Register now to get rid of these ads!

The DO NOT TOUCH!!! Guy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by felix37, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

2. KraQer

KraQer
    from Austin TX

That was very nice. This year at the LSRU show, i told a guy his lil booger can sit in it if he wants to take a pic, Would of been bad ass when i was a kid too. they did so thanked me and moved on. You would think that this interaction was complete,,,,no...no. Me and the old lady go walkin around and come back to find the lil shit sittin in my truck again pretending to drive yanking on the wheel throwin the shifter around, and god knows he farted in there too,, DAD nowhere to be found!!! ask him politely to go find his old man, so here we are again. back to the word RESPECT. See am i the only one who's old man would shut off cartoons in the morning and throw on some old westerns to teach me about respect to others and how to treat women?

3. Saxxon

Saxxon

This one is a little odd but still on topic. A few years back I built a motorized bar stool. We had it at one of the outdoor events where it got a lot of attention. One guy in particular was very interested and full of questions about how it was built and where to get parts. He came by 3 or 4 times throughout the day. As we were packing up he showed up again and this time he asked if he could drive it for a bit. With a lot of bad feelings about it I eventually agreed, but only if he promised to keep it slow and only if he left his girlfriend with us as colateral. Well... 2 minutes after he got on it he was full throttle and gone. We saw him zip past a couple of times having a whole bunch of fun. He completely refused to acknowledge us waving him down. His girlfriend looked absolutely mortified. 5 minutes later a friend of mine wandered by and told me some goof was over by the 4x4 tug of war area with my barstool. I wandered over (in a hurry) and found him pulling against a golf cart. I walked straight over and pushed him off backwards as hard as I could, and I'm not a small guy. He landed real hard but recovered quickly and stood up completely in shock and incredulous that I had attacked him. I countered with a comment that he was lucky I didn't kick the crap out of him or call the police for the theft of my machine. The fact I had my brother and 2 other guys including one of the event coordinators with me kept the peace. This guy had no clue that he had done anything wrong and had no respect for another's property. Same guy the following year stopped by long enough to call me an ass hole before he moved on.

4. slick 65

slick 65

only problems i ever had a show was when people messed with my air ride switches or tried to honk the train horns.

5. exactly!

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

The reality is most of the "violators" are "car guys" themselves that somehow feel entitled to do what they want with another owners car. I don't have anything worthy of a card in the window but I still don't want people opening my door or hood, but that is mostly due to the fact that they need slammed to get shut. I have let others in my cars but that is usually after you talk with them and see there interest in your ride and have a respect for it. About 8 years ago I was at a local show with 2 of my boys. They know the drill about not touching and they were in awe of a T and the owners says throw em in take some pics, it did make there day. At that time we had a 63 Impala, so an old car yes but not a hot rod.

We do a Friday night hangout at my shop quite often in the summer. Mind you we're are family orientated but do expect kids to act responsibly. Well there was a guy who has quite a collection but really doesn't do the shows there and low and behold the grandson of another attender was there running a matchbox car on the rear fender of this guys 34 ford. Could of got real ugly. The kids grandpa is high end painter in the area as well.

Even when you can't control everything, some people should take certain precautions when having kids with them, i.e. no cars, no bikes, skateboards, scooters etc. Hell I am all over my kids when I hear them scuffing their shoes in gravel when any car is around.

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree 100%. I'd be more than happy to let any children (or adults for that matter) sit in my car, or even go for a ride, if they ask. But inevitably there are the kids that jump up against the car with rivets on their jeans, people that knock on cars like their trying to find a stud in a wall to determine if the car is steel or 'glass, or my favorite, the women who think (usually generously) that they're models and plop their ass all over a nicely painted car for an impromptu photo shoot. It's for those folks that the signs are for.

I worked more hours than I care to think about to get my car to where it is. It's not right for some careless, inconsiderate jackass to come and mess it up for me.

8. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

These are the fuck-stick culprits that will, or attempt to, take the jam out of your doughnut at events. storm king in post #8 nailed it. If you are going to leave your car at a venue, keep in mind the venue is going to be attended by the public and there is no greater mass gathering of stupidity than those that are in public.

9. fonti

fonti

I don't care if they "touch" my car.
    But when they put their kids on the runningboards to jump up and down or sit them in the car (without asking) for a foto shoot - me not like!!
    IF they ask they can sit in there or I also take them for a spin...no problem.

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This lady – apparently a coworker – felt comfortable enough to lean on the front of my truck, take some photos and post them on her blog. Have to admit I was annoyed by it, but it's obvious there was no damage done. I will mention it if I ever run into her though.

Truck leaner

11. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Blah...Blah...Blah.
    This thread is useless and I can't believe I'm posting.

You want to touch the rides them touch the damn things. IT'S JUST A CAR!!!!!
    You call them "GoldChainers" and half of you guys here are "Elitist" just because your cars are built in your perception of "Traditional" and you feel that you rate some different level of respect?
    Build'em Drive'em and hell some of us crash the damn things. So who cares about an itty bitty sign telling you not to do something.

Viva

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for putting so well!
    Paul

13. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

vivalahotrod has got it,thats the way it should be!

14. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I think Zookeeper nailed it---some people think their cars are icons. They're just cars--a Do Not Touch sign is a challenge.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Is it any wonder that at big shows like the GNRS there are ropes and fancy displays on some of the valuable cars? Ya think they put it there just to fluff up the display area? On the other hand, is it any wonder that the vast majority of the crowd at a concourse event like Peble Beach doesn't even think of leaning on the cars? It just depends if you have any respect for others or what they do. Why should I have to keep an eye out for bicycles, scooters for the disabled, wheel chairs, skateboards, models and photographers using a car for a prop, bikers or truckers with those dumb key chains and wallets, mom's with big, metal-trimmed purses, baby strollers, kids screaming and running around, etc. etc.? Cause someone will probaby have to. Conversely, if you have a rough car and don't care about or need the extra patina, you can let the crowd play "The Wild One" all day long with your ride while you tell everyone how cool you are and diss everyone else who doesn't think quite like you. Gary

16. I know longer attend 'free' car shows, as a spectator or participant.

When you have to pay for a car show, the people that go are generally car people and know enough not to crawl all over a car, open the door, lean, etc.

