Register now to get rid of these ads!

"the- DID YOU KNOW?" or "HAMB.....HOLLANDER[TM]" POST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Sep 22, 2005.

1. kentucky

kentucky

This is fairly common knowledge among us "Ford Guys"...

75-80 Granada/Marquis spindles bolt on to many early 60's Ford cars, giving you disc brakes and 5 lug bolt pattern. This is the "hot setup" for swapping a V8 in to a 6 cylinder car. This works on Falcons, Comets, Mustangs, Cougars, and I think the intermediate bodies like Fairlanes too. Other donors can be the Mavericks and Comets with disc brakes. 68-73 Mustang discs bolt on too but parts are a little higher. If you do this swap grab everything from the dust cap to the Master Cylinder, including proportioning valve and lines if possible, also the brackets that bolt the hoses to the frame.

BTW Lincoln Versailles spindles also work but you need a ball joint adapter from mustangsteve.com they also sell tie rod adapters for using 6 cyl steering components.

If you find a good Granada donor grab the gas pedal and cable assembly, sway bar, and rear end too. I got the leaf springs, hangers, shock mounts and E-brake cables too. The gas tank is an easy swap in 50's trucks.

2. Weed

Weed

Did you know that a 34 chevy dash slips right into a 30-31 model A like it belongs there? The contour of the dash rail is perfect between the two. Just little spots on either end to close up on the top of the dash.

3. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

8.8" rears are usually expensive in a junkyard if they are on a Ford product. All rear wheel drive Volvos from 86-95 (last of the RWD) use the 8.8, are SAE hardware and take Ford wheels. Ratios are mostly 3.73 or 4.10 and discs are quite common.
    Since Volvos almost never need a rear they are often available super cheap.
    They are the right width for a Model A as well as most other Fords into the 50's. Power handling capability is between the 8" and 9".

Crusty Nut likes this.
  4. Missing Link

Missing Link

If you are swapping the rear out of your 46 thru 48 ford and looking at a parallel leaf spring set up, 74-75 chevy novas and/or buick apollos fit perfectly. ;)

5. steevil

steevil

jeep Grand Cherokee spare tire is 16"x4½" and has the popular 5 x4½ bolt pattern. No provision for hub cap if you are going for that look.

1986 EFI ford 302's came equipped with a roller cam but had no valve reliefs in the pistons and came with a poor flowing cylinder head.

9.2 to 1 compression vs. 9 to 1 compression on later year engines.

Ford Ranger 7.5/ 8.8 axles are offset to the passenger side. This would be a great axle to use should you need to offset your engine for steering clearance.

6. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

It's more than just Nova and Apollo....

Remember this N.O.V.A. The letters stand for the cars you can get parts out of.

Nova
    Omega
    Ventura
    Apollo

All 4 are interchangable as far as mechanical parts go. In my area, Nova parts are expensive, but the rest of the O.V.A stuff is give away cheap because the cars aren't as popular.

7. Most rear paralell leaf kits made-are basically selling you, a set of 67 68 Dodge PU frt springs........5-7 leaves- too much spring and too many leafs USUALLY-
    The Front springs from a Dodge Ramcharger[78-79] are available in a MONOleaf and are 2-1/2 wide and 46" eye to eye....Virtually no arch......[needing no blocks:p ]
    Same as the ones the "kits" are:D BUT- the are flatter and dont need a leaf taken out to reduce the ass hammering the "kit" springs give ya!

another choice is to use front springs from a 4x4 Blazer[fullsize][ say 73-87] =really flat= and about same dimensions.

On a 48 chevy sedan once -I used the rear leafs from a 76Datsun pickup on the rear of it -and it sat low ,with no lowering blocks needed.

For short shocks on a Model A with Early Ford I-beam front -I usually use 73-up Chevy pickup front shocks-

They are real short and are about the right rate of rebound to control roll well.

8. klazurfer

klazurfer

:) Guide & BLC headlamps for cars & Trucks have the same headlamp Bezel as 49-59 Harley Davidson.( Incase you have a headlamp missing a bezel )

9. Squablow

Squablow

10. N0-Squablow- I made some frt brackets from C channel and cut a 1-1/2" hole thru rail at rear and welded a pipe in to hold the upper rear shackle bushing....& then used a Nova rear end.........

11. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

1957 Chevy front yoke fits the 1957-up Ford driveshaft and is splined to fit the 1949-1956 Ford tranny.

12. old beet

old beet

When I put a 390GT and toploader in my 56 Merc I think I used a stock 57 Chev driveshaft, yoke and all..............OLDBEET

13. I'm lovin' this post, so B.T.T.Frickin'.T.

14. old beet

old beet

Off the wall but, K-MEMBER replaced the rear axle in his 50 Stude. Used a 8in Ford and the stock driveshaft and U-joint worked. Go figger!..........OLDBEET

15. HA!! Klaz, I'm missing TWO!.....but that was how I got them cheap! Thanks for that one!

16. THIS IS A GR8T THREAD!

thought it should come back up and get some new life and info.

come on gurus and keepers of car secrets

17. belair

belair

Was told the exterior bed light on 67-72 Chevy trucks is the same as the 67-69 RS reverse lights.

18. A friend of mine has built a 35 Ford coupe and 47 Ford coupe using Ford Courier trucks for parts such as the rear springs and shackles and all of the heater components (box, ducts, controls)

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

80's toyota 4wd, 60's - 80's Datsun trucks - chevrolet passenger cars up to 48 and chevrolet 6 nut trucks all have the same 6 lug bolt pattern.

20. atch

atch

i am still subscribed to this thread from when it first went around. it was good then and still is.

so; bttt...

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

41 Lincoln Door buttons are the same as the 42-48 Trunk Buttons

22. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

For the guys with 55-67 Chevy passenger cars. I pull the disc brake spindles from the 68-70 Caprice/Impala. Bolt on swap to the earlier car. Calipers are $11.99 loaded ("new"). Rotors are thick as hell so I have them turned to clean them up. Still has the 4 3/4 pattern and makes a world of difference.

Another Impala swap. On a friends 67 (and another 65) i swapped the complete master cylinder and booster from a 2wd S10. Had to drive the studs out that held the original pedal assembly but this bolted right in it's place. Threaded the pushrod for the clevis and away it went. Haven't tried it on an earlier car but it worked like a charm on the 65&67.

Did I mention both swaps were dirt cheap?

23. Not positive about this, but when looking up part numbers for rocker arms for a big block Chevy ,they had the same part numbers as a big block Ford, 429-460.So I think they interchange?

24. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Early 80's AMC Spirit radiators work great for 40's trucks.Used one for my M-5 Stude pickup and it was almost a drop in.
    Same for mid 60's Mustang gas tanks.Yeah,I know they're ultra-desirable for you Ford fellers,but once in a while you find a totalled out car and bingo! The tank drops right between the frame rails.
    Studebaker had a thing about using certain trim parts and stuff for years....

By the way,this is a great thread!

25. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

don't fit the W

26. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Yes the doors are BUT the hinges are not/ You'll need either the whole door and body parts from the A cab or the T body(26-27 Coupe and Tudor have the same doors) so the swap is a doer without too much work.

28. Dodge used the same wrap around windshield on many truck models from 1955 to 1972ish. Dodge trucks 1955 second series to 1960. Town sedans and panels from 55-68. Many of the 1 ton, 2 ton, 5 ton large trucks plus tractors including the 1972 Bighorn diesel.

29. 57 Ford and 66 Falcon/ Ranchero headlight buckets are the same.

You can put a 59 Ranchero gas tank in a 57-8 Ranchero/ Wagon using the straps and filler.

A 58 Ford steering box is way better than a 57, and bolts in.

Later Ford and Merc wagon rear brakes including drums and backing plates are a direct bolt on for 57-59 Ford wagons and Ranchero.
    The drums used to be unobtanium for the original application.
    Now they make them, but these brakes are bigger, better, and still cheaper.

Ford Maverick brake parts fit a shoebox Ford. I have not done this, but I'm pretty sure its spot on.

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'll add a useless bit o' trivia:
    If you've got a '57 Chevy 150 and want to keep the plain jane steering wheel, but want something a little smaller, a '60-'66 Chevy truck wheel is the same, but is 2 inches smaller in diameter.
    That's for the other guy in the country running a full cage and the stock steering wheel in his '57 150.

A couple years of Ford Ranger trucks came with aluminum master cylinders that look exactly like regular steel 2 chamber master cylinders, but weigh ounces compared to several pounds. Look a helluva lot better than a late model aluminum and plastic piece.

A lot of early manual-adjust brakes can be converted to self-adjust with kits that are on the market. For instance, '60s Buicks run 12-inch drums front and rear, so the hardware kits can be adapted to '50s Buicks. '55-'57 Chevys have 11-inch drums, and kits are available for them. '60-'64(?) Chevy trucks had manual adjust brakes, but the later ones had self-adjust, and the conversion can be done with a brake hardware kit from them. Should be the same type of situation for '57-up Ford rear ends, Mopars, etc.

-Brad