Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Creeper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Jan 17, 2017.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

HE'S BACK!!
    I didn't realize how long it's been ( last fall)
    Been picking away at the Creeper and the green coupe over the winter when it wasn't 10 below zero. Not a bad winter, but freakin COLD .

A friend of mine gave me a '57 Ford wagon roof panel, so now I have a filler if I decide to use one ( also have a 6 ft piece left!) DSCN3754.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

DSCN3756.JPG DSCN3757.JPG Picked up some sheet metal at Haverhill Steel and began making a front floor pan, and a rear panel behind the seat

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

I was going to cut around the fuel pump so I could get at it, then decided to box it in separately - a few screws and the box comes off- plenty of room, and no chance of nicking a wire or fuel line. DSCN3761.JPG DSCN3764.JPG DSCN3765.JPG

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Roughed in the toe board- almost ready for final install DSCN3779.JPG

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Also got some heat and sound insulation cut and fitted. This is a real rattle trap. I put this in my other cars and it helps a lot. DSCN3778.JPG

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's about it till the weather starts behaving! Hope everyone had a safe and productive winter DSCN3755.JPG

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Great work Mike ! Can't wait to see it live and in living color!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks, it's been fun to do- kinda cartoony and no pressure, plus I went back and forth working on the cars to mix it up.

Maybe a woody next?? DSCN3610.JPG DSCN3723.JPG DSCN3659.JPG

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think New England is long overdue for a good woody build since all we seem to have left up here is cowls and doodlebugs!

loudbang, kiwijeff, ABONES and 3 others like this.
  11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hi Mike, I just did a quicker than I would like run through your thread. Congrats on getting the car on the road and thanks for sharing the build and intermissions with us. I noticed these wishbone mounts early on in the build and kept watching to see if you would beef them up with some gussets. I am not an engineer or chassis expert by any means so disregard this comment if you are confident in your design. My limited experience would say that those long brackets need a gusset of some sort to keep them from flexing and ultimately cracking which would not end well for the creeper or it's occupants. Keep an eye on em.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks for the heads up on that. (I'm a carpenter, haha).
    Those are made from 3/8 " flat stock tied into 3 x 3, 3/8" angle at the top, but a bit more steel wouldn't hurt. I'll give them the hairy eyeball next time I'm out in the garage.
    Maybe a nice wedge shaped piece in back? or some 1 x 1" thick wall tube- I'll have to check the cut-off bin.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. mike bowling

mike bowling

You know, that kinda grows on you the more you look at it. There are a couple of things , but it's DIFFERENT for sure, and a pretty cool build.

chryslerfan55, patmanta and loudbang like this.
  15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I would suggest two wedges to take out the possible twisting motion that could lead to fatigue. I hope you have a blast with your new ride!

16. x2!

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might take some of the sound deadener and line the inside of the fuel pump box you built. Looking good!

mike bowling and loudbang like this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I still have plenty of time for fine tuning before the weather breaks. I can't post pictures off this I pad, but will get on the desktop later

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

DSCN3661.JPG

patmanta, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. mike bowling

mike bowling

Looks like the drive in's open, "bandit billy"! DSCN3739.JPG

MMM1693, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorite picture shows!

22. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job! I like it!

mike bowling and loudbang like this.
  23. mike bowling

mike bowling

The winter sucked, and spring's been rainy and cold, so I've been inside doing little diddley shit stuff for a LONG time.
    Last week I double checked a few things, made a few changes, and borrowed a plate from a buddy. Took small shakedown cruises around the hood, and everything was pretty good. Need a stronger return spring on the throttle, bleed the brakes again, and at some point change the angle of the brake pedal ( I must have bent my foot).
    Today was the Season Opener of the "KINGPINS" CC , show at Salisbury Beach ( Mass.) at the site of the amusement park that's been there forever. It was drizzeling steady, but I thought F it, this is the day.
    The car ran GREAT , and is a blast to drive- it sits up high, and the full windshield is such a change from the chopped car.
    I'm PSYCHED!!
    The show was excellent- lots of people said F the weather and showed up and stayed till after the end time. There's a pub / biker bar called "Gracies" right there ( with an old lettered up '34 roadster hot rod out front) and live music all afternoon. KICK ASS!

So, my friends, this is the end of the "Creeper" build. This brings up the question, "what's next"?

I'm hitting 70 in August but still want to BUILD so..................... who knows? All my "good" friends keep calling me up about cars for sale...............lol DSCN3835.JPG DSCN3836.JPG DSCN3843.JPG DSCN3838.JPG DSCN3734.JPG

Thanks for coming for the ride- have a safe and fun summer!
    Mike

brEad, King ford, patmanta and 11 others like this.
  24. gonzo

gonzo

Great seeing you today Mike. The car looks great and I’ll bet it goes just as well. See you at Mansfield.

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  25. Stogy, brEad, mike bowling and 6 others like this.
  26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Hmmmm.... mid engine inliner maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmmmmm....

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks, George. I'm glad I remembered the shower cap/ scoop cover ( .99 cents at the dollar store)
    One of these days we'll meet and have a good chat!

biggeorge likes this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Pat, me boy, this could be your golden opportunity. I might be persuaded to part with that marvelous feat of engineering for short money!
    Hand crafted from a 1957 Ford station wagon roof, sitting on a modified "T' frame, with "A" axles front and rear, this magnificent example of wasting time is ready for a drivetrain. All the hard work is done- with a couple of weekends and some simple hand tools, YOU could be blasting down the beach at TROG giving everyone the finger and singing "Back in the Saddle Again".

I await your reply. DSCN3802.JPG DSCN3841.JPG DSCN3837.JPG

brEad, biggeorge, patmanta and 2 others like this.
  29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Hah!, well I might be persuaded to part with that Ford 300 L6 also! ;)

I've already decided to pull the 265 out of my other T and drop the B Banger in that to hopefully make a TROG candidate out of it. That's why I've been looking for a 28/29 cab (or a 41 coupe/sedan); so I have a place to transplant the 265 to!

[​IMG]

gonzo and mike bowling like this.