Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Coachman Show 1955-1957

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

I Had To Look Again Spotted In Part 3 Fuzzy's Body Shop 40 Pu Tony "fuzzy" Luscri Deep Polychromatic Green . Mar 55 Hrm.

2. squash

squash

Man, thanks to all who were involved in this, its so awsome to see some of the most influential rods and customs and girls in motion. This was a great inspiration as all are the mad fab videos!.........O those girls!

3. Dirk

Dirk

Hey Dirk, who got Top Custom? :)[/QUOTE]

At the 1958 show the 2nd place trophy for "Full Custom" went to Bud Lehner's Fadeaway Ford.

I wish there was some film of the '58 show too!

4. That film makes me long for the ability to time travel even more today than ever before.....Very Cool stuff, especially for those of us old enough to have been around to enjoy it the first time...Thanks so much....Sandpiper

5. Hans

Hans

I just got done watching it for the 6 or 7th time.

Firstly, I miss the days when women wore those bautiful dresses. I am young guy so I wasn't around, but the modesty is so damn sexy. I wish women of my generation would take note.

Secondly, again the red and white '55 Bel-Air in part 3 @7 minutes, 23 seconds is un-real. I love watching it bounce out of the show with passenger in tow. I am not much of a tri-five guy, but that car is beautiful. I can't stop looking at it. It's perfect.

Anyone know who's it is?

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW!

7. primed34

primed34

Thanks! That was way cool. Anyone notice that the '55 and '56 Chevys had already lost those uglyass hood birds?

8. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i was digging through my old HOTROD mags,,because i beleive it was a feature,,,i couldnt find it though,,other than a shot of what i think is it in a 1957 hotrod mag,but it has no discription,....if i remeber though..it was from long beach....

9. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

Video 2, 25 seconds left: what kind of car is that plum colored long and low one? damn. I must find out!

10. RodP

RodP

Franco

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about any of what I thought I remembered so I called Larry Watson today. It was great talking with him. He told me basically what you said. The movie was on super 8 film and was shot by a couple of the Coachmen club members. They even knew someone with an airplane that was not too far away at the Bellflower airport. He said he used to fly his model airplanes on that track field before he was in high school.

He said he gave me my copy of the movie too. It's been so long ago that I can't remember. The DVD quality is way better than my grainy old VHS copy. Larry talked about some of the other movie footage that people have from those days. Sure would be nice to get a peek at that stuff too. I guess we should be grateful we have this.

He also said to let every one know that he didn't do the flame job on Carol Lewis 56 Chev. and she was Jeff's girlfriend. You and I both know that he would have if he could have.

I forgot to ask him if that was Von Dutch on the bike. Maybe next time.

Thanks to Ryan and everyone else who put this together for us.

Latersville Rod .........................................

11. brainfrz

brainfrz

Awesome. Thank you all for the hard work of getting these up for all to view. It is just great. I too love the dresses and modesty of the era. The cars are just perfect. Plus the show was simple, low key and everybody was having fun.

Jon

12. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

poodle skirts,khakis,tucked in shirts,doo-whop music,drive up trophys,dont dis any more GOODGUYS shows boys,rite KIRK! ?

13. i've seen part of this on the barris video. it's great to see the rest. amongst many others the jack james buick is there. (black with lots-o-flames) and as mentioned, a tucker. it's amazing to see all those cars and people in one place. doing what we do now, hanging out and lovin' cars. i can't imagine they had any idea of the impact they were making. probably didn't care. some of those guys where making a living from their passion and just having fun. half of them where probably being hasselled by their parents to get a real job. glad they didn't.

14. That is a massive amount of talent in one location.

Also: No fat slobs wandering around in t-shirts, baggy shorts and flip-flops.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Really great Ryan. Thanks a bunch. I've loved watching this place evolve.

16. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I spotted Carol lewis's 56 straight away ,having read about it back i n the day....and don't mind me if I say I sang along :rolleyes:
    The youngies in pt 3 @7.22 in the hardtop bought back memories of cruising the beaches in my '56 ;):)

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No, they're running around shirtless, with capris and fuzzy bunny slippers.....:rolleyes:

18. 38pickup

38pickup

LMAO. Awesome! Thanks Ryan and anyone else who had a part in making this a reality.

19. stan292

stan292

Ryan/Gang -

Killer stuff! Almost beyond belief when you think about how many of the early icons were there (cars and people!).

The gull-wing Mercedes that RodP mentions as belonging to Earl Bruce is said to have been Von Dutch's very first flame job (supposedly, the owner just handed the car over to him with instructions to paint it however he desired. The flames were the result.) Note that they "burn" straight up, as though the car is just sitting still, with no attempt to appear "in motion" as soon became the desired look.

I recall it being mentioned as perhaps the first-ever flame job on a street-only machine - and responsible for beginning the fad - that has never really gone away.

Great stuff in any case, and a marvelous addition to the HAMB. Kudos all around!

20. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Truly awesome!!!!! Thanks be to all those involved who made this possible for us to enjoy!

21. as i recall reading once, the flames were added to cover-up runs in the paint...could also be the reason for them burning upward?

22. omg, those extra 5 minutes...omg...this is just the coolest thing EVER. period. Makes me want to be able to time travel

23. autobilly

autobilly

Just caught the rest of 1. The extra footage is killer. Interesting to note, lots of late model (for the time) customs, looks quite high buck to me.

24. Brian W

Brian W

WOW!! This is some awesome footage! Thanks to Ryan, and EVEL for coming together to make this all possible!

I have one question though... Where's all the flat black and rusty cars, with spider webs and skulls welded everywhere? :rolleyes:

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, THANKS AGAIN!

25. squash

squash

Lookin for any info on the green and gold '51 ford about 25 seconds into part two. I cant get this car out of my head!

26. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

The 47 Ford is actually a 1947 Mercury done by Barris (as far as I know) and was originally built for Cliff Rockohn or (Dave Glickman, I'm still not sure about that) and looked much better with its rear end dropped and fender skirts installed.

[​IMG]

As seen in the movie it was owned by John Logg who removed the skirts and raised the rear...

[​IMG]

Two other cars that can be seen are two Valley Customs Shop cars owned by Ina Mae Overman. Here 1956 T-Bird with Model A bumpers and here 1952 Lincoln Capri... in matching colors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos from http://www.gt350lady.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lost count on how many times I have watched the movies now... these are sooooooo great.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  27. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

MORE !!!! MORE !!!! MORE !!!!

Way to go guys and gal!

28. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Damit! Everytime I go past this thread I have to click on it and watch those so cool movies again.

29. me likey

so cool
    even trophy guys for plow boy!