Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Technical The Death of Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jun 15, 2024.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sharpone and Bob Lowry like this.
  2. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

One for the doom scrollers.

Hexavalent chrome has been banned in Europe for ovet a decade yet you. can still get parts chromed. It's not the only process.

Also incorrect to say hexavalent chromed parts are completly safe after plating.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the article says, there are substitutes but they look more yellow. I'm not aware of a substitute that gives the exact same appearance of the chrome we've grown up with. I'm not doom saying, just reporting the news.

Sharpone, Dave Mc and GordonC like this.
  4. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

It's specificaly chrome 6. There is also chrome 3 which is also the same colour.

Chrome 6 is harder and is needed for wear surfaces such as shock absorber parts. Chrome 3 can be used for trim.

The auto industry has been transitioning from chrome for over a decade with chrome effect plastics for trim. They had dispensation for chrome 6 for wear resistant parts for a limited time. The article is full of inaccuracies but that's news nowadays.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
  5. Ain't no such thing as too much chrome!
    P1010445.JPG

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got that right!

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Doesn’t make much difference, everything you do in one way or another causes cancer. Living causes dying. Not that I’m pushing for anyone to get that horrid disease…

Personally, I hate the “ murdered out look”. It’s as stupid to me as the Carolina squat. Everything needs some contrast to show the details. A little strip of shiny metal or plastic goes a long way. Could be polished stainless or aluminum instead of plated. Something to break up all that color, even another paint color.

My 99 F150 has a narrow chrome strip in both bumpers, a chromed probably plastic name badge, and chromed aluminum wheels. That’s all from Ford, but I did put on a set of polished stainless steps. Any more would be too much IMHO. It does also have a small twin gold pinstripe, again just enough to break up the color. Suits me fine.

The Chevy Pope and SS327 like this.
  8. There is very little 'news' available nowadays. Pretty much all that is available is agenda driven propaganda.

9. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Much too pricey for my wallet beyond a few latches & fasteners for accent, something like a grille shell would need to be a well-preserved S.S. unit or receive the paint treatment.

Sharpone likes this.
  10. Actually the opposite is true. The internet allows for anyone to produce and broadcast news and analysis. There are many high-quality news and analysis sources on the internet- much more so than what is or ever was available on television. There are also a lot of low-quality news and analysis sources on the internet. Radio also has some good sources.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys are cheap…. Chrome is expensive. I personally don’t like “monochromatic” a made up word for “I’m not wanting to pay for the chrome I really want” or other trim parts painted some off color metallic dark gray or silver. My opinion yours may differ..

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Chrome has long been dead for me! Way way out of my reach budget wise. Automotive paint is a close second.
    It's as if there's a secret underground government agency doing everything they can to price me right out of my hobby.
    I might eventually be driving clear coated bare metal cars...

13. Sharpone

Sharpone

I like some amount of chrome on my cars , bumpers, door handles, some engine accessories etc. but it is getting very expensive. Dan

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
  14. "Chrome" on plastic, goes back into the 60s, at least.

kadillackid and Sharpone like this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ought to move to Alaska and open an igloo shaped building to plate parts, call it the Nome Dome Home of Chrome.

17. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest.

Paul Simon

deadbeat, jimmy six, 73RR and 2 others like this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High maintanence , still , looks smazing when polished and shiney..

kadillackid and Sharpone like this.
  19. That reply doesn't address anything in my comment.

20. Alternatively, you could open a hexagonal shop in southwest Washington and call it the Hoquiam House of Hexavalent Health Hazards.

21. It was a great time. Glad I lived thru it.

Okie Pete, Joe Colley and Sharpone like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it but likely not a lot of google hits when shopping for chrome shops.

Sharpone likes this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Worst case scenario is we have to ship our parts to some country in Asia where some 12 year old will plate it in his bath tub.

24. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

We would welcome you with open arms! The only chrome shop we ever had here closed down bout 25-30 years ago. The cost to ship parts to & back from the real world on top of the plating cost makes it hard to justify!

Bandit Billy and Sharpone like this.
  25. Wonder how Safe Chrome looks on cars.
    Or is that industrial chrome only

Sharpone likes this.
  26. Sharpone

Sharpone

Safe Chrome? Or do you mean hard chrome?
    Dan

27. Called “Safe Chrome” from Trion Coatings
    Supposedly Cali, EPA and the European compliant

Sharpone likes this.
  28. Sharpone

Sharpone

Cool never heard of it hopefully it’s affordable.
    Thanks
    Dan

29. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The Stellantis article is about new cars, but chrome has been absent on them for the most part for years now. There are many other consumer items that are chromed (bathroom faucets comes to mind) so the industry isn't going away just yet.

rockable, SS327 and Sharpone like this.
  30. SS327

SS327

Plenty of chrome for my cars and then add some more! You can’t have enough chrome!