 1843. (The battle was later commemorated on the cylinder of the infamous Colt Navy revolver).

The California Republic (a product of a quasi-revolt that lasted less than a month), on the other hand, was never internationally recognized, participated in few (if any) engagements, and was generally considered a de-facto uprising.

Texas had a few of those even before the days of the Republic (see Fredonian Rebellion).

But...this is a hot rod forum :D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  3. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

"Pity poor New Mexico...so far from heaven, so close to Texas." -- Clyde Tingley, governor of NM '35 - '39

4. aaggie

aaggie

Dodge also had the Texan version of pick up trucks and the White Hat special edition models that had a white roof and lots of chrome trim.

5. 46stude

46stude

:eek:

That's the most hilarious thing I think I've ever read on the HAMB- ever.

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Negative Lincoln was a politician before a president and he wrote some pretty nasty stuff but he's right it's a hotrod forum and not a history forum so if you want it, I can pm it.

On a side note, it's all educational differences....which is why I've been accepted to the University of Texas and will be rectifying my education come August. =o)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  7. So you'll be getting re-educated, Texas style?

Sounds like fun. :)

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You will have to come to the LSRU Brootal and visit me since I can't seem to get Dave and Binga off their Vegas kick and I'll miss my Aussie Invasion. =o)

9. We'll definitely be heading back there one day, and I'll make damn sure it's during the Roundup! Good new is, my wife thinks Austin is cool as well. :)

10. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

The Dodge Texan is a cool car. I had only read about these cars in magazines until recently I found one for sale about 10 miles up the road from me. The old guy wanted $1500 for it.