Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Deuce and the Telescope

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagehotrods, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Blake 27

Blake 27

The plane in the accident report was misidentified. The H50 had 4 windows, the (cow) plane had 3 windows making it
    a D50C Twin Bonanza.
    My brother Tom had a restored military version of the single engine Bonanza, the T34-A Mentor trainer.
    Getting back to the original thread, brother Tom learned to drive in our dad's 32 Ford three window. Shelley Stoody last plane April 1961.jpg Flying T34 #2.jpg Flying T34.jpg

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

What a fascinating story. Thank you for sharing.

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wonder what that telescope weighed? Lippy

4. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I've referred back to this posting several times, that 32 looks right up to date with the tire/wheel combo & license plate topper, my 14"x6.5"x 3.5" back set 10 spoke rims look to be the same rim & accept the 32 caps but without the chrome center plating, but have the flared spokes at the riveted mountings to the hoops, believe them to be Clark brand.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  5. DaMayor

DaMayor
    from Whittier

I am friends with the present owners of the Stoody home on Worsham Dr. in Whittier, overlooking Worsham Canyon. Their home was used for the wedding reception of Richard Nixon and features a "telescope room". The Spanish style, multi-story house has a second story round room with a pointed Spanish tiled roof with an openable door in the roof for the telescope to peek out of. The Spanish tile looking roof is actually tiles made of stamped steel. The upper part of the wall and roof ride on a round track with bearings and can be rotated so that the telescope can peek out in different directions. An electric motor high up on the wall powers the rotating of the roof. The present owners tell me that the telescope was mounted to a Packard and I have seen a picture of it mounted on the back of a 1953 Chevy pickup.

6. j hansen

j hansen

7. Thanks for more fascinating history!

continentaljohn likes this.
  8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

@vintagehotrods see the damaged right rear fender in the lead photo? Check yours, right?

9. It does look like it side swiped something. Notice in the other pictures it looks like the whole car has been repainted and the General Jumbo wheels were added, too. I'd love to know where it is now!

10. Figured he would've had a Stoodybaker.