Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Daily Driver Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 12, 2018.

1. I used a vintage car as everyday driver for many years. But that was at a time when there was not so much traffic as today. Nowadays where I live there is so much traffic, stop-and-go, traffic jams and not enough parking space that driving an old car everyday is not at all as funny as it was once. It has even become a PITA more often than not.

When I was young we had a so-called "poser route" that went along the main plazas and innercity streets of my home-town . We drove that route in our old cars and enjoyed girls/people staring at us. Even that is gone now, as some of the streets were turned into pedestrian zones or are closed for cars on weekends.

I also have two small kids and use a modern car as daily driver. It's cheaper, safer and more comfortable and I simply don't see any advantage in crawling around in an old car in today's heavy traffic. It's bad for the car and my nerves.

So that said, don't think too much about it, get yourself a newer truck and enjoy the advantages it has most of the times. And I bet you will also enjoy driving your old cars much more when weekend comes or on other occasions.

2. We are splitting the difference. I WILL NOT pay what they want for new cars and even nice used ones are pricey. We are buying a 1980 G Body wagon for my daily while I finish the house addition and then finish my 51 GMC as a daily. Both will have AC

flatheadpete likes this.
  3. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

There is a big difference between driving an old car or truck daily because you have too, or because you want to. I drive my ratty ass pickup most days 31 miles to work and I get passed by EVERY vehicle on the road, More cold air comes in than my heater puts out, Don't have a radio, couldn't hear it for the rattles, but I like the looks of sympathy from the twenty and thirty something folks who just don't get it. Do what you need to do to make yourself feel good about it, but some days, only that old Ford will fill the bill.

1964countrysedan likes this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand that you need a late model sometimes... we got lots of salt this winter so I parked the 55 Chevy 210 ( 235 / 3 on the tree) daily driver and got myself a late model 1988 BMW 735i as a cheap winter beater... it is a good and nice car for sure, it almost drives as nice as the Chevy, but gas milage is slightly worse on the BMW . It has all kinds of electrical issues, sensors that send fake signals, computers that go crazy, but overall it still is a good car. So the salt went away and I took out the 55 last Sunday, that felt really good. The BMW is quieter due to it´s thicker floor insulation but the Chevy feels and sounds more solid... and steers more directly. No squeeky plastic parts like on the 7 series, that is not bad for a 63 year old unrestored car.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It's a different world and road from a time our antique cars were built . It's great the new automobiles drive better, stop better and are Much safer to a point you can relax more behind the wheel.
    The bad is our traditional cars don't meet all new car SAFTY features so they are harder (more fun) to drive. They are louder exhaust (awesome) so you can hear less around you ( I want to hear my awesome motor). They stop but leave sweet black rubber lines on the road ( the shorter they are show your brake skills)
    I am going out on the limb and say can't blame the cars old and new but distracted drivers. Too much going on behind the wheel of a comfortable car or truck and we all know what they are.
    A balance between old and new for your families SAFTY and high traffic areas requires more SAFTY and a newer truck car..... Or the safe back roads driving the 32....

6. ryno

ryno

5'7"...were all friends here, in a serious discussion. honestly is appreciated. much love little buddy, see you in atx?

7. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Here are pics of my Winter Daily and Summer Daily, sorry the Winter Daily is a bit New, but still cool enough that I Hope it does not get kicked. Winter and I mean winter 8-10" of snow at a time Daily is a 1974 Chevy 2WD Suburban that I have slammed 10" overall and done some minor things to. The summer is my 55 chevy 4 Door with a 355 old circle track engine and lowered. I have a 3 and 5 year old that love riding in both daily, they both have seat belts in the rear and both kids are safe and strapped in their car seats in both. I will not have it any other way.

Attached Files:

8. When it gets down to it the majority of us probably has a late model we just don't fess up or talk about. Hey I have a late model '85 Chevy Chevette. The wife and I alternate driving it because we love the thing. All five of us pile into that car and it's a blast to drive. I don't quite understand why but there's something therapeutic and nostalgic about driving it. I also have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and that is really my winter vehicle because of all the salt that gets put on the road up here. It's not shameful to have a late model but people that know me do find it strange when I show up in something newer than a 1951 vehicle.

9. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

My daily driver is a '57 T-Bird. I like all the comforts of a new car in my daily driver and my '57
    has the following:
    460 ci Ford, rack & pinion power steering, auto trans, 4 wheel disc brakes,
    posi-trac rear end, ac, power windows, and a nice interior.
    I have included pictures.
    Ernie

Attached Files:

Landmule, Normant93, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My daily driver is a semi truck, I drive that damn thing more than I do anything else, but I have a 99 F150 4x4 Super Cab I use when I'm home. It's fine for smaller kids, but might be a bit small for teens and their longer legs, a Super Crew would give you 4 full sized doors and more legroom. I gave $8500 for it 3 years ago with 120,000 on the oddo, it only has 135,000 on it now. If we need more room, we take the wife's 05 Expy, we bought it 3 months ago to replace her 2000 Expy that got rear ended and totaled, we only gave $4500 for it and it only had 105,000 on it. The 2000 Expy was still very much drivable, only needed a tailgate and bumper, can't say the same for the 2018 Toyota 4 Runner that hit her, the front bumper was against the tires.
    Just because you need something newer doesn't mean you have to buy brand new or nearly new. These new engines will last easy 200-300,000 miles. 100,000 miles they are just broken in good. Keep the old truck, you sell it you'll be sorry because one that nice is hard to come by.

