Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Coupe-De-CAB is getting "new look" this month

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe-De-CAB, Jun 28, 2005.

1. labelkills

labelkills

I agree that guy was being an ass, but I may just be saying that because I am a 21 year old skateboarder and grew up looking up to more "traditional" skaters.

while dude was learning to paint and weld, Cab was of off getting paid to tear shit up, so eat a dick buddy, people often have more to them then think.

my two cents

2. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

CAB - I still have my CAB shoes - You're the best! HAHA really keep the updates coming. Nothing is cooler than to see a hot rod torn town and built back up, better than before. SWEET!

TUDOR - You're a jealous dick... no room for you here!

3. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

I don't do my own bodywork and I'm paying a buddy to help me out. I don't want to pay all that money in paint material to have my car look like crap just to say I DID IT. :rolleyes:

I was waiting for a stupid comment to ruin this post, and thanks Tudor for stepping up and not letting me down.

4. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

that was my first hamb rant...at least everyone else had the same sentiments as me...

5. Great progress Cab, thanks for sharing.

Tudor - your an ASS...

6. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Wow the ignorance of some people amazes me. Sometimes people get so high and mighty when they're not face to face, but behind their little computer screen. Some people don't have the time, The space, the tools, to do all the work themselves. Who care if he paid someone to do work on his car. "He's a busy man" I have plenty of experience in welding, painting, engine building. Yet I am paying one of the top shops in the NW to paint my car. Why? Because I am a busy person. I don't have time to go home at 6pm every night after working on customers cars all day for 10 hrs, and start doing body and paint work. I would prfer to have the work done by someone who isn't in a rush to finish it because they have to get to sleep so they can get up at 5 am to go to work. Somke guys on the HAMB might completely build their cars, Some guys do some of the work, and contract out other parts, And then there are guys who are really into hot rods and customs, but don't have the time or necessary skills to do it themselves. "Does that make them less worthy to be on the HAMB? I think not. They are into traditional rods and customs. Thats why they are here.

7. wow, well said..

8. Pics are great. What was that about being ready for The Asphalt Invitational? :)

9. HoldFast

HoldFast

very well said. I totally agree. I think there are some folks that get to caught up in what the hamb is "suppose" to be. Fact of the matter is it's a forum. It's were a bunch of guys/gals with similar interests go to talk. Whether it be about a dope car someone else built or techical help on something so they can do it themselves.

Not everyone has the tools, time, knowledge to do a lot of the stuff needed in the process of building a car. For those that do and do it...I give much respect. But in reality a lot of us either don't have the skills or don't have the time.

Talking crap about someone like Cab is petty. It's a great forum member. He's a hot rod lover of the best kind and he's a hell of a guy. He is also insanely busy. In an out of town..the country. Doing things to help the sport that he helped popularize stay popular and possitive. That's his job and his love. I'm thankful that he was there when we were young and I'm thankful he's here now that we're older.

I think people need to find their identity somewhere other than the internet.

I don't think there is a person alive...no matter how famous or talented a car builder that hasn't farmed something out. NOT ONE.

Edit. I was thinking about Tudor's perspective a bit more as well. I can see where guys like him get frustrated. He builds. In todays ebay world, so many people just buy. Whether it be too look cool and jump on the current trend or because they love the cars and don't have the time/knowledge to build them. They are still buying them. I myself and doing my best to learn what I can but I need all the help in the world to learn it...and do it.

That maybe think of why I think the hamb is really here.... to communicate with each other and to help eachother.

Cab is helping his buddy alex out by showing us the work he's doing. I'm sure cab just wants his car to be as good as it possibly can and he needs/wants help to do it. Nothing wrong with that.

Not like he's doin like some others and claiming the work as his own.

10. FONZI

FONZI

I agree that was well put,
    Also, if everyone could build bitchin cars themselves then it wouldn't be so cool to have a bitchin car. Would it?

Think about some of the most legenday cars.....They were built by guys like Barris, Roth, Jeffries, etc. They built most of them for CUSTOMERS. It is the customers who hire the talented builders (of yesterday and today) and allow them the freedom ($$$$) to build cars that inspire the rest of us to keep this hobby alive. I can do some stuff myself, and I do as much of it as I can, but a huge amount of the work on my car was done by talented friends. Why did I have them do work on my car? One, I do not have the skills, tools, or knowhow to do some of the amzing things they can do (does that make me unworthy?). The craftsmen that build NICE cars are truely talented. I have A TON of respect for these guys. I feel privelaged to have them work their art on my car (kinda like hiring an artist). Two, I work everyday (non car job) , have a family to spend time with, and friends to hang out with like most people.

I enjoy planning all of the details of my cars and essentially desinging them. Then, doing as much work as I can myself (I love working on my car, most of the time). After that I become a contractor of sorts hiring (or lucking out and getting help from friends) talented people to do some of the work for me. I really enjoy watching and helping these guys (when I get the opportunity) It amzes me. I think good bodymen are MAGICAL.

Do I feel like I shouldn't be here because of this? NO. I am just as passionate about traditional rods and customs as anyone else on here. I hope people continue to love these old cars, and I hope there are enough people to continue to hire these talented builders to build rolling works of art for them!

FONZI

11. HoldFast

HoldFast

great point. Thanks.

12. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Cool, I hope we get to see the finished product soon!

13. tudor,

All the respect i had for you in the last year, going through posts. has deminished.

