Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Clem Waske 29 Roadster #265B

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cyclone Kevin, May 20, 2016.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This photo is worth a thousand words and a million parts !

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thx Gary& Joyce,
    Ya know, every time I've gone to the Lakes I've hung out at the starting line for a bit to see what's running, I hit the pits to visit with pals and just plain roll up & down the return road as runs are going down, but not this time.
    It was very important to see and have Clem's Gal out there and meet Bruce, Elmer and Family out there.
    We didn't race, break any records or even get a chance to just kick back and take in the day.
    What did happen was that Elmer got to relive an earlier time just being there on the same Lakes that he ran on nearly 70 years before in a 32 V8 Roadster, got to take a spin and just be photographed.

I got to drive the "Waske" and feel it's "Effect" as I backed it up after we swapped back on its Kelsey's.
    Then as I drive it around I got a feeling of complete smoothness, it of course still needs a lot of work to get it where she'll be fun to cruise to breakfast.
    That said, I was extremely fortunate enough to take Elmer for a cruise around the pits, when we got away from any nearby objects, he said, let's open it up!!!

We did way out, but "I didn't want to pull a Hughes" as all Howard would do take it beyond what was recommended as being the limit and basically taking his and others lives in his hands, So we just opened it up for a sec and just continued our drive.

He came back safe. ;). He liked the ride and we all made just a little bit more of these cars history. It was a very Kool day. Much work and I was pretty tired, The PRC had a brunch run today to Pomona, I had to rest, definitely next time though....

Elmer, Oscar, Bruce, his family and of course myself had a great time and paparazzi came by just as I had loaded Clem's Gal to photograph Elmer!!!! What a day!!!!!! IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1423.PNG

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Great photos Kevin - you've managed to capture the essence of the era and shown us the vibe.

The KH wires on the CW car make it

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  4. Well Gary said it all above....I am so proud of both you and Bruce......Now get back to work on them and lets go racing next time out....

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx,
    We both worked real hard at getting them there. It was great to have those two cars together and be able to drive them for their 1st rides.
    We'll get back to work asap. ;).
    CK.

6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Kevin,
    Glad To see that you made it to the dry lakes. Frank

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Frank,
    Couldn't have done it without that shell. I appreciate it. As I'm sure Clem does too. IMG_6217.JPG IMG_6247.JPG IMG_1430.PNG

120mm, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well it's been a week since the day we got Clem's 265B roadster out, swapped back on its K-H's on the rears. It just wouldn't fit that trailer with them on so on went the 21" s as that's the fit for those rails.

So we trimmed the hood a bit more to get more of the look that Clem had, not sure if I'm up for changing the rubber rake that it has as I prefer having a CA, Rake, Clem may have not had the dough to have 750's on the rear and 500-550's up front, who knows, he might've got a few more MPH out of some of those timed runs?
    IMG_1543.PNG
    So here's Oz next to The Waske Effect, we played with hood a bit we continue to refine it to what Clem kept tweaking from the late 30's to the late 40's.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  9. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Kevin, sorry I missed you at El Mirage. I was busy fighting a lack of oil pressure. :(
    Wayno

Outback likes this.
  10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'm sorry Oz & I missed you, but at least Sam got to hang out there with Paul & Co.
    I listened to your run, noticed something was up on the pull out.
    We were meeting some folks out there and we didn't want to be in the way so we were NW of the pits just north of Callaway's.
    We'll visit next meet. :).

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well the trailer that we towed it to Elmo was a tad too narrow, I didn't want to kill those new stones/good-years ;), they're borrowed from Oscar.....:). On went the 21's to get it there. It was decided that we'd just do something different for the the future, IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG It now has a new home to a HAMBer that is going to make the mods the make it fit his Hop Up.
    It sure did tow nice......

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Stovebolt like this.
  12. Kevin, Ya got a trailer!!!!!!!!!!! No more having to scrounge one up.......Now how cool is that? Great photo of Oz. Tell him I said hi.

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Bought, sold it, but doing another that will fit all the cars.
    Joe. P. Had that one, I really liked the way it towed, it just happened to be to narrow for what Oz, Joe and I tow. So a new one is coming around.;).

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

We did pipes today that end mid section. Still no mufflers, I had to make the flanges, seem like muffler shops don't stock those any longer. ;). IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1782.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Outback, Stogy and HomemadeHardtop57 like this.
  15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kevin, these late photos help a bit to somewhat reduce the sting Joyce and I both felt when we couldn't make this truly historic outing. GOD only knows how much we wanted to witness the rebirth of the CW and the successful cloning of Elmer's ride from the '40s. I'm going to scan these last couple pages of photos/comments 'till I have to hit the rack. Once again, congratulations to Cyclone Kevin Preciado and Bruce Omohundro, a.k.a. paintslinger805. We will see you outlaws before too damn long, and I hope that midwest 383 type guy can make it too. Sad Gary and Joyce !

16. Hey, Gary & Kevin.....I am going to make it to the roadster show after all. I will be hot rod less as I am going with Gary from Cornhusker hot rod shop. Thanks to him inviting me along. See ya all in LA.

