Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Cincinnati Kid build thread!! 1930 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JGRAFF, Oct 30, 2009.

?
  1. Kick up

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Or...not to kick up

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. sololobo

sololobo

Another sweet one on the way, love the plan. Might consider good old Ford Washington blue, it is my fave, I might be uneasy saying my hotrod is a Beemer color, but whaever you choose will be right on! Thanks for sharing the project!! ~Sololobo~

2. I believe that's Dr. to us, he's a proctologist!

3. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

herse the pics

Attached Files:

4. Great project , keep us posted ,,

Attached Files:

5. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

what do you guys think???.. should i kick up the front end about 2" in order to run the 4" drop axle i have or get a 6" drop axle and not kick up the front? I'm worried about keeping the frame true in shape. I know i can do the job, and i really like the look of '32 rails kicked up, but is it worth the trouble and/or heartache of cutting a deuce frame?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

ttt...please vote on the poll i need some help deciding.

7. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

it's looking good so far. Bill Stelles Model A is a great looking car. A buddy of mine works at the shop that built it and did a lot of the work on it. Kickin up a frame isn't a lot of work. if you like the look of kicked up frames better go for it.

8. TikiBoi13

TikiBoi13
    from San Pedro

Looks clean, Sits nice I like where u are going with it. Going to subscribe to this one. Keep the post coming.

9. Mines not kicked up in front but it's got one in the rear... Just use a "Model A" crossmember which is nearly flat and a set of "Reversed eye springs" and a simple 4" dropped axle.

That way you get the perfect stance without looking broken in half or worse yet "squashed"!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Do a 5" magnum axle,super low mono spring,flat style front x-member.
    That should do it.

Let's see more pic's bud.

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Listen to this guy.. He wears a BLACK SHIRT and knows what he's talking about!

;)

12. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Some more progress pics for the ladies and gentle men watching... although i have not had as much time in the garage as I wanted in the last couple of weeks, but, a little progress anyway!!

First of all, I am not going to kick up the front of this frame, maybe I will do it on another build but it's just not right for this one. So that is settled!! By the way...how do you take that "Poll" question box off of the post??

The first pic was just for fun. I bolted up the frontend and leaned the front tires up to the axle... just so i could stand back and see the stance. So because of this I want the front lower!!! So I am going to pick up a Magnum 5" drop axle and hopefully gain that 1". Plus, I really like the lower shock mount in the axle!! Also, I took 2 leaves out of my front spring. I still have to notch the frame rails for the spring but that's cake. The pic with the 4x4 block under the axle shows the rake of the frame, but, the axle will be a little bit higher.

So now that ride height is determined, I could build the rear cross member. I was going to get all fancy and do some miter cuts to the 2x2 tubing to get the correct drop (or raise, however you want to look at it) in the cross member but "why!!" (said Dad) just stack them. And that works great and it was simple. KISS (keep it simple STUPID!!) The final set-up on the cross member is shown, but those U-bolts and plate are just what I had laying around and will not be used permanently.

A little bit more work and I can finally take all those stringers off my frame!!!
    :cool:ENJOY:cool:

Attached Files:

13. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Here's the axle im getting... Magnum Axle Company 5" drop axle w/lower shock mount IN the axle!! Cool!!!:cool:

Attached Files:

14. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

one more pic......

Attached Files:

15. rebstew187

rebstew187

Looks like it's moving right along. I guess I'll be seeing this at the local hang outs and cruise ins this summer???:D Nice work so far.

16. Berzerk

Berzerk

I'll be subscribing to your thread. I am starting on the same project. I just picked up a 32 frame from BenD here on the HAMB, am getting some parts together and working on getting a body. I plan on running a stroked Y Block with a 3 speed toploader, no parts newer than 1960. I'm looking forward to watching your build and getting some inspiration.

17. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

No parts newer than '60!!! That should be fun!!! Very cool idea.:cool:

Also thanks for all the support, to all, i hope i can inspire something for ya. They are working me like a borrowed mull at work lately, so i will update as soon as possible!!!

