Perseverance. It's both a blessing and curse. Having the mental fortitude to fight through obstacles has helped to make me successful in school, work, and many other endeavors. But there have been other times where, let's face it; the smarter move is to just take the L, cut your losses, and move on. Well, Momma didn't raise no quitter, and while I'd like to say that I have perseverance, my wife and mother would probably just tell you that I'm stubborn. Either way, here goes. (I will try to keep this thread as on-topic as possible since there is a significant amount of work I did that runs afoul of HAMB standards) I bought this '61 Olds Super 88 about three years ago, which I thought would be a basically turn key driver. In other threads I've mentioned a lot of the issues I had with the car just to get it to run and drive, but I worked through those enough to get at least part of the 2019 season out of the car. When push came to shove though, there was simply too long of a list of issues that needed to be rectified to keep playing "whack-a-mole" with, and the decision was made to just pull the whole car apart and start over. The 394 had virtually no oil pressure at hot idle and would flicker the idiot light, which was confirmed by multiple different mechanical gauges. The 50/50 mixture of VR1 SAE50 and Lucas stabilizer was basically like molasses, and gave me some much needed oil pressure, but also collapsed the lifters at highway speed. The Slim Jim actually worked fine once adjusted properly, but was still a god-awful slush box choking out that monster engine. A cost/benefit analysis was made to abandon the Olds and go with a new crate 350 and 700R4. I pulled the engine out in February of 2020, right before the shit hit the fan in the world. While transitioning over to a Chevy drivetrain may have been less expensive route in the grand scheme of things monetarily, it likely made up for that in amount of work and fabrication required to get the engine in there. The Olds chassis is a VERY difficult chassis to do this engine swap on. Also, the PS pump setup that was on here when I got it was a Rube Goldberg machine of a Borgenson pump, a remote reservoir tucked into the battery tray that leaked, and bunch of extra hydraulic lines. I wanted to clean all of that up with a standard Saginaw pump with integrated reservoir. I notched the chassis and boxed it all in to accommodate the new PS pump. Because the Olds has a perimeter frame, and the Chevy drivetrain needs a rear trans crossmember, I had to do something that was strong enough to do the job, but thin enough to not drop below the frame rails. The car being as low as it is (at least some of the time) was a constraint that created many an engineering conundrum. I looked into my pile of metal and settled on some solid 2"x.75" bar stock, beveled it out real good, and laid into it with the TIG. It's about 5 and a half feet long. Lots of time was spent on mock up. I cut up a bunch of mandrel bands and was able to route the exhaust around the center link (accounting for the movement of the pitman arm), and mated it to the rest of the exhaust with some spring clamps. That way if something needs to be serviced, the forward pipes can simply drop out . I also added what felt like miles of wire to this car. The factory harness was completely overtaxed with all of the new electrical accessories that were added to the car, and really should have been replaced. It was to the point that the windshield wipers would blow the fuse if the headlights were on, which means that it's both dark and raining. In an effort to get some of the circuits off of the main panel under the dash, and considering I was only making the problem worse with compressors, and electric fuel pump, etc., I put an auxiliary fuse block in the trunk. I used this to power the compressors, electric fuel pump, trans lockup, and windshield wipers motor. It was $35 off of Amazon and worked awesome. I painted the engine in HOK KD3000 and then Shimrin2 Celestial White with an effects pack I mixed up, and buried it in Show Klear. Then I mated it up to the trans and slid it in. After rerouting both the heater hoses and throttle linkage, not to mention the desire to cover the brutal painted seam-sealer not he firewall, I decided to upholster the firewall. The backing also served the dual purpose to serve as a mounting platform for the fuel block and ignition coil. After what felt like a damn eternity, I was finally able to fire this thing up and take it for a drive. First stop... the car wash to clean off 2 years worth of shop grime. I haven't put the hood back on yet because I'm superstitious that if I do, some SNAFU is going to happen to make me have to take engine back out. That's on the agenda for this week. This project is far from done. Right now I'm in the feeling out phase where I'm just trying to shake it down, make adjustments and tweaks, and try to dial it in. Next on the agenda is to recharge my A/C, replace my gas pedal with a better set-up, possibly convert over to a solid linkage on the dual-quads and 86 the progressive linkage, and put a little more timing to it. Once I'm happy with the reliability and performance, then it's onto some body and paint correction. But I'm feeling pretty good to finally roll this thing out of the garage under it's own power and see some light at the end of the tunnel. The fact is I've lost a lot of time and money on this car, and would have been better off taking the L, selling it off as a project, and moving onto the next car. But I didn't. I suffered through the work, and the consolation prize will be a pretty tough custom car when I'm done.