Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Dodge Firearrow IV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Dodge Firearrow IV

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Spooky

Spooky

I really like the Dodge!!

3. A work of art.

VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh man, is that ever a sexy beast..... surely would have been great competition for the corvette and thunderbird!!

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

If only...can't even begin to imagine what the following decades of automotive styling would've produced had this been the harbinger.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It looks really fucking heavy to me... But everything you read from the time says it actually handled really favorable over the thunderbird and on par with the corvette - despite that big honking Hemi only making 155 hp, shitty brakes, and the weight...

One thing is certain - I got my ass chewed out pretty good for not mentioning it in my previous article!

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It probably wouldn't look quite as heave if it was lowered 3 or so inches... bring it over , let's lower it!!

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think I prefer the lines of the FireArrow II:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

tractorguy, LOST ANGEL, rod1 and 8 others like this.
  9. t black car is the Bomb!

Actually, all three are beautiful cars. HRP
    [​IMG]

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

While doing research on this thing, I saw a marketing document whose purpose was to show that this car was incredibly close to production. I mean, the plug was pulled just before the money was spent...

Anyway, one of the prompts was:

"Explain the power behind the naming convention of the Firearrow."

This document wasn't filled out at all, so I decided to tackle this one. Here's my best attempt:

Just soak in the audacity of that name – Firearrow! I mean, seriously, wrap your head around it. We mashed it up into a single, badass word, and somehow, it just cranks the coolness up to eleven. Screw the run-of-the-mill Firebird and the Burt Reynolds nostalgia trip – what we need is the primal scream of FIREARROW! It's not just a name; it's a goddamn war cry, a rebellious howl in the face of the ordinary. Embrace the chaos, my friend, and let the FIREARROW blaze a trail of mayhem!

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

12. SS327

SS327

Sorry, I think they are all ugly as sin. When I hear the words “Looks Sophisticated “ that’s code for ugly as hell. I’m rich and pompous and I’m struggling to help out this crappy artist but he’s really bad. European automotive styling in my eye has never been attractive. I don’t know why Americans are so ga ga over it? Is it because it is so different? I just never cared for it. It’s like they put a bunch of lines together that just don’t belong next to each other.
    Who knows, maybe I’m the one that’s wrong? Maybe I don’t have the eye of an artist? Maybe I’m just an old unsophisticated hillbilly? But I really don’t care for those designs. Now with my opinion out of the way on that I do like how it looks sectioned to bring down the height of the overall vehicle.
    I know I’m going to get flamed and probably run out of here for these opinions expressed. I’m sorry.

Sharpone likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like that one better also, I think the pale yellow color, simpler grille (although it is a little "fish mouthed")
    lack of door handles and no front nerf/bumpers all contribute to making it cleaner looking... cool car

14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I don't know how heavy it might have been -- and 145 HP out of the Dodge could easily been modified by the factory to 170 or so. I believe Chevy boosted the 6-cyl. Corvette that year to 160 -- and all of them had that great performance of a stock PowerGlide (at least that's what the 1953 specs I found were).

I like the yellow one, too.

15. Sharpone

Sharpone

I like em ,yep the yellow one is coolest, just imagine what would’ve transpired with the vette and t bird especially the t bird maybe ford would’ve kept it a two seater. HEMI power is Hemi power no matter how you slice it. I’m sure the cubes and HP would’ve been bumped up over the years. SS327 who knows what the holligans in the day would’ve done with these cars ,cool things I’ll bet. I can see headers coming out of the fenders or side pipes or…,,
    Dan

VANDENPLAS, Tow Truck Tom and SS327 like this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

To me a two seater built on a 119” wheelbase is too massive and not sporty enough. GM and Ford relied on their own stylists while Chrysler, and Hudson too as seen below, turned to Italian designers but I find the American designs cleaner and less clunky looking. JMO.

IMG_9950.jpeg IMG_9951.jpeg

VANDENPLAS and SS327 like this.
  17. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I'd drive the black one all day long. To me the grille on the red one is like a set of over-botoxed lips with chrome lipstick on them. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.:rolleyes:

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To me, Italian designs from Ferrari, Alpha, Fiat, Abarth, etc... of the 1950s are far more svelte and sophisticated than American designs of the same period. And I think that's why you saw so many custom car guys emulating their details on American cars. Things like rounded corners, pancaked hoods, minimal bright work, etc... were all things Italians did on production cars.

That being said, when American designers collaborated with Europeans (mostly Ghia) you often got some clunky shit for sure. However, every once in a while the moons would align and something glorious would result. Examples of this are:

1. 1953 Cadillac 62 by Ghia
    cad.jpg

To me, this car is breathtaking... I love the marriage of Detroit Chrome with the almost Jag inspired front end. And that sharp almost Bill Mitchell style fender line? Good god man...

