Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The CADILLAC of Travelogues! Canada ROAD TRIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40StudeDude, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Crobl...appreciate the comment...and it was good to finally meet you at the Junkies show...see you in October...IF it doesn't snow...!!! Hell of a hail storm yesterday, eh...???

R-

2. crob1

crob1
    from Colorado

The pleasure was ours! Congrats on the outstanding award!:cool: Let me know if you want a copy of the picture I took.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 4th AND the 10th.

That hail storm did a LOT of damage!

3. mad-cad

mad-cad

Spot on, its great reading about your road trips.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Brrrrr, 34 degrees in August…??? Must be in Canada.

We arrived in Cardston, Alberta, about 5:00 PM to find our motel. Before we left Denver, I’d been on the internet looking for a motel in Waterton Lakes only to find EVERY motel in that small town was booked solid for the weekend…so I checked the surrounding small towns and found a nice motel in Cardston, 30 miles from Waterton…it’d have to do, but after getting there found it was a decent motel…and of course, the price wasn’t even close to what those motels in touristy Waterton Lakes were charging so we lucked out on that.

The clouds hung low over the town and it rained constantly from the time we checked in. We hoped Saturday would be a bit dryer for us to do some sightseeing around the area before the Waterton Lakes car show on Sunday. That evening we left our cars in the motel lot and walked the small town to find a couple of small cafes to have dinner…and breakfast.

Saturday wasn’t any dryer - we woke to clouds and drizzle…it took some time to remove the condensation on both sides of the car’s windows before we could drive to Waterton Lakes. Thot we were going to have to dig out the ice scraper…it was only about 34 degrees. It rained off and on all day and we did what sightseeing we could in the cold and wet. I don’t think it got above 50 degrees all day Saturday.

[​IMG]
    The city of Waterton Lakes is below and to the right. The lake goes south into the US and a boat ride will take you across the border while on the water. The mountains on either side rise to over 10,000 feet.

The TV forecast that morning was for the clouds and rain to move out late Saturday but the clouds hung around all day. As we headed back to Cardston for the evening, the sky looked lighter and the rain had turned to just a drizzle. Not wanting to go to a car show with a dirty car on Sunday morn and try to clean it there, we pulled into a quarter car wash in the western part of town and spent some “Loonies and Toonies” (Canadian coins for one dollar and two dollars –they do not have paper bills in that small a denomination). We washed both cars in anticipation of a dryer Sunday, didn’t even bother to chamois them off as we weren’t real certain the drizzle was going to stop. We drove back to the motel slowly so not to get the whitewalls dirty.

Since there wasn’t a movie theatre in town, we were forced to watch TV Saturday nite, couldn’t even find a bar that was open. Every once in a while I’d look out our room windows to see if the clouds were still covering us. Towards midnite, the sky had cleared and we could see stars but the local TV weather forecast was still not promising. Oh well…!!! The paint on our cars won’t melt. Sunday morning we had to wipe the condensation off the windows again in order to arrive at the 9AM registration in the city park but the streets/highways were dry and the 30 miles went reasonably quick…we hoped the clearing would continue, it’d warm up and it would be a good show.

[​IMG]
    Entering Waterton Lakes…that’s the Prince of Wales hotel on the bluff in the distance.

We arrived at about 9:15AM to the show in the city park and the Waterton area had spotty clouds above the mountains but no rain. We got parked and registered and learned the show on Sunday was down from the 160 cars they usually pull in the organizers told me…85 vehicles eventually registered and the day remained cool and cloudy.
    [​IMG]
    Even the RCMP was there...forgot the name of the character in the middle tho.
    [​IMG]
    Part of the 85 registrants...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I never took off my jacket all day, but it was a laid back day in the city park…complete with wild deer feeding on the grass.

At the end of the day, Dan and I were awarded the “Longest Distance” award. We mentioned we wanted to shoot some pix with the famous “Prince of Wales” hotel on the bluff but were told the parking lot of the hotel wouldn’t afford us any good shots. Fortunately, we’d chatted with the event organizer at the end of the event and she told us the road to the city dump was a great place to position a car and shoot the hotel in the distance and we could get our cars in the shots…the dump’s dirt road was on the way out of town so we drove up the rutted road to the top of the bluff Sunday afternoon, turned around in the road and shot some pix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Prince of Wales hotel in the background…the hotel was built in 1929 by the railroad and is still used today.

