Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Cut Angle on A < Z

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burninbilly, Apr 16, 2010.

1. burninbilly

burninbilly

Hello

I was wandering if there is a certain degree in Angle when z,ing a frame in the rear or front,im in the process of building me 28 tudor sedan.i get
    Thanks guys for any info

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is not necessarily a "certain" angle. I almost always cut mine to 22-1/2, for a 45 degree angle.

So long as it is mad of the proper material, precisely cut, well fit, and properly welded, just about any angle should work.

3. burninbilly

burninbilly

Thanks kindly,im using 188 wall 2x3

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the stuff!

One thing I always do, that I often see others not doing, is to exactly bisect the joint angle. This gives the largest joint area to be welded.

I have seen others weld the end of the tube to the side of the next tube, and cap off the other tube end. It might be strong enough, but a properly mitered joint is stronger.

I keep current my welding certifications, and regularly send out samples for destructive testing. I, so far, have a 0.00% failure rate.

5. burninbilly

burninbilly

There will be none of that it will be a true Z,My front rails i have made out of 2x6 188 wall.I profiled them down and pinched the horns in.I tigged the front rails.The rest of the frame will also be tig welded,im using a welder series front cross member,The outside of the rail i will insert a piece inside and plug welding the rails together as well as the seam, the inside of the rail i will be fishplating as well as the seam,i want the frame to be clean and smooth outside

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the ticket! Just make sure that that fine cross member is set at 7 degrees, in relation to the ground plane, when the frame is set how it is going to live when it rides.

A wise old man once told me, while shaking my hand, "Be not half-assed."

Words to live by!

7. burninbilly

burninbilly

Yes i was wandering about that,so a true 7 degrees,in relation to geared up and rolling , im running 16 inch rims,im useing split bones.I picked the complete front end up from a farmer i met in our area cheap cheap,not sure of the year,so im going to splitem and use it all till i can get a dropped 4 inch for it,I will be taken some pics of the whole process and posting i have the chop pics done but i figure ill wait till its all rollin then post them,i would like to know more about the front end so im thinking i will pic it soon and post

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. Feel free to PM me as well. I am always happy to help!