Register now to get rid of these ads!

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrExotica, Oct 6, 2003.

1. A club is supposed to stick together, right? That's what I thought.
    My wife & I used to belong to The Voodoo Kings, from outside Chicago.
    We were at the Ducktail Run a week ago. I had just finished a character-building weekend of cold, rain, & 3 straight days of flamethrowing. (I even made it to the final round of the flamethrower competition!)
    Anyway, the club caravanned everywhere. We were heading out of the park that Saturday night. My car was running like CRAP. I was afraid I broke something. (I was a little hard on 'er in the contest). I pulled over. ONE GUY pulled over with us. Everyone else continued to the Bed & Breakfast we stayed at. The guy who stopped is a stand-up guy, but he doesn't know a lot about mechanics. I'm no expert either.
    After a while, one of the girls called on the cell to see if everything's OK. I said I DON'T KNOW. I pulled the dipstick & the oil was so thin, it had bubbles in it. In the dark, it was hard to see if it had water in it. It didn't. I pulled the plugs. They were blacker than black. I wire-brushed them, put them back in, & headed back to the B&B, running slightly less rough.
    I was furious when we got back. I walked in, said nothing. At breakfast the next morning, I said nothing. When I was done, i told my wife I needed to head out to get new plugs & oil, hoping that was the fix.
    The auto parts stores in Marion, IN don't open until 9 on Sunday. While looking for a parts store, I passed the caravan heading out of town without me. Now granted, we said we didn't want to leave right away on Sunday, but is it too much to ask for some support when we're having troubles? Twice?
    We considered these people our close friends.
    On Monday, I e-mailed the Voodoo Queen, quitting the club. She had no apologies. "I'm sorry you feel that way." She said that if we'd asked, they would have stopped. That shouldn't have been necessary. Any of my buddies in other clubs would have stopped without a second thought. On the generous side, she decided to refund our $50 each for Dickies work jackets with one color screen. Somebody's not making money under the table? In fact, the Voodoo King caravan pulled over on a busy freeway to help a friend who almost lost his cruiser skirt.
    (By the way, we left Chicago at 4 am so as to get premium spots, which ended up being saved anyway.)
    I showed up at their cruise night this past Saturday with the jackets. Nobody in the club said a word to me. They had one of the guys in the club do a little fire. Nobody asked me. Nobody from the CLUB asked me. My friends did, so I did. Nobody in the club even looked over. Larry (Pyro 52), the president & his side kick walked over & offered me $20 for my drag plate. OK. I was gone.
    What a change from people who we once considered friends.
    A quote fron a friend who offered us a spot as the first car in his scooter club applies : The deepest circle of hell is reserved for deserters & mutineers." Maybe they considered me a mutineer, since I was stealing a little of his flamethrowing spotlight. I've been called an asshole before. That's OK. Too bad he didn't have the balls to kick me out.

Attached Files:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Heck, my old car buddies and I never organized ourselves into any formal "club", but we ALWAYS ran out to Milan Dragway or Detroit in caravans. We never trailered our cars there, so we travled in a group just in case one of us had a problem. One guy lost a u-joint on the way home one afternoon and we fixed it on the roadside with crude hand tools and a joint bought from a store up the road. One guy made the parts run while the others stayed roadside with Tiny and his crippled Ford. Some deft hammer work got the remains of the old joint out and he was back on the road in under an hour.

The experience was actually FUN! We were all cracking jokes and having a good time on the shoulder of Telegraph Road that day! That's what real buddies DO!

3. Yup. The guy who stopped with us was in a parade with me & he broke a u-joint. During the parade! Another time, we were heading to a carshow & his car wouldn't shift, so he re-adjusted the linkage. The his fan started hitting the lower radiator hose. He took out his tin snips & trimmed the fan blades! It turned out he had a broken motor mount. Anyway, even he agreed there was no need to ask for help.

4. John B

John B

<font color="red"> No One Gets Left Behind Or Forgotten </font> -Lilo &amp; Stitch 2002

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Without going into details (its much too long a story) my wife and I found out who our REAL friends were a few years back. We were in the midst of a 3 1/2 yr. crisis which almost wiped us out financially, spiritually and phisically. During that time the dozens of people who had introduced me to everyone as their friend suddenly had nothing to do with us. Fortunately, 3 (THREE) people stuck by us and saw us through to the end. Guess who I refer to as "friend" after that eye opening ordeal? The circle sure got small when the chips were down. Be careful who you call your friends, it can bite you on the ass.

6. I agree that doesn't say much good about your fellow club members. Maybe you are better off being without them, if that is how they treat others.