Monday morning it was time to start for our home, we’d planned on three days home, sightseeing along the way…the jacket was on, the windows in the car were up cuz it was very cool outside despite the sun shining and the stereo played as we headed back into the U.S. and up Glacier, again…this time it was clear all the way to the top, could see a lot more without clouds blocking the view.

[​IMG]
    Parts of the Glacier mountains on the way back to the US.
    [​IMG]
    On the way up and thru Glacier National Park
    [​IMG]

It took two hours to go the 31 miles up and over Glacier that morning…and the 9 miles of construction that greeted us on the east side of Glacier was relatively smooth…the cars didn’t get as dirty and there weren’t as many “tourists” going up that morning. Past Logan Pass and down from the “Going to the Sun” road over Glacier Park about noon, we skirted around Kalispell toward Flathead Lake and grabbed Highway 83 going south - 190 miles away was our overnight –Helena, Montana. That drive was gorgeous…down through a long valley with mountains and tall pines on both sides of the roads and glistening lakes along the west side of the road for miles. Somewhere before we got to Lincoln, Montana, we missed our turn…and ended up in Lincoln and had to backtrack 16 miles. I think Dan was lost in thought cuz he missed the turn and that usually doesn’t happen with him leading (I missed it too cuz he told me what highway to watch for…!!!). But, since we drove to Lincoln before we realized we were going to wrong direction, we decided to get gas in order to make it all the way to our overnight without stopping again and have time for a mid-afternoon soda and candy bar snack.

Tuesday morning the weather was cool when we rolled out of the motel parking lot, kept the windows rolled up and headed for Yellowstone, some 180 miles away…didn’t look like rain all day…a few clouds but nothing low and heavy covering the mountains to the east of us. The road out of Helena was fraught with construction again…Montana must have lots of money for road construction and it sure slowed down our trip. Taking two lanes all the way south, we approached Yellowstone from the northwest. We stopped at Earthquake Lake (formerly known as Hebgen Lake) to view the destruction of the roadway and lake caused by the 1959 7.2 magnitude earthquake.

[​IMG]
    The bare area on the mountain in this pic let go during the earthquake and it happened at 11:37 PM. 80 million tons of rock came roaring down the mountainside and across the Madison River that ran thru this valley. There was a camping area on this side of the river at the time…and the campground was full for the night. 28 people were killed that night.

[​IMG]
    The two boulders in the center of this picture area are as big as houses…and are now memorials to those that were buried in the slide. The area below is the run-out of the landslide…it effectively dammed the river and flooded the valley. The highway was built atop this massive pile of debris and a visitor center is to the right in the pic (not visible).

[​IMG]
    Waiting for bicyclists to pay up before entering Yellowstone.

We rolled into the town of West Yellowstone about 11AM, fueled up and worried about going thru Yellowstone Park with tourists, altho there weren’t as many tourists at the end of August as there were in July-the height of the tourist season. The trip through Yellowstone was 72 miles from the west entrance to the south side entrance… several times we had to stop in the middle of the highway because some “tourist” has never seen animals in the wild and just HAD to stop to shoot pictures without moving to the side of the road. We didn’t want to stop anywhere in Yellowstone because we’d seen most of Yellowstone last year. Sometimes we were forced to look at the scenery as we waited behind “tourists” to shoot pix blindly not realizing they were holding up traffic. It took 2.5 hours to go 72 miles to the south entrance. Just past West Thumb, out of the park, it was easy sailing south to the Teton Mountains…albeit for road construction…again. Why is it the shortest route between two points is always under construction…??? On the way south, we stopped a couple of times to shoot pics of the car and the Tetons.

[​IMG]
    As you can see it wasn’t the clearest day at the Tetons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As usual Dan always gets some candid shots…

We overnighted in Jackson, which, we found out, some people still refer to as Jackson Hole…motel rooms were at a premium at 5:30 and it took us some phoning to find one. NEVER stay at a Motel 6 in Jackson…their idea of a room is two flat boards with Futons on top…talk about uncomfortable…but I guess when you don’t make reservations ahead, you gotta take what you get…!!! We covered the cars in the parking lot and walked to a restaurant…spaghetti and very thin meat sauce for $18.00…last time I’ll eat there…!!!

