Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Here is one who might want 'em ;)

2. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

very nice work, subscribed

3. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Nothing better than a nasty chop on a 32 five window! Looks like Jo is definitely the right man for the job! Can't wait to see it finished.
    Jimmy White

4. Thanks guys.

I ordered lots of parts this week and scored a few goodies off ebay.

I hope to have an update tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Just read the whole thread - gotta get up and have a big stretch now - I was transfixed! Great job. As far as getting someone to help you build your car I see no problem with that. Everyone needs help at some point, some more than others and besides, it looks like you're pitching in and are certainly involved in the styling. This is (going to be) a killer car, you're not only getting happy building it but you're making a lot of us happy sharing the build as you go along.

6. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Everything is looking great, Dave! Looking forward to more updates.

7. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Looks great Dave! Can't wait to see it, maybe even photograph it when it's done.:cool:

8. .

Well, here is the latest.

Right before the car went to Cincinnati, Jo got the wheel wells welded up and they look great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jo then ran the body over to Ryan and got down to business on the chassis.

First he used his mill to cut some exhaust holes on the frame rail.

[​IMG]

Then he got the rails squared up in the jig.

[​IMG]

Next he started to mock up engine/tranny and rear end placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our second go-around on the chassis as Jo and I got the talking and decided to pull out all the stops on the one. Needless to say, this won't be a typical "buy the parts from Speedway and bolt them on" kind of chassis. ;):D I'm dying to see our ideas become reality.

Check back often, things could get interesting soon.

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

you mean it's gonna get even BETTER Dave?

oh boy.

10. Do I sense some sarcasm there Mark??? ;)

Hey, I'm excited. What can I say. :D:D:D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

no sarcasm at all. i love it when things go from rad to radder to raddest.

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looks great. There are a lot of 32 builds going on right now.

13. still working on it...

[​IMG]

Jo is hard at it on the chassis and I should have more updates by the end of the weekend.

Also hoping to get some shots of Ryan's progress on the body soon.

I'll post 'em when I get 'em...

14. Jo put in a ton of hours this weekend and has a lot to show for it.

As mentioned earlier, we had decided to start over with the chassis and really wanted to do something cool and different. We have decided to use torsion bars on the front and rear suspension. Well, we all know some of the purists on here don't like different and I'm sure some won't like this. The use of torsion bars on traditional cars has previously been debated here also. I'm pretty sure the many pics of Indy cars and Bonneville cars using them in the 1950's should have put that debate to bed by now.

If your part of that "some" that can't wrap your head around us NOT using buggy springs, and feel this is too "street-roddy", Please bite your tongue and keep your posts to yourself. This is a drama-free zone. ;)

That said, I will ask the non-believers to stick around to the end of the build, I can assure you that there will be nothing "street-roddy" about this car when it is done. I have a clear vision of the finished product and I'm confident that Jo and I are gonna pull this off just fine.

Back to the build...

We left off with the trans cross member installed. The rear frame horns were then kicked up and will be bobbed later on.

[​IMG]

Jo then went on to install the through-the-frame exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your probibly wondering why the exhaust was done first. That was necesssary as Jo needed to fit 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb sack.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon...

Rear torsion bars are mounted and center cross members are tacked in, shocks are mocked up, etc...

Not the best pictures, but a lot to look at... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm loving it so far and can't thank Jo enough for his hard work. I'll post more updates as they are available.

Thanks for following along.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  15. slepe67

slepe67

Non-believers???

I think your work speaks for itself. I don't see anything resembling a street rod here. Looks great man!

I finally got all my sidetracking issues sorted out and am ready to start back up on my POS. You are motivating me Don!

I also have a Hilborn setup for my 302. I'll be watching closely when you tackle that part as well!

Keep up the great work, I think the car is going to be killer!

16. bonesy

bonesy

That's a crazy/awesome looking frame. I dig it.

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Dave, what is the torsion set up out of? I don't know much about them, so I'm super curious.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. brady1929

brady1929

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Killer build, I love the exhaust idea. What keeps the pipes from rattling around in the frame holes? Maybe I missed it but is everything solid mounted?

21. I'm glad you like it.

The exhaust is mounted using a series of short rubber mounts.

uploadfromtaptalk1353375482052.jpg

The entire pipe is then wrapped in thermo-wrap. The combination works as Willy's roadster has not had any issues with the exhaust banging around.

22. Talked to Jo today and found out the engine is getting picked up Friday and headed to the machine shop. One more step closer...

I ordered a bunch of parts for the chassis and some pedals from Thompsons Garage. Jo is working tonight and a good part of the day tomorrow getting them installed.

I'll post some more update pics tomorrow or Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, there's alot going on under there. Looks like you would need a vast Sprint car background to keep that thing adjusted right. I'm sure Jo knows what's going on there, but I'm confused.... :rolleyes:

I too would be concerned that the side exhaust would rattle in the frame sleeves. Especially rubber mounted with that beast under the hood.

Not trying to be negative, just sayin'...

24. Kevin, your just easy to confuse. Too much 'shine is to blame, I'm guessing. ;):D

As for the exhaust mounting. Here you go. the front is a slip-fit with spring retainers.

[​IMG]

Here are he tabs for the springs.

[​IMG]

The entire exhaust is wrapped in heat resistant Thermo-wrap all the way to the end. Where the exhaust exits the frame, the wrap acts like a form of gasket to prevent rattles.

As far as other progress, the pedals and master are mounted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is coming along nicely and the engine is in the hands of the builder.

I cannot wait to see the front suspension come together. It's gonna be killer.

25. A Boner

A Boner

What a radical idea....race car suspension on a HOT ROD! Torsion bars are slick, glad you are using them. I hope this starts a new trend. Hope you can let us in on the bar diameters, lengths and arm lengths. Torsion bars have been sort of a mystery for too long......time to get the ball rolling for us backyard hot rod builders.

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Hell, he don't know anything about suspension.... Why you think Jo has the car?

Keep up the good work Dave, I mean Jo. ;)

27. Yup Kevin, that is exactly why Jo has the car.

I know enough to know what I don't know enough about. This morning I know I haven't had enough coffee. :rolleyes:

A boner - I'm glad you like where this is headed. Torsion bars do have a lot of of advantages. The ability to adjust ride height and preload is awesome and the ride quality of a properly designed system should be leaps and bounds above that of a buggy spring suspension.

I highly doubt that we'll be starting any trends with this car, but we are building it the way we think it ought to be done.

As far as specific diameters, lengths and arm lengths, etc... It is not rocket science. Schroeder racing has charts to use that help in the selection of these components.

Hope to have more pics later today...

28. The car is looking great! Love the torsion bar concept.

Hope to stop by Jo's Thursday or Friday to see it in.person.

JH

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  29. Harrison

Give Jo a call and stop buy to check it out. The body will be back and should be sitting on the chassis for some further mock-up. Just spoke with Jo and he is going to get the body tonight. It's in primer!!!

[​IMG]

Sorry for the shitty pic.

I'm also excited to say that the Chemical City Coupe will be wearing a new H.A.M.B. shift knob as I was lucky enough to score one before they sold out this morning. WOO HOO!!!

brEad likes this.
  30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Very nice so far.