2. The 1953 Ghia/Chrylser Supersonic
    super.jpg

This is one of the car's that Exner worked on for decades - continually redesigning it on paper. But honestly, I don't think it ever got better than the Supersonic. I consider it one of the most beautiful cars ever made. It's like a Ferrari 250 GTO with an American soul...

3. 1953 Chrysler Special Coupe
    [​IMG]

We've talked about this one... And while lots of people hated on it, I still love this damned car. To me, this is the perfect marriage of American brunt with European style. It's like a more elegantly designed Cobra Coupe birthed 10 years earlier.

4. 1965 Iso Rivolta Daytona
    iso.jpg

Designed by Giotto Bizzarrini to race against Europeans with American power. Probably my favorite car to EVER run a Chrysler motor, but they were also available with a high revving SBC. I almost bought one of these at Auction about a decade ago and lost out by $1k. They now bring an untouchable amount of money and I kick myself often for getting cheap at the worst of times.

A 1964 Iso Rivolta GT with a 327" sbc just sold locally to me... It's not nearly as cool as the Daytona, but still a hell of handsome GT car. One of your moderators damn near bought it.

***​

But yeah... Weird shit often happened with these collaborations. Pininfarina is widely known as the best design house to ever exist, but when they collaborated with Cadillac in the 1950's? Good god it was terrible:

cad2.jpg

I think in order for this collaboration to have worked in the 1950's, it took designers on both sides of the pond to be flexible and have perspective. If either side bowed their chest and took too many pieces of pizza, the whole thing just sort of sunk to design by committee bullshit.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not as soon as I posted, I got a PM asking about the Iso Rovolta GT/IR. It was sort of the touring variation of the Daytona and while not quite as cool, still neat. It reminds me of a wild night out at the bar. It's like a mustang woke up in a really expensive hotel laying next to a Riviera and a 60's era BMW and without any memory of how he got there.

iso1.jpg

iso2.jpg

iso3.jpg

These were mostly SBC powered... backed by a muncie... But the chassis was far more sophisticated than anything the big manufacturers were doing. I think like 95% of the motor is behind the front axles, so it's basically mid-engined. Keep in mind, these cars were mostly built in the early 60's... I think last year of production was '65 or '66? Way ahead of their time.

If you ever get the chance, google Iso Rivolta and read the story of the company... It's pretty cool.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Took a few years but obviously the guys in Sweden had been paying attention.

Attached Files:

NoSurf, VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I had never made that connection... You aren't wrong man.

NoSurf, VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  22. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

The black one….hell yeah!! The yellow one looks too Plymouthy in front, otherwise pretty cool. Studebaker should have sued Pinninfarina for stealing their design, or built their own convertible.

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just scrolled through this whole thread and I don't like any of 'em. Gimme some old American designs anyday.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To be fair, more than half of the cars on this thread were designed by Exner… so, it’s Chryslers that you don’t like. :)

25. ProtoTypeDesignFlauz

ProtoTypeDesignFlauz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That grille on that first red car is over the top, I like it!

Sharpone likes this.
  26. I don’t imagine it’s a secret around here that I’m an Exner fan, glorious in their excess, over the top styling. They thumb their nose at the plain vanilla squares that are the regular cars of the era.

God damn beautiful is what they are!

I mean…FIREARROW….hell yes.

27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Au contraire. I'm a big fan of "The Forward Look". This European stuff just doesn't do it for me.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The firearrow isn’t European. It was designed by Exner for Chrysler and was set for production. Ghia was used to make the body for the prototype because they won the bid, but this car was set to be Chrysler’s sports car.

41 GMC K-18, VANDENPLAS and Sharpone like this.
  29. Can you imagine the marketing campaign?

Picture this: The Firearrow approaching on the horizon, getting ever closer, the camera tries to keep up as the car rockets past in flash of brilliance, Hemi engine growling like the hounds of hell.

The tagline you ask?

“From Satans quiver, we bring you Firearrow”

If they built this chariot from the underworld, woman and children would run in fear, full grown men would shake in their boots, it would be a vessel to transport only the fearless.

Corvettes and Thunderbirds would have relieved themselves of their transmission fluid in puddles of shame at the very sight of this miracle that was born from the flames of hell itself.

Someone once told me art is something that evokes emotion from people, apparently the Firearrow has done that for me…

30. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

The Firearrow IV car seems to "heavy" looking and to "busy" in the front view.
    The Firearrow II is a different story, seemingly more uncluttered, if you will. The side view, from the front fenderwell back, sort of reminds me of a shoebox Ford.