Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Tread Pattern goes to the RIGHT side on INDY cars. Jo has them right. The outside of the tire would wear fastest, the tread grooves were only in the tire so the driver could VISUALLY see when he needed tires. Drivers in open cockpit, Open wheel cars can easilly view the front AND rear tires while running. (I checked Right Rear suspension on a vintage dirt car this summer going down the straight on a dirt track after a torsion stop slipped, could see frame dragging the dirt)
    Any ways, The original Firestone "Speedway tires" had a White cord in them.. and I've read many accounts where drivers are quoted as saying- "You'll see that white stripe appear and your ass better be in the NEXT lap cause if you dont you'll hear TWO BIG BANGS.. first bang is the tire going, second bang is you hitting the wall"

These Coker Speedway tires run EXCELLENT on the street. They have a soft "race compound" for the vintage cars we run at the Speedways. Dave here at Zakira's is running a roadster right now on a set I bought from the very first batch from Coker. He ran 145 at Indy in may for several laps..

J Shaw

Attached Files:

2. .

There you have it from the man that knows. Thanks Josh.

I wonder if the guys that ran the Indy cast-offs at Bonneville and on the dry lakes mounted them this way or if they mounted them symmetrical? Anyone know?

3. .

I guess this is why it's called JoKerr Fabrication...

[​IMG]

Making the front torsion bar arms from scratch. These ought to tuck up nicely behind the axle. :D

[​IMG]

From paper pattern a few weeks ago, to a part today. For those wondering, NO they will not look like a big piece of billet when they are finished. ;)

Should be a able to support her own weight by tomorrow!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. alchemy

alchemy

A wooden block under the part? My machinist would never use a hunk of wood under the part to be machined. He may be out in the sticks, but he wouldn't use them to clamp a hunk of steel to.

That said, everything else about your coupe is very impressive. It's turning out great, at quite a quick rate!

5. .

All he is doing in that pic is drilling a pilot hole where the torsion bar will go through the arm. I often put a block of wood under a part before drilling a hole in it.

It sure beats drilling into the table.

6. joemac05

joemac05

7. alchemy

alchemy

Oh I know why he did it, I've just never seen it done on a mill. I do it all the time with my drill press, but I'm an amateur. My machinist would use a couple steel blocks.

Show us how he broaches the splines. I've never seen that type of work.

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I've been working in a small mom and pop machine shop for 15 years and there isnt much that hasnt been tried. I just got done with a thin stainless plate job on the bridgeport that was screwed down to a block of wood. Joker fab is no hack, he knows what he's doing. I've seen his cars in person they speak for themselves.

9. .

And now to change the subject...

Did I mention that the nailhead is done and Jo's dad is picking up an engine test stand this week. We should be makin' noise by the end of the weekend

hotrodderhaag likes this.
  10. 40snick

40snick
    from Midland MI

Dave....Mike and I think your car looks fantastic. We left Lyle's house before you posted the pics but I may see him again at a car show mid-month

Roger Florey

11. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

Hey Dave... you better watch out, as nice as this build is going the powers that be might make you park that 32 upstairs:D:D.... Just dont try and wash this one down in the basement :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome, happy for you buddy, looks like fun!!

13. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I love the engineering on this car. I'm hoping that I can incorporate torsion suspension into one of my future projects down the road. Looking great!!!

14. Thanks Roger. Hope you're enjoying your time down south. Not missing anything good here. Predicting 8 to 10 inches of snow tomorrow.

Basement all the way! Too funny... Washing the '34 out of a sink with a bucket and no hose. That security guard seemed a little pissed when he said "you can't do that here" and I responded "Well, I just did"! ::D

Your coming this year right Dave? I think you owe me a beer. Or was it I owe you? Either way, there is beer so you gotta come.

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

How dare you underestimate Andy's talent!

He'll be done by Valentine's day. :p

16. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I have enjoyed your build Dave, Joe has done an awesome job on the fab work and vision to see the build thur deadline for the show, I have not been to the Detroit show for 5 or 6 years ,but I'm goin this year ,because I would like see your car and others in BOTTOM FEEDERS BASEMENT !!!!!

17. cw

cw
    from Midland

"Should be a able to support her own weight by tomorrow!"

... congratulations its a girl! ;-)

18. .

Here are a few detail shots taken during assembly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thrash is on and I'll try to keep posting as updates roll in.

19. Yup Chris, She's a girl...

Anything this sexy has gotta be a "she". :D;)

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Question for you, I'm building a 32 roadster presently and wanted a curved ear spreader bar, Could you tell me how the curve was put in ??? I'm thinking ring roller ???

21. I can't wait to shoot this gorgeous car OUTSIDE Dave in the Spring and Summer...Oh yeaaaah !! Looking good Sir !!:D

22. .

Thanks Mark. I look forward to catching up with you at Autorama. I'd love to have you shoot the coupe this summer. I hope all is going well with you.

23. V12modelA

V12modelA
    from Holland MI

looking good Dave, can't wait to see it in a few weeks!!:)

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This is probably not a good time.............................but I've changed my mind on letting you have the trunk lid. Just drop it off on your way home the next time you come back from Indy.

Frank

25. Decklid??? Hmmm.... it's not ringing any bells...
    Did you say your name was Frank? I don't know any Frank. :D;)

Not much new to report. Still waiting on the engine and on paint. Jo has the chassis just about finished up and is ready to bang this thing out - as soon as the rest of the car shows up. :eek:

No worries...

Things should get real interesting after his weekend.

26. Thanks, Chad.

Congrats on the Street Rodder cover this month. Glad to hear your bringing your coupe to Cobo. I look forward to seeing you there.

27. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

This is a amazing build,I cant wait to see this car in person.
    Is this going to Detroit Autorama?
    COBO OR BUST!!!!!!

28. slick377

slick377

Mmmmmmmm I like your rear end.......
    Gonna be cool when its going! go hard man!

29. Dave50

Dave50

Dave it i cant wait for a update after the week i am having I need something to make me happy lol.

30. Dave50

Dave50

Dave i cant wait for a update after the week i am having I need something to make me happy lol.