Frankie47 likes this.
  11. Our next family vehicle is going to be a 60s, 70 big American car. I've been shopping for about a year now but haven't quite found the "one".

Tman likes this.
  12. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Drive a 62 Galaxie wagon everyday.
    No need for a late model car

13. Normant93

Normant93

Man that car is gorgeous, if I had it I'd drive it every day as well........ at least during the 8 months or so that there's no salt on the roads.

14. Mike

Mike

Why does your new late model machine need to be a pick up? New pick up trucks are crazy expensive, a basic one could easily cost $50,000, a loaded one could cost as much a s a new Jaguar F Type (supercar money for a pick up, es muy loco).

Keep the old truck for fun and hauling stuff. Find a nice, new late model passenger car that fits the bill. There are plenty of roomy, stylish and safe new machines out there to choose from.

mkebaird and apenglish64 like this.
  15. Get a late '90s Explorer with a 5.0 and drive it for the next 10 years, hauling that precious cargo. Once they're in college or out of the house, you got a sbf, tranny and disc-brake rear end that will go nicely in your next project!

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  16. SR100

SR100

Here's one from left field: Ford Flex. A 4-5 yr-old one is $13-18k and it has a little of the station wagon vibe along with all mod cons.

patmanta likes this.
  17. My daily driver is an old Crown Vic cop car, cheap, reliable, comfortable, and it makes everybody I meet on the road a better driver. They throw down their cell phones and fasten their seat belts when they see it in their rear view mirror.

18. Have you purchased anything yet? HRP

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buy a '50's wagon and add a modern drivetrain,suspension etc.
    Then you can join in on all the threads about hidden blue tooth radios,USB ports,hidden A/C,GPS units and of course how many and where all the cup holders are.
    But keep it traditional. ;)
    Notice the smiley face^

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good idea. Get one with the cage still in it and put the kids in the back seat.

chryslerfan55 and 47ragtop like this.
  21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I just got a "late model" pickup... An '04 F-150 with 150,000 miles.

Pros: I feel like a baller with my AC, power steering, badass brakes and CD player
    I can haul a car trailer nationwide with confidence and ease
    It's safer than a steel dash, 4 wheel drum, low visibility panel truck.
    It gets the same mileage as my Flathead (or is that a con?)
    It's pretty much done depreciating.
    It's relatively comfortable and quiet

Cons: 8 spark plugs and a transmission flush was $1200. In the panel, it'd be $100 or less.
    I'm always going faster than I think I'm going which has already gotten me pulled over.
    It's almost "too easy" to drive, and the drive gets boring, but at least I'm not totally beat after driving 12+ hours a day.
    Parts are expensive
    I can't work on it or diagnose 50% of what's wrong with it.
    It's not getting me laid.

chryslerfan55 and 61Cruiser like this.
  22. Not that I use my roadster everyday in all types of weather but I do drive it a lot. Got rear-ended in it 600 miles from home. The Honda Civic that hit me was totalled - my hot rod still ran, started, stopped, and shifted. It did it noisily but it did it. I finished my road trip and then drove it home. Lap belts only.

That all being said, I would not have my grands in there save for going to cruise night or something close. When the wife's 40 pickup is done I might extend that road trip with them but it's all a crap shoot at best. You have to have eyes all over your head when you drive no matter what you drive. Yes, I do have a 9 year old small pickup as my parts hauler that has all the emenities but I never really buy new - they are usually 3-6 years old.

Some very interesting takes on having multiple hot rods - your butt can only be in one at a time and maintaining 2 or more can be a full time job. It will be a bridge I will be crossing soon with two roadworthy hot rods on the road, the 40 pickup in the works, and another 28 pickup in the wings. We shall see ....

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. What about adding heat and a/c and belts to your old truck? My dd is a 200k mile 1986 c10. Lowered, has a/c, p/s, manual brakes, no air bags, and still carb'd. Been driving it since 2008, have put 98k on it in that time. Its not as old as your truck but to me it has more similarities to a old truck than a modern one. My daughter is 3 now and my trucks had a car seat in it since she was a month old

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

wudja figer out ur nuffin yet ?

25. inquiring minds want to know. :)

26. 2935ford

2935ford

I want one of these as my dd......
    IMG_9625.jpg

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, having lived in Central Texas years ago one thing I know is that those guys who drive those late model aka new pickups that never get used as pickups trade them every three or four years without a lot of miles on them or at least they did when I live there. If you have a buddy who is a salesman at a dealership I'd be putting a bug in his/her ear for a low mile extended or crew cab that was the right age.
    My sister and brother in law showed up with a Dodge diesel crew cab with a short box this past weeked that is 3 years old, has 20 something K and a price tag about half of what it went off the showroom floor for.

chryslerfan55 and porkshop like this.
  28. longhorizon

longhorizon

Maybe so (they'd be fools not to be) but I don't know a single Porsche guy who considers himself 'a BMW guy too'!

29. longhorizon

longhorizon

*That* may be the most beautiful ride I've seen on this board! Wow.

chryslerfan55 likes this.