Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. .

Ya ya, I know...

The front end is coming together slower than expected, but progress is being made.

A buggy spring up front would have been soooo much easier. Tube shocks up front would have been soooo much easier. Not pinching the frame would have been soooo much easier.

Jo is gonna hate me by the time Autorama gets here in what like 7 1/2 weeks.:eek:

We went back to the original plan of the bobbed and pinched front horns. we had to reorder new torsion bars as the original were to long. The old 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb sack thing reared it's ugly head.

Here is where were at as of this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to get her on all fours and on the ground by the middle of next week.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are those 18" Indy tires out back?

Looking good!

3. .

Why yes they are JJ.

Thanks for noticing.
    :cool:

4. bonesy

bonesy

They look great. The 1/2 slick look to them is so cool.

5. cw

cw
    from Midland

Dave, Since the master cylinder is lower than the brake calipers, you might want to get a $20 residual pressure valve installed in the brake line close to the master cylinder to prevent a spongy pedal.

6. .

Will do Chris, Thanks.

A couple of pics from the machine shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nailhead is back from the machine shop and Jo's dad is doing final assembly. I'm honored to have him on the project as he has tons of experience. He used to run an FED until he got bitten by the circle track bug. He's been racing roundy-rounders for years and his current car is one mean S.O.B.. He brought it to Jo's shop party this summer and it was impressive.

The front cross member is going in the car as we speak. Jo will be sending pics by morning, so I'll try to update tomorrow.

Based on the pics I've seen so far, the front is going to be killer - stay tuned!

7. .

Finally some front suspension pics.

Here is the front crossmember with the torsion bars.. It is upside-down in this picture.

[​IMG]

Here is the same piece, now right-side-up, sitting in front of the axle.

[​IMG]

Tacked in the frame. there will be additional bracing and fab required, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is from the front. On the left is a standard sprint car torsion arm. On the right is a paper pattern of the arm Jo will fab up. It tucks the torsion arm right up behind the axle.

[​IMG]

My goal the entire front of the car is to make everything sleek and uncluttered from the front. No spring perches, no tube shocks, and yes even no headlights (more on that later). The chromed V8-60 axle is going to be hanging out there in all it's glory with nothing else to compete with for your attention. I'm going after a real purpose-built competition look.

Whether or not we can pull it off is yet to be seen. If it looks as cool in real life as it does in my head, I think folks will dig it. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    brEad likes this.
  8. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hey dave , this build is really cool, the torsion bar susp. is radical. it is great to have imagination ,but even better is a fabricacator that can pull it off ,hey you guys should listen to a song by linda varg from sweden ,to keep the energy to finish for cobo hall, the song is called keep going,any close up pictures of the rear suspension? :D

9. .

Think of a five window version of Doane's roadster WITHOUT the headlights and nerf bar.

[​IMG]

Now slap on some more race oriented rubber, the V8-60 axle, and some different hood sides.

OOHHH Baby, I get goosebumps just thinking about it!!!!

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

okay, i'm still listening...

;) can't wait to see where this is going, Dave.

11. .

A couple from late last night. Joe got the rear supports tacked in and the torsion bar adjusters added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully this thing should be off the table and on the floor for the first time real soon.

I'm gettin' kinda excited about that. :D

brEad likes this.
  12. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

now thats a race car chassis/hot rod, I am jealous, You can smile with a s--- eating grin and the rest of us, will be tripping over our lower lip :( LOL as I have said before great build ,thanks for sharing . :D

13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

what a great looking chassis, hopefull folk will stop and check it out, so much won't be seen when it's rolling past!

14. .

Shocks mounted. One step closer...

[​IMG]

15. mutant55

mutant55

I know I am coming into this thread 21 pages into it, and the obvious has been repeated over and over, but this is going to be one beautiful car! I will be following the build to the end!

16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Looking good boys.... Tick tock, tick tock. :D

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic build! Just checked out the whole thing. That chop is spot-on! Incredible chassis work, as well.

Two questions... How are you linking the V8-60 axle to the torsion bar arms? AND! Do you have a profile shot of the car with the hood on? All I saw was a front view with the hood on.

Looking good!

18. dirt42

dirt42

Subscribed awesome thread. Can't wait for the next hit. keep'em coming.

19. Thanks man.

That ticking is getting louder and louder every day!!!!

Glad you like it. Because the axle is chromed, the torsion arms will attach to wishbones right behind the axle not to the axle itself.

Here is the only profile shot I have with the hood on. It's not a very good shot, but it's all I got.

[​IMG]

Thanks. I'll do my best! It May get a little boring here while everything is out for paint. After that, it should start to get pretty good. :D

Oh, I almost forgot - IT'S OFF THE JIG!!!!

[​IMG]

Ya, I'm a little excited about that! :eek:

20. cw

cw
    from Midland

Dave that's some radical toe out :D
    [​IMG]

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh hell yes! Looks great! And I dig the mounting to the wishbones things. Definitely going to provide a cool looking stance! Well done!

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Looking great! Can't wait to see it in person.

I have to laugh when I think back about Jo and I at 12 years old dreaming about our Pro Street 55' Chevs we were going to build. His Yellow, and Mine Black and Green. We've come a long way, and seen the light. :p

J Shaw

23. Josh, you and Jo sure have come a long way. The cars you've built and get to play with are awesome.

View attachment 1841548

Hearing this thing run, and watching it fly up and down the public road by Jo's shop, was one of the highlights of my summer.

Jo has made a ton of progress since you last saw the car and he is knocking this one out of the park.

I can't wait to see this thing get finished up. Jo mentioned something about some plans you and him have for the gas tank. I'm liking the sound of it. Thanks in advance for getting involved.

See ya at Cobo.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. Pics didn't post above??? Try again..

View attachment 1841553

uploadfromtaptalk1358465806857.jpg

** edit ** still not coming through on phone - WTF?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  25. .

More progress. Front shock mounts done...

[​IMG]

Rear...

[​IMG]

Rear wishbones mounted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a repost of this one. Just because I can't get enought of it. :D

[​IMG]

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It's looking great mate, looking forward to seeing more. .

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

One of my favorite builds right now. I love the torsion bar/front end setup. Keep up the good work!!

28. .

Wooo Hooooo!!!!!!

Chassis is done and headed to Cincy for paint.

Should have a bunch of pics of the rolling chassis to share later tonight.

The body is going on the chassis one final time then it's time to get shiny.

29. Dave50

Dave50

Cant wait been checking daily.. :)

30. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Sounds like you are moving fast. Speaking of moving fast, that's a hell of a Whale Tail on the red thing.... :D

Attached Files: