Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The California Rake

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Strittan, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

3. 'Mo

'Mo

4. Kruzn40.jpg The California rake...............

Butch M likes this.
  5. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447944271.073172.jpg

I think I'm in love..

6. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

7. Barely a rake, but it's there. :)

IMG_9214.jpg

1stGrumpy, Butch M, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  8. 'Mo

'Mo

More rod than custom, Bob McCoy's '40 had it nailed in 1956.

[​IMG]

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Skirts and a rake don't mix, at least not in the original "California rake" tradition. Borrowed from hot rods, the rake emphasizes the rear tires and gives the car an aggressive attitude. Hiding those tires with skirts mixes two opposing styles, IMO contradictorily. Sorry, Ed.

All four of these are good looking cars, but the skirts need to come off.

verde742, X38, e z i and 2 others like this.
  10. Special Ed

Special Ed

No need to apologize to me, Tony ... those aren't my cars. :)

11. I agree with Tony....California Rakes are nose-down, unskirted cars....Centurion9

verde742 likes this.
  12. slammed

slammed

13. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

14. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

most of the time I agree with you fellas, however there are exceptions to every rule. These 2 below made the choice for putting skirts on mine pretty easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

I like 'em subtle so you don't notice the rake, you just wonder why the car looks so doggon good!

DSC_0419.JPG

A Boner, Butch M, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

What is the difference, in your opinion? I've never heard anybody distinguish between the two terms.

17. Neither have I......In the Midwest, anything cool was from the West Coast as often as not. The "Rake" and the "California Rake" were one and the same...That is, when many of us grew up in that era. One difference perhaps being the amount of lowering done to the front end. When Rakes were popular in my part of the Country, the drop to the Front End was usually pretty radical. Many of the cars pictured in this Thread barely qualify as a Rake at all. As as Standard, raked cars seldom wore Lakes Pipes, No Skirts, and usually Lakes Plugs, (Sneakers, Cut-Outs, whatever you want to call them) were the exhaust treatment most often used with the rake...Sometimes, Long Scavenger Pipes that were mounted below the rear axle. Today, a lot of younger guys just redefine terms to suit themselves. Return to the Little Books for Time Specific history.... Centurion9

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  18. Here's a Nice example...I believe its Dave Rolins '57 Ford.....

[​IMG]

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

The raked cars originally were a west coast thing that was not as confused as we see here. If you thought skirts were part of the deal you were identified as "not from around here", and it was corrected pretty fast. There could be a radical, or mild, or a variation, but if it was down in front, it qualified. Unfortunately, the ravages of time continue to take it's toll, alas... misguided youth that need guidance.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    verde742, Centurion9 and falcongeorge like this.
  20. [​IMG]

This car is absolutely beautiful! HRP

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IMO, that is perfect the way it is. Enough is enough, and too much is too much.
    [​IMG]

22. Baldies

Baldies

Little known fact: The seat belt was invented by a guy in Calif. who had such a radical rake he kept sliding under the steering wheel.

23. ...............:)

24. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Thanks, but I wanna at least nose and deck it. I'm also thinking about blasting the wheels, painting them yellow and buying a set of spinner hubcaps for them.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, Benno...You could've seen it NITELY at John's Drive In in San Jose...in fact, if you were there one night in '63 (? Thereabouts) you could have seen the owner's (Jerry DeVeto's wife, Donna) pregnant...Jump out (with assistance from fellow Rod & Wheelers club members) as the air-cleanerless 292 belched fire, and melted the new restyled Gene's Body Shop front end..."Whoom!" Sat there and melted 12 lbs. of lead. End of an icon.

26. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Rakes make them look right! - My '40.

1122151312a-1.jpg

Butch M, ct1932ford, BLUSHU and 17 others like this.
  27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your '40 is Purrfect, you have been blessed....

30TudorSedan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Growing up as a kid in the mid 60s in the Milwaukee Wi. area ,the "rake" was the stance gained by running larger rear tire. It had nothing to do with lowering the front. My cousin Bobby's 55 chevy was a perfect example . G78 14s on the front and H78 15s on the rear on 7" chrome reverse wheels and black wall tires. By the time I turned 16 in 1971 air shocks where all the rage and we got a little stupid! {me included} but I still the perfect rake is where you end up with 2 to 3 inches difference between the front point of the rocker panel and the rear point of the rocker, It provides the perfect hot rod stance . Must have larger rear tires and wheels. If the front is to low or it has skirts IMO something looks broke! Skirted cars should be level or dow just a touch in the rear! Anyway that's how my 60 year old mind see,s it. { but if you spent 45+ years sucking welding, bondo and paint fumes for a living you might see things differently too!! lol Larry

Centurion9 likes this.
  29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Inquiring minds want to know what are the differences.......please inform us all

50Fraud likes this.
  30. Actually the rake is still rake skirts or no skirts. The skirts just take away from the look on most cars.

Really? :confused: So those guys on the salt with belts out of an airplane weren't really using seat belts?:rolleyes: