Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chrome Czars and the Hunnert Car Pileup #8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yeah, we're not saying it's over. We're TRYING to keep it going.

It's not as simple as making it invite only or raising prices. That will actually increase traffic problems because every numbskull with a driver's license will ignore the signs and advertising and stop at the Fairgrounds and ask why they can't drive in, or why prices went up. Believe me, people kept stopping on 47 this year to ask why traffic was stopped. YOU! You're the reason! You stopped on the highway to ask a question!!

If we were to do invite only, I would say HAMB members with 200+ posts only, regardless of their driveable car status. But think of all the cool cars that show up unexpectedly, whose owners we don't know and would not have received an invite... like that purple 36 Ford survivor a couple of years ago.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yeah, I was scouting locations today via Google aerial maps. :D

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

ugh! i hate to see it move! heres hopin you figger it out!!!!

4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Guess I better get to posting.
    Can I suggest Travis County Expo Center in Austin Texas?, oh wait they already have a cool show there.
    When the Kontinentals had to move from Fiesta Beach, I thought it would never be the same, I was wrong.
    No matter where you decide to have it I'll be back.

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

there was a rumor we were movin our show to the fairgrounds and folks started freakin! so i told them that we were not moving it! the way its growin it needs to, but were gonna stick to wayland forever! i hope we never have to deal with the probs the czar guys n gals are goin through, but i bet it happens! i feel for you guys!
    we based out whole show on how you guys did yours [thanks for the help] , and i hope it never comes to that, but ill learn from what you guys do and go from there!
    my heros, the czars!

6. Ebert

Ebert

I know NOTHING and love the Morris gig, but there seems to be growth issues as discussed (not my opinion) Maybe...Kane County Fairgrounds....tons of ingress/egress from multiple sides, tons of SPACE, tons of bars in St. Charles/Geneva, shit loads of hotels, am I too biased because I am 4 miles away!!!! Probably!!!!!

7. ...myself I vote to keep it at Morris, ...maybe just have a show only open the the participants and who rides in with them, no spectators, most of em are just looky-loos anyway; that would eliminate the traffic situation, it's not a problem getting the participant cars into the grounds.
    This show should be for us car guys, not the general public; if they wanna come, ride in with somebody or build yourself a car,
    I mite be wrong here, I don't know...
    I hope a good solution can be worked out.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  8. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I really don't think you'll lose this event; there's just too much enthusiasm & nothing else quite like it around here. (around here spans quite a distance & a few bordering states to boot) HCPU has a uniqueness about it, & a grass roots following as well. there's no other place to go to get what it's got! You can move it without losing it!

.....it soon became plain to see I was going to have to resort to animal-like cunning & tact in order to emerge victoriously;...even though there were only 12 of them.

9. amen

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

so if I cant drive my car over from Iowa I cant come to the show?

cmon

really?

11. magnet

magnet

Breeder.. shhhhhbe quiet about your show.. dont tell anyone :)

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

haha mike! im kindofa hoe when it comes to the show~! but i think ill be less into it this yr!:eek::)

13. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

200 posts? Damn, I'd better get crackin.!

14. charkol

charkol

whoooooa....better get another cup of tea and biscuit and adjust yer monocle if your going to make it a closed event it might be that I don't have a car that meets the requirments but a lot of people might not be as lucky as you guys having your old cars and friends if anybody can figure it out the czars can .... just my to cents and thanks again czars

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  15. truckdude1

truckdude1

Why do so many of the clown cars come out of Iowa.

What about the DuPage Cty fairgrounds? They have a couple of big parking ramps there. Similar vibe to that of Morris. Plus it is only 10 minutes from my pad and I'm selfish.

16. Dr_X

Dr_X

How about the Dairyland greyhound park in Kenosha? There are two exits off the interstate going to it. The traffic could be handled no sweat. The fate of the track is really up in the air at the moment, but the huge parking lots aren't going anywhere.

17. Plowboy

Plowboy

"Progress City" in Decatur Illinois. That is where they have the farm Progress show. I know traffic wouldn't be a problem because they get about 75,000/day in and out of there...and they have REAL bathrooms across the whole grounds.

or Rantoul, Illinois at the old Chanute Air Base where they have a lot of stuff. The City would even help out with the planning and stuff there. I would do everything I could to pass off the work to someone else if I were you guys. ha ha ha

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  18. ...you could ride in with someone or get your car on the road..
    ...besides, you're a vendor anyway!

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

And you're a poet and don't know it. :)

Settle down everyone. No one is seriously talking about making it invite only, or show car or no entry. It's nice to fantasize about that, like fantasizing about going to the Playboy Mansion just because of your car, but it's not going to happen. There's no practical way to implement it without hurting friends, etc. Ok, so maybe you CAN get invited for a dip in the Grotto because of your car... and studly good looks... but we're still not seriously considering limiting the show like that.

20. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Has anyone mentioned the old air base in Rantoul, Il.?

21. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

wow, i have a skill! thanks for pointing that out Joe!!!:D

so.....your basically saying there will be no necked women at the PU 2010?:(:p

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

I think all of the discussion over this years Pileup is great. It shows that people are passionate about this event, I know I am. I am very confident that the Czars are going to handle this completely and totally, and that next years event will be bigger and better.....To all the Czars and DW, what ever you all decide, the Red Shirt Army and all involved will be there for you.

23. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

Pleas don't raise it to $20.00 maybe $10 ??

24. roddin1

roddin1

I know there is alot to look into I am not on here as much as I'd like to be, but I was part of a committee that was looking to bring car events into the old rantoul AFB that has been mentioned by plowboy and others this is a great place with more room than you could know what to do with. They already hold a huge vintage tractor there event and handle it very well. The old hangers make for great pictures especially with the style of cars and some of the aircraft engineering that likes to be used, champaign/urbana is 15 minute drive right off of 57/74/72. If I can help out with anything feel free to ask. Great show and think everyone would like the surroundings?

25. As good as the old chanute air base may look on the surface, it is not without problems. When i lived in champaigh in the '90s a large groop of drag racers tried in vain to build an 1\8 mile dragstrip on one of the old runways. long story short the locals had a shit fit, killing the deal. even if the first year went off without a hitch, local unrest could kill any potential of making this a long term home for the pileup.

26. roddin1

roddin1

Understand where your coming from but was in contact with the local mayor,convention and visitors, when on comittee and they are eager for events at the base. Have some cool pictures we took when were putting something together with the cars and planes and base, group we were talking to was ready to run with it but new guy at the county convention and visitors bureau dropped the ball, and that were that has been but had letters of recommendation from the other events they've had there. Understand were you are coming from though, but rantoul has changed alot since then.

27. silent rick

silent rick

how many hotels?

28. roddin1

roddin1

Silent there are a few in Rantoul but like I said 15 minutes from champaign/urbana were there are more than enough hotels, which the cvb can assist in.

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

We're still discussing if the Pileup will continue, and if it does, where. We should be prepared to make an announcement very soon

30. 427c.i.

427c.i.

Chanute is a neat place and Champaign has some really cool restored old bars like the HiDive and the Cowboy Monkee for the nightlife part of the Pileup.
    Whatever happens I hope it continues...