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

So, what is a "Goldchainer" again? :)

Seriously, Cab, you seem pretty cool to me, If you at least Plan to build something one day, I can respect that. I found I enjoyed the building as much or more than the driving. Very few of us can do everything top to bottom, but getting a little "sweat equity" in there adds to the pride of owning a hotrod.

15. FONZI

FONZI

I totally agree with your "sweat equity" thought. That is a great and valid point. I do have a sese of pride based on my "sweat equity" that I have put into my cars. I have also enjoyed researching old magazines, and at car shows to learn about different styling ideas, and methods.

FONZI

16. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

You can label me to what ever suits you, doesn't mean i won't enjoy my ride whether i have pride in it or not. I do agree that your probably more stoked on your car if you did the work your self so you can go around and say " yea... i built this myself" i get the same satisfaction when i create something on canvas and look at it later and think... wow i did that, it's a good feeling for sure:)

I just want to say thanks to all you guys for the kind words and support in this project... and yes, I am trying to help my good friend Alex by:
    one... giving him some extra business while he's starting out and two, help promote his shop for i know how hard it is to make it on your own, especially going into business for yourself. i'm sure i could have went to someone else to get what i wanted done by why not keep it in the family! He's a friend that i have beeing hanging out with in the past year because of my friend larry who introduce me to him. He's a great guy and like i said he does awesome work for he's dedicated to his craftsmanship in Hotrods and kustoms.

all in all sorry this post turned into something other than a progress paint job, but i do thank all of you for your support once again. I love being involved with this board just as much as the next guy on here and yes i do wish i could contribute more, but i only have so much time to dedicate to my new hobby and if i could... i would.
    best wishes everyone and i have read all your comments and appreciate them very much!
    we'll atleast i can say ...i drive my hotrod to the shows, hope that counts for something:)
    CAB

17. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

You guys talking about "sweat equity"... I seem to remember a pic of Cab all greased up to his elbows doing some motor work to the same damn car that is getting painted... swapping out the intake manifold or something. It may not be much to you "pro builders" that have been doing this shit for years and can scratch build a hotrod out of toothpicks, duct tape and a Pinto motor... but dont knock the man for what he is doing (or paying to get done) to his car...

18. Good luck on the reconstruction project CAB. Can't wait to see it when it's out of the paint booth.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have no shame.

I'd much rather be driving my hot rod than building it!!!!!!!!

20. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

You know it!

21. tikEK

tikEK

hello, tudor.....tudor.....hello.....tudor.....you there.....
    must be out in his shop working on his cars.....

:D

more photos Cab, now please.....

22. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

okay...her ya go...first coat of primer! Alex did an excellent job reforming the lower bottom part of the cowl with sheet metal, looks sweet:)
    [​IMG]

Jason's Pierotti takes all precautions for safety:) after jason put his block sanding touches, it was smooth as butter! Alex even shaved the screws flat where the fenders would mount...nicely done.
    [​IMG]

that's the latest updated photos so far, they've been working on the doors and back trunk lid as well seperately.

I have a few more pics where Alex welded the B pillars with metal and took out the old wood to strengthen the car where it was chopped and welded previuosly, will post those tomorrow.
    thanks for looking,
    CAB

23. Lokks like it's getting the real loving touch. Got any pictures of the Moon Glow wannabe in the background?

24. Looks like a hell of a lot of work to do before next week...looking forward to seeing the finished result. :D

25. Muttley

Muttley

Looks like it's coming along nicely.:cool: Are you going to be changing the wheel color also?

26. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

with the wire in the top I keep thinking you should call it the chicken coupe de cab.

27. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

That is too funny... i like it:)

Muttely,
    the rims will be Black!
    I wanted to put kelsey's ( not Ford wires) on this car for the longest time, but i have seriously had the hardest time finding a nice complete set ( yes, have been looking everywhere...even swap meets) and when i did find a set, they were already sold:(

I'm still searching, a nice complete set are hard to find... maybe as hard as Animal CHIN ...he, he:)
    someday this Model A will sport them, until then it will still be running the steelies, but this time in Black.
    CAB

28. Sean

Sean

Stevie,
    You couldn't set Jason up with a vintage set of "Reactors"? Hahahaha. Maybe a set of "Slam's" during the block work? Hahahaha.

It's looking great Steve! Alex is doing it the right way. But hurry up, the 9th and 10th is coming quick. See you next weekend.

29. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

man...i have waited so long for this color change...a know alex is good...but cmon...i can't wait...i saw it in person before but i just can't wait...
    c'mon CAB get impatient...more pics
    -b

30. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Sean,
    atleast he has his low-top oldschool VANS on for better grip:)

your right... this weekend does seem unrealistic now since Alex and Jason had to take this thing down to bare metal, welding and finding all these things under the bondo here and there, plus losing one more day to 4th of July:( but' he's trying his best.

this next weekend is going to be super fun with Asphalt Invitational and your Strangers BBQ all in the same weekend... tons of crazy Hotrod fun!
    let's just keep the fingers crossed that everything goes alot smoother from here till then ...yea sure:)

here are a few pics of the B pillar strengthening and replace the old wood insert with metal.
    [​IMG]

another piece to make it flush and even stronger and also weld were it was chopped more properly.
    [​IMG]

the other side.
    [​IMG]

all this extra welding put into this paint job has really slowed things down to make this car ready for next weekend, but boy i'm glad we fixed all these things in the process of painting it, because it's going to be one sturdy/bitchen rod when it's done now!

ha...we could have made this into tech week this Monday "how to strengthen up your B pillars"
    CAB