Wednesday morning we found out it had rained, didn’t even hear it during the night. From Jackson, we headed south again, with the car windows up for our final sight-seeing destination -the Dinosaur Monument in Vernal, Utah, 270 miles away…but getting there was wet…we rain into heavy rain north of Rock Springs, Wyoming, and drove in rain all the way to Vernal.

We drove thru Flaming Gorge National Rec. Area and was really looking forward to seeing the dam there, but by the time we got there it was raining so hard and cloudy we missed seeing the lake and nearly the dam…all of a sudden as we came around a curve there it was…we drove across the dam and up the hill and it disappeared in the clouds and rain. From the dam, it was 49 miles of mountain roads and curves to Vernal and all we could see was rain on the windshield…

Vernal, Utah is usually hot, hence the name but that day it wasn’t…we ate a late lunch in a small café and fortunately it stopped raining while there…we drove to the monument on dry roads and it stayed dry while we touristed the monument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The visitor center at the monument…you cannot drive your car up to this building…a shuttle hauls you about a mile to the center…the hill this building is built on is actually filled with many different kinds of dinosaur bones, as you can see in the next picture.

[​IMG]
    Apparently, where these bones were found was the edge of river eons ago and the dino’s came here to drink, got stuck in the mud or simply fell in…over the eons the river buried the bones and then it too disappeared.

[​IMG]
    A cast of one of the dino’s bones found in this escarpment.

[​IMG]
    From Vernal, Utah, it’s roughly 320 miles to Denver…but at 4:00 in the afternoon, we’d never make home that day…so we set our sights on Craig, ColoRODo, two hours and about 120 miles away, filled the gas tanks, Rain-X’d the windshield and set off. It rained all the way to Craig, arrived there at close to 7 and found a motel. We didn’t bother to cover the cars cause of the rain.

Thursday morning was wet as it had rained all night and it was only 36 degrees and still raining. We drove to Steamboat Springs, got gas, Rain-X’d the windshields again and headed for Rabbit Ears Pass - 9429 feet, but clouds at that elevation certainly made for some tough driving, having to go no faster than 30 mph for about 25 miles of curves. We drove in rain nearly all the way to Silverthorne and caught I-70 eastbound, just before the Eisenhower Tunnel. The four lane was dry…from there it was two hours to home and the clouds were higher up now and didn’t look like rain on the rest of the way. Spoke too soon…as we were coming down out of the foothills just west of Denver, we could see dark clouds hanging over west Denver…we took Highway 4-70 south to go around Denver and drove right into a deluge…it rained so hard we couldn’t see anything and the Rain-X was practically non-existent and finally had to turn on the wipers, first time we used them in the whole trip…did I tell you Rain-X is great stuff…??? It took about an hour to skirt Denver and finally made it to Parker Road, we went north a few miles and finally got home at 1:30PM…what a trip…!!!

Even tho this year's WCPC was three days shorter than last year’s WCPC ‘cruise’ and trip, Dan and I managed to kill off two weeks and four days and put on nearly as much mileage as last year's trip…I looked at my odometer - 3,890 miles on the total trip. As I walked from my garage I had to take a last look at how dirty my Caddy was…it’d take at least three weeks to get it clean…!!!

R-

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  5. loudbang

loudbang

That was one hell of a trip. Thanks for taking us along.

6. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I enjoyed this greatly! Thanks for posting it.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx loudbang and Drunk Man, apprecaite the kudos...so...back up one more time...

R-

8. Heck of a trip guys!! I think between the two of you and Bob K, your three cars might rack up more miles than the rest of us combined. ;) Thanks for taking the time to post all this for us to enjoy. Gives us mere mortals something to aspire to....not sure Michelle is up for a trip to Canada in the Merc....yet. LOL

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Król

Król

Thanks for posting your adventure, enjoy all your stories. Will greatly miss your column in the Good-Guys Gazette. It is the first thing I would read every month. Thanks again!

10. What a great read, epic road trip! Thanks so much for taking the time to share, this is the stuff dreams are made of.

11. Roger! Loved meeting you guys and glad you stopped by. You are welcome here anytime! Love this thread! Quality stuff as usual.

12. You and your brother have stone and rock chips to be proud of.