Register now to get rid of these ads!

The disease - my latest acquisition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Well, I had one last time I was here in the UK, but sold it before I returned because we ended up shipping a "practical" car back. This time, I don't need a practical car to ship back, so this one's going home with me.

It was restored and sat in a garage for 16 years - I did a very quick rinse/wash this afternoon to get all the dust & dirt (well, most of it) off and it looks even better.

It runs, but the gas tank needs cleaning as I imagine the carb does as well - idle is very high and it wants to stall coming off the line. Haven't been more than around the driveway with it yet. Got a 12V battery in there, but it's still 6V - think the voltage regulator is toast as the poor little generator (nee - dynamo) is putting out somewhere near 14V! (no, I don't think it has been converted to 12V, but...)

Plans are to get it sorted, and tested (MOT) and back on the road as-is. Then, get a V8-60 in it!! A 3/4 scale flathead for a 3/4 scale Model-40 Tudor!

This one is in much better shape - body-wise - than my last one. Needs a thorough cleaning inside and out, but all in all, pretty good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I think those little cars are cool. Good luck with the project.

3. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Wow, something with less room then an early ford!
    That's a really cool. wonder how it would look channeled and fenderless? :)

4. RussTee

RussTee

Miss Jilly has two of them here in New Zealand lot of fun everybody loves them

5. I LOVE the Model Y's - wish I could find one in Canada :(

Steve

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That little shit is neat!

7. displaced_kiwi

displaced_kiwi
    from Olathe KS

Thats cool and would create a lot of attention in the States. I tried to buy a Y when I was a teenager but the seller didn't choose me to sell it to. At that time I would have fully restored it.
    How about swapping in a 10hp and putting some aquaplane parts on it!
    Of course I have no idea these days on scarcity and pricing for 1172 performance parts?

8. That needs a blown Daimler hemi!

9. Always dug the Model Y! Good score man!

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Can't believe I've finally go the chance to post this first....................ready?........................CHOP THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!! Boy, that felt good.............worth the wait.:rolleyes:

Frank

11. metalman

metalman

Wow Ernie, that's pretty cool. If you bring it back to NM no one will have a clue what is is! (not many in these parts)

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I might do an 1172 initially - so I can gear it up with tires. Stock, it's got a 5.5:1 rear gear and is buzzing about 3200 at 45mph. If I fit some 5.25-21 tires (tyres!) on Model-A rims, I can get 10 more MPH out of it for the same RPM - not sure the poor little 8HP would pull it though! ;)

Tape-measure engineering shows the steering column is in the way for the V860 swap - nothing insurmountable, but will require some sort of reengineering....the 1172 will go in with minor work.

13. Double check your voltage. My 1930 Rolls Royce was 12 volt from new as were most European cars of the time.

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The bangers are just about too big believe it or not. A Jeep Go-Devil would probably fit - just. The V8-60 is going to require the rad to move forward a bit, but there's room for that.

Naw - all EnFo were 6V positive ground. It's a 3-brush generator, so I suspect the third brush is either not making contact or otherwise not working properly...

That said, it does have an electric wiper and the tail light lenses were both off, so I don't know if they weren't in the middle of a conversion (bulbs are still 6V, I think - will look closer tomorrow) - will check the electric motor when I get a chance - it runs at a normal speed on 12+ volts, so maybe....

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

About 12 years ago, I had a Bright CHERRY Red 33 Model Y with a Full Chrome IDR Jag Rear End, And chrome front axle with a Chevy Iron Duke 4 banger , 4W disc brakes, Halibrands wheels with knoock offs and a full Conally Leather bucket seat Interior. It was one of the most eye popping cars I have ever owned and pictured in Rod and Custom magazine and video on Hot Rod TV narrated by Brent ???? can't remmeber his name when it was a car show. still have the video - haven't seen it in years - have to look at it again for fun.

Loved it - but out grew it.

Looked like a 34 ford sedan that got put in very HOT WATER and shrunk to about 3/4 scale.

Cool car and many memories.

Cob

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Chevy Iron Duke 151 CU fits like a glove

Cob

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just done some sleuthing - appears to have been in the middle of a 12V conversion when it got abandoned. Wiper motor is 12V, bulbs in taillights and front markers are 12V - main headlight bulbs are still 6V - they're slightly odd, so will have to find replacement 12V. Also, coil needs to be changed, or heavy ballast added.

18. Several years ago, there was a company that sold....dare I say it.....(fiberglass) Model Y bodies. I think it was called Flatlanders somewhere in Virginia.

I think one would be cool done up hot rod. Kinda Model-40-meets-Anglia cool!

19. just put resistors on the headlights and use 'em.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure it was Gibbon that did the fiberglass ones.

21. Yes it was, we discussed them last year at some point.

22. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Nice find Ernie.Can we expect a build thread?
    Takes me back to 'Small Fry' on the cover of Custom Car magazine.

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Build? Not yet. I don't know how much "build" there will be. For now, it will be a "get it on the road" project. If I can locate a suitable V860, I may do a temporary adaptation to the stock drivetrain so I can export it (has to be running/driving OTR for my 'Uncle' to ship it for me) - eventually, it'll get a proper build.

Long term will be V8-60, probably T5, but M21 isn't out of the question, and either 2 short half E83W axles, or narrowed Model-A with T5 being Jeep modified for torque-tube. Front axle will likely be custom tube (so I can get the narrow width) with early Ford spindles and F100 brakes up front - early Ford brakes out back.

Adapting the V860 to the stock drivetrain seems do-able with a modified stock tranny case (which I have access to stock cases) and a hogshead to mate it to the 60. The biggest obstacle to a "quick" bolt-in is the steering - will likely have to be converted to side steer vs cross steer, but I really can't steepen the angle of the column much, so that likely means ujoints...we'll burn that bridge when we get there! ;)

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Got a chance to take a pic of the wiper motor:

[​IMG]

Markings are:

Nippondenso ND
    059130-0520
    12V 9C

It's about 2" from the back of the motor (closest to you in the pic) to the front of the header panel where the shaft goes through - very compact motor. I could see this in the header of any 1930s car...

...if anyone can cross-reference the motor number to find the original application. ;)

25. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Heres our Y , my bro built it , I got it off him for my wife ,should be getting into it this year.

Attached Files:

26. RussTee

RussTee

Now come on Steve show them young Bills just for some true inspiration

27. that will be a bitchin little hot rod!