Just as a note for comparison. Last Friday while caravaning with the guys for the rattle can nats, I ran out of gas. I know it is my own stupidity, but that is not my point here. Point is that immediately several people all pulled over and asked what could be done. Several of these people I had only met that day or a few times before. Eventually we found a car with an empty gas can, and with a little siphoning, I was back on the road. This is an example of what should be done for your fellow hot rodders. These guys that stopped to offer help were not even club members, just a bunch of hot rodders out for a fun day of informal gathering and driving.

7. I woulda done the same thing.Club members are supposed to be brothers,some f%&amp;$ing family eh.The Voodoo Whodoos......Shiny

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

It hurts to find out where you really stand with "friends" sometimes. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Elrod

Elrod

I know the feeling, MrExotica

10. As long one member stops, the rest should
    be able to continue. You should'nt bring down
    the whole club you know, unless your some kind of
    princess or something.

11. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Like I said on the car painting thread:

I don't trust shops, I trust people.

Same goes for clubs. The people relationship comes first, the club relationship comes second.

And yes, the circle of real friends is usually very small. Myself, I have to admit that there are probally only 5 friends that would leave work, empty the bank account, and drive across states if I needed them to. And I'd do the same for those 5 guys and their families. And they're not all car guys. They're just the people that are important to me, and the 5 guys whos opinions of me matter to me.

Anyway, this weekend one of the guys in my circle thew the fan off his bone-stock '39 Sedan (even the good black paint is original) through the radiator while driving back to Houston from the Dallas area GoodGuys show. He called another fellow in my circle that lives in Dallas to fetch a trailer or tow-dolly and come pick him up. The helper left a Sunday breakfast with his wife and friends to quickly aid the broken down friend.

I think we all view it as a great oppertunity to provide aid and to be problem solvers. Makes us look good, and feel good and sets an example for others that this is the behavior that we expect from others. We're probally perverts about it, but so be it. Man is NOT an island.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  12. I'll be in a car club as long as...

I never have to get dirty.
    I never have to get wet.
    I never have to help another member who breaks down on a run.
    I never have to wait for another club member.
    I never get ticked off at the other members.

13. InPrimer

InPrimer

My old man told me this a long time ago.. if you can count all your true friends in a lifetime on one hand, you're a very lucky man...........

14. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Let's see- you were being the big man constantly showin off your flames all weekend and didn't think about the unburned gas in your engine or your car subsequently running like shit?
    Too bad for you. Seems that you created your own problem.
    No sympathy here. Wanna join a club with roadside assistance? Try AAA.

~ Rob

15. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

We have recieved the kind of help that can really make a difference from two sources in the last few years....one of these people was a King of Kings, a Man among men......the other bunch has been HERE....considerations ranging from discounted services/ materials to disaster aid to the following example...A couple weeks ago our fuel pump went out in Houston during evening rush hour....sputtered to a stop and called a good HAMB buddy(won't embarrass him here) who had just put in a full day at his shop and was getting a bite for dinner with his lovely wife...they were going out that night,(they both work hard,hardly see each other)BUT said hang out for awhile..I'LL BE RIGHT THERE....sure enough,he brought us HIS garage truck to drive home (100 miles away) and took our truck to his shop for the repairs (lotsa problems)...
    He and his wife showed up smiling and made us feel less like a problem LOAD than I already felt....

16. seldom scene

seldom scene

Do you know what a squirrel is? You can spot them by their flame throwers. Birds of a feather flock together.

17. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

As a couple of the previous threads alluded, I took a baseball sized chunk out of my cast oil pan about 40 miles outside of Bakersfield on the way up to the rattle can on Thursday. Not only did the whole caravan stop and help, but other hambers (I know for sure Rickyracer and Zibo) stopped and offered tools, etc... I would definitely do the same for any of them... That sort of expectation makes it almost reasonable to drive an 80+ year old car on a 500+ mile trip...

M-

18. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

don't be down on the car club thing. You just need to find the right club. I can call any of my guys from 200 miles away at 2 in the morning on a tuesday and will be sure that they will be there when I need them. It wasn't always like this but after dumping the dead weight (which cut our numbers in half) I can honestly say we have gotten more done (i.e. cars built) in the last 3 months than the last two years. Safe the drama for the soap operas and get your 3 good buddies into the garage and get some shit put together.

19. I know a couple guys in a club here who've treated me better than the Voodoo Chickens ever did. Too bad they're also friends with the Voodoo Chickens. If I knew then what I know now...

By the way, I appreciate the (mostly)support. I wasn't looking for pity - I just wanted to vent. Seeing what I thought was a friendship blow up was disappointing. The HAMB should have a club! All the HAMBers I've met in person have been great folks.

20. KCsledz

KCsledz

[ QUOTE ]
    Let's see- you were being the big man constantly showin off your flames all weekend and didn't think about the unburned gas in your engine or your car subsequently running like shit?
    Too bad for you. Seems that you created your own problem.
    No sympathy here. Wanna join a club with roadside assistance? Try AAA.

~ Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

DId you forget the part that he was in a contest? Or that he might just of been havin some fun? I hope the people who you think are your friends SHIT on you when you need a bit of help! Learn the difference between empathy and sympathy!

Someone gets shit on by people who he thinks would be there to help him out and you say SUCKS TO BE YOU. Thats just being mean man.

21. Nappy &amp; Seldom,
    The Voodoo Chicken president is also a flamethrower &amp; knows exactly what it's like to
    break a motor doing the fire.
    But my dad agrees with you guys about the fire. I might just cool it for a while, except I have the need to show up PYRO52 whenever possible!

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Things are the same all over. In my opinion clubs should be a group of guys who have already been hanging out together anyway. When it becomes just a club it's days are numbered if you are looking for a trustworthy group of friends. It has taken me WAY too long to realize this.

23. Billetproof, I assume you associated with the show? I will be there when I trust my 56 for the trip!

24. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

[ QUOTE ]
    I know the feeling, MrExotica

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, really...how is that?

25. seldom scene

seldom scene

my neighbor has 3 yard gnomes, should I get 5 "to show him up"? your dad is right! He must be from old school or west coast where only jerks with no skills or ability put spark plugs in their pipe(s), usually had only 1, to attract attention, all they ever attracted were cops and newspaper reporters who blamed their behavior on hot rodders. The ORIGINAL car clubs were formed to combat the bad reputation and troubles brought on by these squirrels with flame throwers. Now do ya wanna know how I really feel? Who gives a shit!

26. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Gotten help before and appreciated it. Never EXPECTED it. Johnnylonghair got black lung following me to Philly in the first trip in my Buick just to make sure I made it there. Again, appreciated the Hell outta that.
    Just saying that it's one thing to help in an unanticipated roadside breakdown.
    But needing plugs cleaned and new oil due to shooting flames for 3 days doesn't constitute an emergency in my book.
    Not to bust your balls, Exotica, just throwing in my 2 cents.
    I personally don't wanna stop and help someone with a routine tune-up. Guess you'll know next time to pack some oil &amp; extra plugs. Live and learn, but the problem really was your own doing.
    If the car club guys saw the black smoke out the exhaust after the weekend of flames, perhaps they felt the same way?

Like this- you see a guy speeding by way too fast in the snow/ice and 2 miles down the road he's wiped out along the road? Do you stop &amp; help push him out, or shake your head at the dumbass for driving way too fast to begin with &amp; let him call AAA?
    Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard.
    ~ Rob

27. colorado51

colorado51

[ QUOTE ]
    Ichoptop wrote: don't be down on the car club thing. You just need to find the right club. I can call any of my guys from 200 miles away at 2 in the morning on a tuesday and will be sure that they will be there when I need them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, Ive been to Chops house to help try to figure out a carb problem, and he`s been to my house to help put my transmission in....and Im NOT EVEN IN his club...yet. [​IMG]

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think clubs suck...
    seriously...
    I got in with this "club" that I thought was supposed to be a group of friends all interested in the same thing... but politics got in the way... along with EGO's. Pomps and big ass CUFFS... fuck all of that.

I dont care about the clubs... I care about my intrests in cars and my friends, TRUE FRIENDS. I know who they are. Some of them are'nt into cars at all.

I have more fun in my shop building by myself than I do going to shows and drinking beer with big EGO's

Now... there are clubs out there I like... say the TOPPERS for example. [​IMG]

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

[ QUOTE ]
    As long one member stops, the rest should
    be able to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, within reason. Mr. E's point was that only one guy syopped to see if he needed help. They all had cell phones and no one even called. What if the one guy that stopped couldn't help? Helping each other out and having a good time is what clubs SHOULD be about.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

another point missed. regardless of why the car was running poorly, the guys that are SUPPOSED to support him, didn't. I think all the guys in that club run flame throwers. Mr E knows the risks and is prepared to handle the consquences, but everyone needs help from their friends. You expect that kind of support from your friends.

Tony, you know you can always caravan with the Czars when you want to... on the rare occassion when we have any cars running!

joe

30. I could use a car club.