Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Coachman Show 1955-1957

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. c57heaven

c57heaven

Wow! What an introduction to HAMB!
    That movie was too cool.
    Unless I missed it, not a 57 Chevy in sight. Kind of cool. Try repeating that at a car show these days.

2. hhmmmmm din't Von Dutch have a part in that "flame up" too?

3. customcory

customcory

How the hell did I miss this! I don't know about the rest of you , but I have to wipe the tears away while I'm watching this. Seeing all those musty magizine photos come to life is priceless. Just like going back in time.:D

4. Wow what can I say, I was left in Aww

5. At the 1958 show the 2nd place trophy for "Full Custom" went to Bud Lehner's Fadeaway Ford.

I wish there was some film of the '58 show too![/quote]

Does anyone know what the award list roster was ? Who won what and was it first , second or third ?

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm looking at old posts and bringing 2 or three back to the top simply cuz they deserve it... Don't try this at home.

7. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Those videos never get old Ryan. Thanks for bringing them back up.

8. Please tell me what program I'm missing to not see videos on here.I need help!

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

10. [​IMG]

This is the dash plaque affixed to the radiator support of the Overman Lincoln.
    I have located several of the old trophies that were awarded to the car. Does anyone know what the ones awarded at the shows looked like. It seems many times the awards were listed with the sponsors name and didnt list the event by name.

11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks for reviving this thread.Really awesome!

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I first saw this video at Larry Watsons shop in Norco about 15 years ago. I think it was he that added great music to it. This was around the time Larry and his son were filming at Paso and making/selling video's . I'd give anything for a copy of this Coachman show !

13. bduree

bduree

Truly cool videos...although i'm not so much of a hot rod guy, more muscle cars, i really appreciate the creativity and passion these guys had. I felt i needed to join the discussion and here's why. I hope you find my short story interesting. I got a link to the video from my brother this morning in my email. i was about 2 years old in 1955 when the videos were shot, and i lived in Norwalk, CA at the time. So, I was watching at work (of course) and at about 6:35 into the part 1 video, a girl walks into the frame and out the bottom. It's my Mother!! I watched this segment about 20 times because i couldn't believe it was her, but i'm 100% sure now. CRAZY!! Mom & Dad were into the car & motorcycle scene back then. They must have gone to the car show and left me with the baby sitter...Amazing what the internet can do.

14. Richard Gonzales

Richard Gonzales

Mick- How did you know it was Dick Gonzales's 55 Stude?

Dick Gonzales

15. Dr. Torch

Dr. Torch

Great Video. I especially liked it because it was shot at my school. Graduated there in '59.

16. thanks for bringing this back up...I missed it the first time through!

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This film is like late '50's kustoms 101.Without seeing it I would not of thought up my '54 panel 'the Kripple Kart'.It showed me trucks could be Kustomised just as well as '49 Mercs and obviously were back in the day.
    Paul.

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

This video is so dreamy :rolleyes:

19. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Great stuff, somehow I missed it the first time around. I'm amazed just how many of those cars I recognized from magazine features in the little books.

Very cool seeing Jimmy Clanton, too - I worked with Jimmy in 1975 when he was a DJ at WHEX oldies radio in Lancaster, PA. He was a really nice guy and told me lots of stories of his early days as a singer and all the people he toured with - a Rock 'n Roll Allstar Revue.

20. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

There was a mild custom 1955 Chevy hardtop - black or brown body and copper top - at 6:23 into the first video, parked next to a black Ranchero. Anyone know if this car was ever featured in a magazine? It looks familiar, but I can't place it.

21. chevy choker

chevy choker
    from Missouri

This was Excelsior High School football field in Norwalk, Ca, my school. I remember fondly this particular show. I didn't belong to the Coachmen, they had mostly new or highly customized cars, too expensive for my blood, but I used to cruise the Clock drive in to look at them, and later Harvey's broiler in Downey after the Clock closed. :)

22. John Denich

John Denich

Hey Dave I will ask Larry Watson this weekend, it is parked beside two of his buddies cars! I am sure he will know about it!

23. rvs57lin

rvs57lin

This was a great film clip on the 50's car show. I didn't get to Calif. until 1958 but did get in some shows. Thank you Ryan,Marcie and Piero for contributing these great video's. Sure brings back the memories of the best generation ever. Would like to have gotten a picture of my 56 and 57 Lincoln conv's on this site but can't see where to attach them?

Thanks again RVH Southlake, Texas

24. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

____________________________________________________________________________

Just found this link via a note in the Society of Land Speed Racing Historians weekly newsletter and came to take a look. Memories galore! I attended this show along with one other Coachmans show and still have the entry tickets posted on my MAN WALL downstairs. And to make it doubly fascinating, it gives me some great shots of my old high school, Excelsior Union HS, class of 62, even from the air.Maybe thats why they called us 'Pilots'. Thanx Piero, Marcie and Ryan whoever and wherever you are.

An interesting note. The brass dash plaque PALOSFU3 posted a photo of shows a date for the 4th Motorcade as August 11, 1957. My ticket is printed with the date of August 4th. I wonder if there was a rainout the first weekend and the event postponed till the following weekend? Very interesting ! ! ! !

Does anyone remember the little wildly scalloped Lambreta scooter that was also on display?

Burly in Utah

Attached Files:

25. wolfman4u

wolfman4u
    from USA

Wow, I really enjoyed watching the Norwalk Coachman Car Club Show Videos. Are their any Coachman members still living ? I think there was a Motorcycle Club out of Norwalk CA about the same time.

The Wolfman

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  26. silverthefox

silverthefox

The kid in the coachmen jacket is Johnny Beddow and he is alive and kicking saw him at the 50 year reunion of the class of 1955 Excelsior High School in Norwalk, CA.
    The other kid in video three at the mike standing with the girl is the president of the Coachmen Keith Christensen who graduated in my class in 1955 and was in the band with me for four years. He played the trombone no less. We ran around together in grammar school inseperable you might say.
    I saw myself in the second video on the grass watching the awards being handed out had on dark glasses. The car I remember the most from the show was the red mercury which was a radical custom for that day and won a lot of awards!

27. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'm sure glad this post has made it back up, I need to watch it every now and then to get my soul back in line. I graduated from Artesia High School in 1963, Norwalk was our cross town rivals (along with Excelsior HS).
    Man I love That Stuff!!!!!! THANKS!

28. silverthefox

silverthefox

Too funny Silhouettes 57! When I was in the Excelsior High School band we played at the opening ceremonies of Artesia High School which must have been in 54 or 55!
    I remember on the bus we were served chocolate milk cartons from the local dairymen in Artesia later known as Dairy Valley till they all moved out to Corona and Norco. I went to Excelsior with all their kids and a few were in the band. There were over 300 kids in my graduating class because we were the only high school around; no Bellflower High yet and no Artesia High so Excelsior was packed with kids!
    I also remember I went to Artesia High School in the late afternoon and evening where I attended Cerritos College before the campus opened in 1957 in Norwalk.
    Thanks for bringing back old memories!

29. 36hplandspeedracer

36hplandspeedracer

I just realized I had a second entry ticket for a Coachmens car show from an earlier date. This event was held on July 20 so it is probably 56 or 55. Anyone know ?

Burly

Attached Files:

30. RW1941

RW1941
    from ARIZONA

I am 67 yrs old, this brought tears to my ole eyes. Thank you, thank you.