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Looking forward to seeing you Dennis!!!!!
    Hope to see you too Gary & Joyce!!!!!!

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!!!!
    Last year we carried Clem's 29 Roadster body out past the OT Regal and every thing in between (see earlier posts for pix).
    No new pix, but still progressing on Clem's steed.
    I still can't believe what we've accomplished in so little time......

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!!!!
    Last year we carried Clem's 29 Roadster body out past the OT Regal and every thing in between (see earlier posts for pix).
    This was supposed to post last night.......:(.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry that I haven't posted on the CW265b post, but I really haven't had much to say.....
    I will though say this, when I started the build at Oscar's I thought that it would never make it in the garage Well last week it did, so perhaps I be able to button some stuff up..... IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1138.JPG Continue we will and hopefully we'll have more new things to share....

21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I love the garage shot, two 29 roadsters looks good to me.Frank

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thx Frank,
    The red one is Oz's, it's his after Bonneville build that we did 31 yrs. I'm lucky to have him as family member and allow me to do all of builds that we've done. ;).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Got these sent by a some bi-coastal friends (Jersey & Nor-Cal). 1F657623-218E-4971-A1A4-83A5821A21C7.png So cool to see this Jack L. Herron pic as all I had from this date was this one by Jack Stecker- same date May 25th 1947. F10947D9-8C7F-48F0-8D1B-88623F7AFF8A.png
    So now there’s bookends. And of course the present. 29AD2E1C-BC59-48C2-8332-9830B9A7A9EE.png A65F2136-ACB7-4757-A578-270AAE6B4C97.png
    It so great to see that someone else took the time to take the picture as not a whole bunch of these cars were ever preserved for posterity.
    I’m glad that I have the car.......

Since this is only rear shot that I have of this car at the lakes after it was modified in the cowl/rear roll pan area I have another picture that I have wondered about. Looking at the lower Right corner of the picture, I see a familiar face, it’s Clem.... Doc said that they spent a lot of time there @Jeraulds.

Now I’m looking at this picture and I had suspicions that this was Clem’s Car pre-mods.
    Since the above picture was posted with the taillights vertical, I think that it may confirm it.

The write up with this picture shows this belonging to a Jerauld’s employee, George Barber and this car being #58 with Al Jerauld standing, but more than likely the car was lent for the meet for So-Cal Roadster Club points and since Clem was a sign painter, he whipped up a logo for the body to match the other shop racers. This was 1946, so the car wears a different plate the next year in 1947. 14E9DBA8-97A4-4711-8B33-207778E7262D.png 4A300E42-0AAE-4A02-84D3-FA562CFEC44F.png 7CB16380-DE35-464D-AB74-F849A8D886CF.png Messing around with the grease pen, I had began to put the Jerauld’s livery on.....also put The Oz Man on the door;). kinda cool I thought. “They say a picture is worth a thousand words” I feel that this speaks volumes ;).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Allow for inflation from 1947 to 2017 and adjust it at today’s numbers and it’s yours!!!!!!!!;).

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Kev I think that the split bone mounts are further back on the frame a few inches on the the GB #58 car.
    I initially thought the empty holes on 265b at the back were where 58 had exhaust pipes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But I don't think that's the same location. You can obviously see that the vertical tail lights are further away from the license plate too. It could all have been repositioned after the mods. But also it could be close copying of buddies.
    The new pic is awesome. Amazing what surfaces out there. I believe this new one totally shows without a doubt that your car is 265b for anyone who questioned it.
    Not to hurt your feelings either but I suspect the radiator you have is what's holding you back from lowering the grill shell to closer mimic Clem's proportions?
    And finally that thing needs drilled front backing plates(red)!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That's $10,106.46 in today's money!

28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That's all? I would have thought much more.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Don't you dare sell this car Kevin! Unless it's to Doc, that's it though.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah Wyatt,
    Who knows????? All of the players are gone so I have no way to “really” lock down all of the info....other than Doc and what he tells me....
    Now I wasn’t really out to dupe this car exactly as it changed constantly, so basically it’s as close as I can get with what parts I could find.
    As for the shell it actually sits lower than the cowl by 1/2” to 3/4”, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t look like it’s out of proportion on different angles.
    I can tell you one thing, the rear spring and rear end is straight out of my 1st hot rod 34 coupe, the eyes are stock, so it’s not quite as low as it got in its last incarnation when Clem had it. It is though as high as it was when the dog is up on the CA. Roll.
    Now the wheels/tires change its stance as well as Clem used 600-16 front and 650-16 rear where as these now are 500-16 front and 750-16 rear which give it the old CA. Rake. I think the present Mor-Drop Axle also has a deeper drop than the Dago. So that is really messing with ones eyes, but it drives so bitchen......
    What I was out to do was to make this my own car, but utilizing some of its past history,(see the mock up photos with the track nose).
    What happened here is that Zach Suhr really felt that it should be restored to what Clem had so another 10 yrs go by and I got serious about not having just a body here and a frame there, so we worked on the body getting all of the rot out and it sat again until this build..
    I haven’t had the $’s to throw an interior or even a very nice paint job....
    Perhaps all of this will come down the line. As I said above, I’m just happy to have it as is Doc. :).