Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Cincinnati Kid build thread!! 1930 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JGRAFF, Oct 30, 2009.

?
  1. Kick up

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Or...not to kick up

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

update...

I wasn't happy with the lack of rake in the frame and body, so, i modified the rear cross member and added some springs.

Also, mounted the grille, temperately, for the show. The grille is a loner and is beautiful!!! Thanks Matt!!!!

I made some new wood blocks for the body to mount on.

And, did i mention, i bought this body with a '40 ford dash already welded in? It was done in the '80's. Some minor cutting and grinding and it will look great!!

Still a lot of work needs to get done before the show, but it coming a long...

Attached Files:

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks great thus far. It's really getting there. I'm starting to see it.

Keep up the good work.

3. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Cavalcade preview....

For those of you who will not make it, take a look....

Those of you who will....look away quick!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. I love love love this roadster man. GREAT work. Shes gonna be fucking fast...

5. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

You've come along way, a good inspiration !!, I'm going to the garage and get to work,

6. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I got some big updates.

Finished the rear suspension (panhard bar)

We pick up your run of the mill mid '90's caravan seat. Very plain and unexciting but oh so comfy!!!

Chopped the windsheld. when i got the car i came with the posts chopped already!! so i cut the windsheld down 3" to match. By my calculations it's a total of around 6-7" inch chop.

So now i waiting on some more income to make some more parts purchases. But in the mean time ive been working on the sheet metal.

Started with the dash rail. Since someone put in the '40 ford dash there is a lot of small problems with the metal. The dashrail was welded in way too far back and at a weird angle. So, i had to cut it out (shape it slightly) and weld it back in. Now the gaps are right and it fits snug!!!

And now i just finished the firewall. To begin with it was not as bad as others ive seen, but, as i started working i swear there was about 5000 holes. So, i cut the original recess out and started working on fitting it to the sbc. Im very happy with how it came out.

Ill try to keep you fellas updated.

Attached Files:

7. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

more..................

Attached Files:

8. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

more.......

Attached Files:

9. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

Awsome work man! That firewall looks a million times better than the first one that was on there.

Keep the pics comming!

~JoJo~

10. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Yeah i hated that one with the big square recess in it. And plus i didn't need that much room for the engine and that just takes away from leg room. Not good. The new one is in way better shape. i used the same gage sheet metel for the recess as the rest of the firewall. That is unlike the square recess on the old one.

Thanks for watching!! Stay tuned cause tax returns are comming ($$$$) and it's already spent before i got it. Whats new, right?

JGRAFF

11. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Looks like a really clean build. Love the wheel combo. Simplicity is the key in these roadsters....great job....

12. looks to me like one of those Cheviot garages..very cool project!!

[​IMG]

13. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Who's that good looking fella in that pic????

14. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Good luck on the build. Looks bitchin'. Does the little woman know what it's like driving an open car across the world for 8-10 days. Been there (ouch), done that. That's why I prefer a closed car. If you got something I can help with, Tell Dad to give me a call. Ken S

15. patina33

patina33

Hay if an old man can drive across country in an open car, then I am sure the young pups will have a blast. Call if you need something. Anybody that drives has my vote. #5

16. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I figured that if she gives me any problems i'll just bring a hand full of Benadryl, and knock her out for a few......JKJK

Truthfully, she is just as enthusiastic about this trip as i am. And now that we are planning to keep going west for an extra week (beach and ?) she is really pumped and so am I ! ! !

(Link to suggestions thread) Everyones input is appreciated!!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444533

17. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Who was that dude that didn't make it cross country? Can't remember his name, had a yellow car?

18. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

sarcastic as always......

19. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Cool thread, really dig that ride....

20. "A" Tub

"A" Tub

Hey man the roadster looks great and the Firewall is MUCH better.

21. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

looking good man.

22. rustyhood

rustyhood

Thumbs up! keep posting pics of progress!

23. sota

sota

The roadster is looking great!!

24. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Got some more progess pics!!!
    The pictures of the cowl show the two patch panels i just did. I found some late 60's valve covers in dads inventory, picked up the grill shell at a swap meet for cheap!!! and just receved my headers from the guys at Gear Drive.

The plan is to finish up on the cowls metal work and put the body aside for a little while so i can finish the frame (get it running, stopping, and at least in some primer)

It almost looks like a car now.

P.s. I got a little suprise coming in the mail, but i will show you all the progress pics when that is all done. Hint.......GRILLE INSERT, thats all i'm going to say.

So, stay tuned

JGRAFF

Attached Files:

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

SHit how did I miss this thing? It's absolutely awesome man!!!

Stance is perfect.
    Windshield is perfect.
    Wheels and tires are perfect.
    Engine is awesome!
    Headers are awesome!

Dude, you really have a nice roadster going.

26. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Thanks a lot to everyone for the comments. I don't care who you are, it makes you feel good when others like your style. Thanks again!!!!

JGRAFF

27. brady1929

brady1929

28. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Update......it's been awhile!!!

I bit the bullet and got myself a Durant "super low" mono leaf front spring. This thing makes your car so low it is almost TOO low, but we all know that is not possible. At the lowest place on the frame (the front frame horns) it took me from 6.5 inches to almost 5 inches ground clearance. PERFECT!! I raised the rear of the frame 1 inch to give the final ride height / rake. I included some action shots for your amusement.

Also mounted the radiator and grille shell today.

Ive also been working on the front and rear shocks but ill wait to post until its done so i can show the whole process.

Stay tuned!!!

Attached Files:

29. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Yesterday i started the front shock mounts and today i finished them. I think they turned out really good.

First, i turned down about two inches of 5/8" diameter rod on my new southbend lathe ( i love that thing!!!!!) to 7/16". Used a die to tread the ends. I drew em up, and fired up the torch. Then bent them to the correct degrees. I probably didn't have to oil quench them but i had never hardened anything before and wanted to try it, plus i figured the harder the better. Then cut them down to size ground a flat on the area that i then welded to the frame. These are super strong and look pretty good too.

I started looking around the garage a noticed after about a month of welding/grinding/drilling/cutting/etc... that it was time to clean up and sweep the freaking floors. So, i took the nice weather and rolled the car out to see it in the sun.

I cant wait to drive this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

30. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

You better get your butt in gear. The suns shining and the cars are coming out of the woodwork. A little over 4 months to go!!!!