Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods the California kid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, May 22, 2015.

1. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A ride like that would sure start you down the right path, alright. Cool story.
    Did that have anything to do with the door lettering in your avatar pic? :D

hotrodA and volvobrynk like this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well post a pic....I doubt it being close but let us see it..

arkiehotrods and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dean,----You going to the LAR show Fathers Day?

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I believe he went to GM first... Just sayin...

ROCKER77 likes this.
  5. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

I`ll agree about the Halibrands, I have a pic of it with them and the wide tires and they set the look for me.

6. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Anyone know what they did to set up the '57 Plymouth for the filming (engine or suspension mods, etc.)? Did they use more than one?

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill of sale 260 Cobra engine.jpg DSC02204.JPG SBF 260 C.I.D Bought from Shelby in 1964,---Hell everybody was hung up on SBC, I wanted to be different! Not a belly button power.
    300,000 miles later, I'm still smiling chasing those lines!!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    RMcCulley, 2Blue2, Cooon and 3 others like this.
  8. pitman

pitman

First-On-Race-Day! ;)

9. Pete was a Ford guy born and bred. It is powered by Ford, when it went though a revamp in the '90s the compression got lowered a little bit to survive better on pump gas.

Here is a tid bit: the Flames don't match from one side to the other and were an after though quicky paint job for the movie.

10. You should read the article I posted by Manuel about painting the flames on the car. Pete approached Manuel about flaming it before the car was even done being built.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I never realized that the very first black, flamed, chopped '34 Ford 3 window ever built in the history of the world came out of Miami! Who'd a thunk it? And I am sure that if we asked Pete where the inspiration for his car came from, he would readily volunteer, "That Wild Something-or-other down there in Miami."

verde742, LOST ANGEL and Special Ed like this.
  12. I must admit that I have always believe Ol Henry began designing better curves and overal looks when he made the '33/'34 Fords whether it was Coupe, Tudor or even the Sedan. And the car certainly can look awesome with or without the dressing of fenders and running boards.
    I thought the side pipes fitted to the car when used in the movie was to give the engine a deeper roar noise from the sound people but somebody said they weren't hooked up.

13. Just FYI, sound effects from objects in movies rarely come from the object in the shot, car or otherwise. The pipes were not hooked up.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. the 37 Kid is correct. the coupe was sold to the late Chris Carrier of West Hartford, Connecticut. I had the pleasure and good time riding down the Berlin Turnpike with Chris in the coupe. Chris installed N.O.S. running boards as well as having some other work done before he sold it back to Pete Chapouris, who then sold it to Jerry slover.

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Can't disagree with Dean on this, just wish it was running nostalgia meets again....

Atwater Mike and Dean Lowe like this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes. Yes it is. After "American Graffiti" ruined me for life, I sought out any and all info on "old cars". My interest was slowly waning, until one night, my dad told my brother and I, a car movie was coming on TV. When that '34 roared over that bridge, my interest and addiction was rekindled.

As cool as 32's are, 34's are a better styled car.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    LOST ANGEL and volvobrynk like this.
  17. I'm sorry, but this one was good enough for me in 1960......................................

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike, ProEnfo, enloe and 5 others like this.
  18. And this one is good enough for me today.

[​IMG]

And how the hell did a thread about a '34 coupe turn into a discussion on which engine is more traditional??

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's a 3 day weekend on the HAMB. And Dean, I REALLY love your work.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Here's some movie magic

Watch this clip at 6:54 and 6:57

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Buddy Palumbo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Think they call that "artistic deception".:D

22. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Boy I liked that shoebox - sucked they had to total it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Maybe you are in the market Larry....:D

milwscruffy, volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  24. One pivotal car for its day and the traditional stance, chop, flames still stands the test of time.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now you've done it. Just sat here and watched the entire movie. Lots of nice rides in it. Don't know if the engine sounds were of the coupe or not, but what ever it was had a healthy cam in it and sounded great!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

A bit of trivia here: The driver of that ugly Ford Shoebox is Martin Sheens real life brother, Joe Estevez.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it always made me wonder what navy those guys were in that they could have long hair like that. i was in the army in the late '60s and the rule was "sidewalls" around the ears and anything under the hat was yours. anyone notice the angle-iron rear bumper on "the kid" so sheriff morrow could bump it from behind?

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but read Carroll Shelby's bio. He first approached GM with the AC Bristol, wanting to use Chevy drivetrain.
    GM said, "Sorry, Mr. Shelby. We already have a sports car, the Corvette."
    Then Carroll Shelby went to Ford. History. Read it.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That icon ran at Fremont countless times in the late '70s...old pal Gerry Steiner got it 'out of shape' at 100+ MPH, just powered-and-clutched it and straightened it right out!
    Large audible gasp from spectators...

296ardun and Dean Lowe like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, I think you have your date off a few years, the "554" ran from '85 through the track closing in '88 at Fremont. We were pitted close to them in '85. Gerry was the best show at those events !