The only thing you have to worry about at pay car shows are the Bettie Page wanna-bes hopping up on your fender for "artsy" photos

17. my opinion is, if you want a closer look, ask. the people that piss me off are the young parents, one with a toddler and one kid older, who let their kids drag their ice cream coated hands along the car, or the kid that is doing a chin-up on the door-and when you say something to them about please not letting the kids all over the car, THEY GET HUFFY WITH YOU.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So they annoy you, but now you laugh at them? Usually when I'm annoyed I don't laugh.

Interesting "rant?".

My cars are drivers, I don't care if people touch them. If I walk by one that has the signs posted all over them, and the owner is close by in their recliner, I sidle up next to them, upwind, and try my hardest to push out a cheesy blaster fart.

19. 5window

5window

It's not your car, not your time and money and, frankly, none of your business. If you don't like what you see, move on. Hands on is always cool, but the owner didn't come to the show for your approval anyway.

20. cederholm

cederholm

Just came back from a small outdoor show. Mostly stock but a handful of rods. Had my kids with me (5 and 6) and I'm strick with them - NO TOUCHING!! They spot a very pretty 32 5w - A little to street rod for me, but a real great looking car. My kids are trying their best to see inside and my daughter steps on the runing board - very lightly. ... I snap at her. The owner, seeing how much the kids like the car, says "Don't step on the running boards - that's no fun, put her inside!! ...and toss your son in the rumble seat!!" He made those little kid's day. That's a rod owner with class!

21. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

5window nailed it.

I'm sure the people who say "it's just a car", "touch it any way" have never had damage done to their car at a show & been stuck paying for the repair themselves.
    Just because one has insurance doesn't make it ok to lean on & scratch the paint, break an ornament, etc.

I have NO problem running people I don't know off from my car who cross boundaries.
    to me it's not just a car, its blood, sweat, tears. Countless hours & dollars crafting what I want the car to be, & enjoy. Never have I built one with the thought that it's ok for someone to destroy any part of it in any way.

22. I reprinted the sign to read " you don't have to NUDE to touch this car"
    I will let people sit in my truck when they ask, as it has a 6" chop and 6" channel
    and looks too small to fit in....I'm 6'2" 270 and fit it just fine.....
    The last show it was in, January, there was a car that had at least 5 do not touch signs....

23. wkrman

wkrman

I don't mind the touching - but then the guy starts talking to ya about the things he would have done different , I have had it happen

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

some people just have no respect.

and if you watch those type, they probably dont care much for anything

I have a sticker on the helmet i leave on the seat of my harley it says
    "If you value your life as much as i value this bike, dont fuck with it"

I really think it coes down to respect period.,even if someones car looks like a piece of clapped out shit , that still doesnt give anone the right to abuse it at least without any permission

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  25. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

26. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Right on!

27. I'm the guy that encourages people of all ages to "Touch" my ride at car shows. I have no fancy paint, but I have a cool old truck that children seem to be drawn to. I believe the movie "CARS" with the talking tow truck "Tow Mater" has really made kids curious about these old trucks.
    We allow children of all ages to get in, touch, feel, turn the handles, run the windshield crank in and out, and take pictures. We have a master cutoff switch and cut all power to the switches, also we have a park brake and a lock out in park, which we use.
    I feel by encouraging young people to get comfortable with these old vehicles it will perpetuate the sport.
    At car shows, we generally have a line of people waiting for a chance to get in the truck. I feel great sharing with everybody, and I don't worry about the kids hurting anything, I'm right there to teach them about old cars and trucks. I had a crippled up elderly lady eager to get into the truck with help, made her day to reminisce about the old days when she drove a truck like this on the farm as a teenager, made my day to share with her.

Attached Files:

28. If you don't want stone chips, stay off gravel roads. If you don't want anyone to touch your car stay away from outdoor shows. I will say that there is a big difference between touching and sliding down the fender. I've been to alot of outdoor shows and can say that I've never really had a problem with damage. I had a set of binoculars stolen off my front seat last year though, pissed me off, but only because I should have known better.

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This thread just won't die, and it's not even the first of its kind. What's the big deal about signs anyway?
    What it's really about (and become) is an argument about whether people should touch other people's stuff without permission.

I'm no "gold-chainer". My car is a decent driver with an old but shiny (and fragile) paint job. It's not perfect but I fret over every new chip and flake because I don't look forward to stripping it down and repainting it. I also work hard to clean it up for cruises and shows because I have a touch of pride in my work.

Keep your hands off my car, my wife, my kids, my treasures, my junk, my toys, my tools, my everything. This is not an "elitist" concept. Is that so hard to understand?

30. GREASER815

GREASER815

WHO CARES! Do you really walk around a show touching everyones car anyway? If you have not noticed, alot of these cruises and events are free. So, that means everyone comes to look and touch because 90% of them don't know the value of everything they are surrounded by. They just walked downtown because it is a FREE night out. And with them they bring their 8 kids on bikes, their dogs on chains, their skateboards, mini electric scooters, etc... I think the signs are kind of gay, but just watch around next time your at a cruise and youll see why they have the mentality that they do. Thats my rant, and NO, I do not use the signs, just sayin....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.