To corngrower32/JSHAW,
    could give me a call or PM me cause i got some specific questions for you on another topic. (info request)thanks

18. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I forgot to mention all this earlier but i have one small update................(some background info) i had 3 of my 4 original '40 ford steelies and spindles, backing plates, ect. at my work so i could sand blast them before/after work. I was told by everyone that it was cool to do so, as long as i was off the clock....

So, I walked into work today and a friend told me that i have to get all my stuff out of the maintenance area or it will be thrown away!!!!!!!:eek: The VP of prodution (who never goes back into Maintenance, where my parts were) goes back there, during 1st shift, and starts throwing anything and everything away that is not company related...:eek: My friend, i mentioned...stopped the boss and convinced him to give people a chance to claim there stuff from back there. And when i walked in for 2nd shift he told me all this.:eek: I (literally) ran to my car, pulled it around back and loaded all my stuff, and got it the hell out of there!!!!:eek:

I was less than 24 hours from lossing all of it...WOW...that was way too close!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

all these stupid little EEK! faces are literally what i looked like. HAHA

19. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Thats why I keep all my parts in my truck and just bring in what I can do on my shift and carry it out with me to get the next.

Never leave your stuff unattended or you will get burned.

20. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

lesson learned

21. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I was finally able to get some work done today. My girlfriend and i are in the process of moving, so, i haven't been in the garage. Today, I finish welded the front and center cross members. So, while i am waiting for my new axle, i am going to be working on boxing the frame rails. Oh yeah..!..!..! and i finally got all those stringers (1x1 square tubes) off my frame. Its starting to look like a frame now!!! I will try to get some pics uploaded in the next couple of days.

JGRAFF

22. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Round one.....boxing the rear kickup.

This was a little more difficult than i anticipated,:mad: because i have boxing plates for a normal '32 frame. So, i had to piece them together to fit. but nothing a good grinder can cure!!! I call it the "Frankenstein frame" anyway.:D

More to come this weekend... i have 4 days off work and plan to be in the garage for about 23.75 hours a day. The rest of the day i will eat some turkey and sleep...HAHA!!

Attached Files:

23. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Round 2 of boxing the frame...

First of all i got my new Magnum 5" drop axle and I'm lovin' it!!! I think with this front-end combo i will definitely be "in the weeds". Also, I mounted the wishbones were i wanted them and welded the tapered bungs to the frame rails. Looks killer, if i do say so myself.

Back to Round 2 of boxing.... finished tacking in all the boxing plates. For the tapered bungs to be accessed, i cut some ob-long holes in the plates. I was going to just make them round, but, i thought of the cotter pin that goes in the shaft and wanted to make sure that it could be taken out (with pliers) if needed.

So, i have put the finish welds on the rear kick-up and i got a lot of grinding to do!!! But, it should clean up really nice. And, just for a little finishing touch... i put a slight semi- circle plate in front of the front crossmember to try to hide the welds.

I will be finishing up the welds and grinding for awhile... but next i will be doing the ladder bars!!!!

stay tuned!!!:cool:

Attached Files:

24. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Thinking about picking up a mono-leaf for the front end...any thoughts???

scratch that... for a second i thought i had an unlimited budget!!!HAHA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  25. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

update

Well i got the invite to Cavalcade this year. So, we are humping to get this car into a good mock up stage for that.

-got the ladder bars done...
    -got the motor painted and motor/trans mounts in...
    -and just for fun, we stuck the body on there for some pics.
    still have to cut the back sub-frame out so it will sit over the rails, but it still looks sweet!!!!!!

Attached Files:

26. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

get to work jgraff. i will seeya down there with the hot rod vee dub and the 32coupedeville

27. cool build...see ya at cavalcade

T.H.

28. Virtualjunkyard

Virtualjunkyard
    from Kentucky

Great project! Can I come up and help in the garage?

29. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'll see ALL you suckers there!

30. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Definitely!! As you can see i could use all the help i can get!!!:D pm me if you are not an axe murderer.

to everyone else...if you are not an axe murderer, then give me a shout. Your all invited to help too...many minds are better than one.:D