Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The cars ... 1950?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EliminatorJr, Dec 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. EliminatorJr

EliminatorJr

These are a couple of undated Las Vegas News Bureau photos showing Fremont & 1st Streets. I'm guessing it's 1950 based on the signs I see in the first photo. Anyone care to help date the photo based on the cars? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Very nice picture.

Not to thread jack you, that looks like the bank Steve McQueen robbed in the get away.

Sorry I can't help any more.

3. squirrel

squirrel

that's a pretty safe guess on the date.

License plate experts might be able to get closer? I seem to recall we had a similar game not too long ago, concerning Nevada tag colors

EliminatorJr likes this.
  4. EliminatorJr

EliminatorJr

volvobrynk – i love The Getaway. i'm pretty sure that was in Texas. This bank was demolished in the late 50s.
    squirrel i remember that thread. i was so impressed with the detailed responses that i've come back for more a few times now.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

'49 most likely; note the lighter background and dark numbers on the plates. '48 and '50 were the opposite, and Nevada didn't use a light background again until 1958.

6. flatford39

flatford39

There's a couple 46 48 Plymouths on there. One a sedan and one a convertible with skirts. Is that 50 Kaiser in pic # 1??? That enormous tudor in pic 2 looks like a late 30's LaSalle or Oldsmobile.

EliminatorJr likes this.
  7. people wearing jackets and look "bundled", winter time? looks like garland over street with a star, maybe around christmas.

volvobrynk and EliminatorJr like this.
  8. Looks like mostly late 40's except for the guy just out of sight in His new '53 vet.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. EliminatorJr

EliminatorJr

I can't believe I missed the Christmas decoration – good catch. Judging by this and Chrisbcritter's observation, it's looking like X-mas 1949.

I'm not seeing that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

The owner of that Kaiser/Frazer must have been pissed about that huge dent in the door of his nearly new car.

11. studeynut

studeynut

In the 1st picture is a 47-8 Frazer, ugly bumpers. Nose of 48 or newer Chevy truck, several 46-8 Mopars. My guess is 48

12. .......................Looks like a '38 Buick to me.

13. ...these old pics are fun to investigate;...put this one up I found this summer and found out the town and aprox date within 15 minutes,...(Scottville, Michigan, about 1941) michigan pic 003.jpg