Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Doctor said I could return to the Hot- Rod shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donald A. Smith, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

I got to go out to my Hot- Rod shop for the first time sense may 10-15. I finnaly had to have a total right hip replacement . It is sore but getting better! I was able to install my electric wind shield wiper set up. I got the set up from speedway, it was very nice to install a product and have it work. Hats off to speedway I will order more parts from them. Well I just wanted to say Hi and lets go Hot- Rodding!!!! Don in N. W. Indiana

2. Glad your up and around!!! Beats the alternative. Tim

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Good to hear,my Doc is talking about me getting a left hip replacement,,I ask him when and his response was.."You'll know when and then you will tell me"

Them Damn old Harleys can put a hurt on ya.HRP

4. aaggie

aaggie

It's always a good day when you look down at the grass.

5. Good,just go easy on it.

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Nice to see a positive post re Speedway, and I wish you continued improvement!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats on repairs to you and your ride. ad in the local paper said that with a robotic machine could do a hip/knee replacement and then have you up walking all in one day. figure they must provide a lot of medications

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Hell yeah! Get out there, just go easy. Getting back out there will do wonders for your mental state.

9. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

glad your up and going, dont overdo it!

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I know what you mean - I had back surgery that same week - every time I head to the garage SHE says "where you going" - LOL!

11. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Glad that you're up and tinkering. Take it easy.

12. Roger53

Roger53

It's good thing more replacemant parts are coming out for the hot rodder along with the car parts too. It's good your up and about it's pretty good meds all by it's self.Roger

13. I have a friend that fell off a ladder 6 weeks after a hip replacement, broke the new hip joint out of his femur, they did surgery to put it back together, didn't heal right, so he just had a second "fix it" surgery and is hoping this will take care of it. Have fun in the garage, but be very careful, so you don't fall and hurt it.

14. Hope your replacement parts fit better than most of the repop parts we buy! Just being a jerk! Glad your doing well.

yruhot likes this.
  15. stimpy

stimpy

neighbor ( 55) has his done 5 years ago and then find out the unit s were both recalled as the joint socket was wearing , had the new replacement ones put in in march , was up and at it by the end of may . hes still a little sore but is getting around lots better than 5 years ago before it was done . make sure you listen to your therapist they will make it worth the pain as it will be less as you get the use of it .

16. jazz1

jazz1

Take it easy and heal,,you sure don't want to go through another surgery like that.
    I thought i had a bad hip,,thats where pain "exited" Turned out I need spinal fusion.. I am 3 weeks into recovery. Way better but i cant lift over 10 lbs for 3 months and wearing full back/chest brace. 5 hours on the hoist to have 6 screws inserted and 3 vertebrae caged. My garage is getting to freakin' clean and I'm finding stuff long forgotten..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Have fun out in the garage, but pace yourself. Like others have said, don't overdo it.

18. Congrats.

Good to be back in the saddle isn't it. ;)

19. 6-71

6-71

I had both knees and my left hip replaced in 2009,I am doing well,but I did give up climbing ladders.I am almost 69,and I don't spring back from injury like I used to.Don't try to do too much too soon.My surgeon says the replacements are not intended as a quick fix,but the goal is long term results.

20. Like others have said- TAKE IT EASY! slow and steady......... our twenty's and bullet proof were years ago..... Don't push yourself......it will come back in time. Glad your back enjoying.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see that you are able to get back at it Donald. As the others said don't over do it and from what I learned going to pre surgery classes with my 89 year old mom this year don't get in positions that might cause a malfunction in the joint.
    I keep thinking that I may end up that parts replaced club with all the aches and pains I have in my hips and knees.

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm still recovering from a Feb 2014 shoulder injury and July 2014 reconstruction. Top it off with 2 x 2015 aggravations and bulging discs in neck. Take it easy. It will never be 100%, something I'm still learning to live with.

23. yruhot

yruhot

And wake up on the right side of it.lol.

24. yruhot

yruhot

Benn going through some challenges medically lately myself and I find working on the old cars very therapeutic. Obviously take it slow and I imagine you will be ok. I also have great service with speedway over the years. I know everyone will have a horror story but thats mine and I stickininin to it. Good luck on your recovery and as Clint Eastwood says:" A mans got to know his limitations.

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

After living with a hot poker in my chest for a week, the doctor said 'Your Gall Bladder has to come out".
    And by the way you can't pick up anything heaver than 10 pounds for 6 weeks or you will bust the stitching and then you will be out of commission for three months.
    I was banned from my shop by the better-knowing wife because she knew what I would do. I did get caught up with my magazine subscriptions...

26. 59 brook

59 brook

my wife just had both hips replaced in the past 1-1/2. her recovery was rougghly 3 months for the first one. her question to the doctor was about the second hip and sure enough. the first one was doing well and 2 or 3 months later the 2nd one started hurting and 3 months later christmas time last year for the first time since i have known her for 14 yrs she was in so much pain she actually let me get a wheelchair for her. As soon as we got home she made an appointment for the second and 2 months later it was done. There is a new style replacement hip which is done thru the front and is much easier they say. She was walking the same day

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Welcome Back !!!!!
    Glad you are doing well.

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey congratulations. I had mine replaced almost 3 years ago. I remember the first day I could go out and work in the shop, you will too. It gets better, you'll see.

29. Congratulations. It is a great feeling to be able to get back to doing something you love to do. I know 'cause I had been unable to work in my shop for over a year for medical reasons. Now I'm back at it on a kind of limited basis and it feels great. Some days are better than others but they are all good!

Best of luck to you and enjoy!