Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Detroit Hot rod/custom History Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ynottayblock, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I very rarely start threads, but I've been poking around the search feature and haven't found one thread centralized for history of Detroit area Hot rods and customs.

The motor city used to have a vibrant custom/hot rod scene, but like alot of industry, many hot rodders and customizers moved on from Detroit over time (or moved onto muscle cars).

So post up whatever you got concerning the Detroit area from the 30's-60's. Hot rods, customs, drag cars etc. Let try and compile as much as we can into one thread.

I'll start off with pics my personal favorite Detroit based custom, the Clarkaiser 55 t-bird. I got to drool over this one at the Autorama a few years back. So share what you got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

3. Here's one I posted up today from Wyandotte. I'll put pics of my old Downriver built 54 Ford Semi Kustom up tonight.

Attached Files:

ynottayblock likes this.
  4. Two cars I've always loved.Tom Leichty's 54 Chevy that he bought new and customized and the Clarkaiser Utopia. The connection is that the Utopia is in a private museum in Onsted MI and is owned by Tom. Tom did a cable TV show called Automotive Lifestyles here for many years with his wife Diana and their,"son" Iggy.

Attached Files:

Phillips and ynottayblock like this.

5. image.jpg Here's my Grandpas (from Dearborn Mi ) 41 Ford he hopped up first starting in 41 and finished up late 47.
    I have the 41 now and she's returned to the same specs Grandpa built her to - nothing crazy done to the car, but representative of the period for the regular joe. I will need to collect his period pics from my great uncle.

olcurmdgeon and daddy_o's_diner like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

A couple more of Utopia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bump this up with Dave Jenkins A bros owned since new 57 Chevy...

Attached Files:

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  9. LOST ANGEL likes this.
  10. ^^^^ 1958 and already got a SBC in there! That was fairly rare for the time I imagine...