Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The danville dukes ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rod and Wheeler, Jul 12, 2010.

1. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

We drank PBR back in the day in Milwaukee but we also drank and loved Coors when we were lucky enough to get our hands on some!

2. Danville Dukes? ... never heard of him :rolleyes:

I guess this thread answers my question of whether or not a "Billy B" thread would be well received on the H.A.M.B. General Discussion board. :eek:

Trent (@Tman) ... I'm sure glad you've never ranted about something near & dear to me ... or ever used sarcasm, facetiousness, or humor in one of your 30k+ posts ... cuz if you ever did, I'd loose all respect for you ... and just might have to call you an ignorant fool.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  3. lets put it this way. When he wrote that piece (which didn't sound as sarcastic as it was biting) I was around 17 or 18 years old. I looked forward to his stories each month in SRM, I looked up to him and his musings. I was also and still am a lifelong cyclist. So when an icon from one of your hobbies takes a dig at another of your passions it gets personal. Especially when one hobby is propelling 2400 pound missles down the road and insinuating that it is ok to run cyclists off the road.

4. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

the duke,s always lived by the rule "less rules more fun" I have been very lucky to count , my friend Gary, Billy, Bruce, and Pat , as friends and fellow hot rodders ,Gary and Billy gave me some of my most valued advise about hotroding and I allways tryed to live by it get the book fnbs read it it is important......thank you guys....you know who i,m talkin about

5. My father shot this photo of the "Danville Duke's Clubhouse" (actually Tom Walsh's garage in Danville, CA) in 1978:

Duke's Clubhouse (by Bruce Olson).jpg
    Tommy Walsh with his orange '29 hiboy (l), Gary Meadors with his full-fendered,
    chopped yellow '32 Tudor (c),
    and Billy with his Ol' Blue '29 Hiboy (r)

Last summer, they "re-enacted" the photograph ... this time with Tommy's '32 Hiboy, Meadors' '29 roadster, & Harry Daviess (Burnham's son-in-law) standing in for Billy (Note Bill's hat on the hood of Ol' Blue):

Danville Weekly - August 21, 2009 -Page 17.JPG
    photo by @johnd

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, I'm not quite certain how your personal beef with a gentleman who passed away many moons ago ago fits in here, but OK....

7. Notice I put an "RIP" in my first reply?:rolleyes:

And OlBlue is still a timeless roadster, even if he had to put a silly Ford in it:p

8. @hemifarris ... cool pics! ... whereever did you get them? :rolleyes: :D

Here's another circa 1973 shot of our coupe with Billy's Butterscotch '29 Hiboy (the predecessor to Ol' Blue):

Olson &  Burnham - 50's drag race reenactment - 1973.jpg
    This staged "1950s drag race" photo featured our 331ci Hemi powered '32 up against Burnham's 321ci Pontiac powered '29.

... and an August 2006 pic of our coupe with Ol' Blue:

2006 Goodguys West Coast Nats (4).jpg

BillyB1.gif
    RIP Billy​

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Hemi 32- I was just checking out your photo Albums..some great pics in there! Thanks for posting!

10. I concur!

11. @Tman ... no worries ... "it's all good"

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  12. No, thank YOU, you always do seem to have some neat pictures and history!

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Me too:)

Looks like you've had some great times and gotten to hang out with some great people....

Life is indeed sweet.

14. Ain't that the truth!!!!

Attached Files:

15. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Cool stuff in your album:cool:
    The Danville Dukes are Cool too. Lowered my first Ford and flamed it in 1957. Lowered
    the front of course.:D

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats correct!!!---Back then, it was the ONLY one to be cool!!---Those of us "Westerners" traveling to Eastern street rod events would bring the guys in Memphis smuggled in cases of Coors!!-----Almost got caught ONCE!!!!---------Don:D:D

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Coors was THE beer.....If you bought it by the case in quarts (and I bought many, many cases) rather than six packs, you ended up with about an extra sixer for the same money.

Used to call it a headache in a can because of the killer hangovers.

Also used to call it horsepiss....

19. hemi

hemi

I drink the "yellow bellies" on occasion... goes great with tri-tip.

20. A college brother told me the story of driving to Wyoming on a Coors run before you could get it in Sodak. He had a 76 Chevy Stepside, They cleaned out Buelah, Alladin and Sundance of all the Coors they had in stock. Had to tarp the load as it was as tall as the cab. Got back to town and met everyone they were buying for in Stevens HS parking lot, a near riot ensued as kids cued up to get their "order" Bob ended up on top of the load guarding it (after a warning shot:eek:) and the money with his 12 guage as they doled it out!

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow Rich sounds like something Bill Burnham might have written.
    Hope to see you in Austin in a few weeks.
    Gary

Outback likes this.
  22. Well said Rich! And well worth saying.

And BTW the bicycle thing is global

23. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

In Southern California we called it Colorado Cool-aid

24. M.Edell

M.Edell

Me with a Coors Can December 1974 [​IMG]

25. Chuck R

Chuck R

Billy B was a great guy, worked hard, played harder. His hot rod was tough and got driven. A lot.
    Chuck
    [​IMG]

26. I never understood why everyone was so keen on drinking Coors. I thought it was flavorless, but back then on those very rare occasions when I did drink beer, it was usually a Dos Equis.

Best Coors story is when a friend of mine from NZ came over (1976) and we dropped into Jay Ohrberg's (Mr Roadster) for a bench racing session. Jay offered the guy a Coors and when he opened it and took a sip, he looked inside the can to see if there was actually beer inside! :eek:

Compared to NZ brews it was so light the Kiwi couldn't taste anything. BTW, for any Kiwi's reading this post, the fellow went on to own NZHRM.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  27. Chuck R

Chuck R

Hey Wildcat is this a picture of you?

I don't always drink beer , but when I do I drink.........

[​IMG]

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Billy B was not as sensitive about getting old as some of the replys to this thread seem to be. good grief, yes we are all older than someone else. yes we can all learn from the early trail blazers for hot rodding. but, when your focus is more on seeing who can have their car built by the most big name expensive builders then you are not HAMB friendly.
    That is where many of the Dukes have taken the wrong turn.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  29. M.Edell

M.Edell

Oh my the Drama..Everyone should just take it down a notch geez..lol :eek:

30. slammed

slammed

Whew! I'm digging the 'clear the bad blood' every now and then. Billy B. was a wicked writer at time's. Oh if you don't go old, it's 'cause ya died! Git on your bike and ride..........

Outback likes this.