Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects THE BUSINESS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kim is a buddy of mine who lives just up the road and we share a lot of good times back and forth between the shops working on stuff, talking, drinking, bouncing ideas around, drinking, you know...that old chestnut. Here is a pic from the local watering hole alongside one of my OT name sakes and another friends sweet '53 Olds. This was a few years ago and you can see the car in "as adopted" condition.
    upload_2021-7-20_12-35-44.png
    A bit over three years ago he disassembled his driver, a chopped, highboy, 31 coupe to correct a few issues he knew about and a lot of things he didn't... yet (like the 3 bolts holding the body to the frame :eek: ). The main goal was to remove the banger and install a running Merc flathead he picked up, but along the way he had to straighten a bent frame, box it, change trans, open drive shaft, rebuilt rear-end, firewall altered, gas tank behind the seat, etc.

He bought the car chopped and hot rodded, 10 footer paint job, nice runner but now he is putting his own mark on it and doing a nice job doing it. His car is HAMB friendly even if he isn't "known to us" (as they say in the "family").

This is where I walked in last night, body dangling from the rafters like a side of beef in a Rocky movie, 15 degrees warmer inside than out, music on and bottle of scotch calling my name. Engine hoist is in back and steel L beam bolted under the cowl. That wasn't going to work with just the two of us.
    upload_2021-7-20_11-26-34.png
    So I came up with a solution that worked slick without having to change all of the overhead rigging.
    upload_2021-7-20_11-30-58.png
    We blocked up the body and moved the L iron inside the jambs and secured it with C clamps. We had to install the beam on it's side but it worked perfect!
    upload_2021-7-20_11-33-19.png
    Body now back on it's original foundation and he can start re-assembling his hot rod. There is a lot of planning, engineering and hard work here. I have asked him to join our group and perhaps he will now that I have officially "outed" him.

Oh, as to the thread title? "The Business" was proudly hand-lettered on the rear tail panel long before he took ownership. He is planning to remove the panel and hang it on the wall but I think it needs to stay. It is bad luck to change a boats name I hear, I think the same applies to hot rods. We need to work on him.
    upload_2021-7-20_11-37-11.png
    Here is a cool idea he came up with. He reshaped the rear tail lights to "hug" the rear panel.
    upload_2021-7-20_11-45-18.png
    This sucks the lights in against the body rather than flying alongside the car. How cool is that? He plans to paint them to match the body. If he joins us he will no doubt share a multitude of other cool ideas he employed in this refresh.
    upload_2021-7-20_11-46-18.png
    Another big part of the retrofit is new wiring. He built a mock up of the floor and firewall so he could create and tape up a harness. He is using a Coach Control kit (my favorite).
    upload_2021-7-20_12-23-52.png
    Anyhoo, I hope he joins us. His name is Kim and perhaps with our encouragement we can add another hoodlum (and a cool ride) to our roster. He has tons of photos of his progress over the years that many will find informative and helpful. He may even share photos of his 15,000 mile 1950 Ford Custom in original black paint (spectacular!).
    upload_2021-7-20_11-48-43.png
    Come on in Kim, the introduction has been made and the room is waiting.

Paul B, ekimneirbo, jaracer and 41 others like this.
  2. Dig that tail light treatment

3. Fordors

Fordors

Nice solution to raising the body @Bandit Billy , well played! Kim has a great shop, I wish I had room for a building like that. The coupe looks good and that taillight treatment is a winner, c’mon Kim, join up.

4. Budget36

Budget36

I agree

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent introduction, Billy.
    You're our kind of people, Kim.

7. Great work,,,,,yes,,,,,definitely keep “the business “,,,,,,where it is .
    It’s a great conversation piece I think !

Billy ,
    It’s obvious you have some influence over this guy,,,,,keep it going .
    That will be a sweet ride with that flathead in there.
    I like moving the iron inside and using C clamps,,,,very inventive,,,,,also looked safe as well .
    I like the 8BA,,,,,,I also see a spare block over by the work bench,,,,,you guys are in this thing .
    At the least,,,,,keep us updated on the rebuild .

Tommy

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, he picked up a spare block. His wife thinks it is a back up block, I think he has a roadster build coming.

9. This a fantastic build Billy. You and Kim know the deal, ;) Carry on Hot Rod Brothers. I love this stuff.:) Oh yea! And drink one for me while you guys are coming up with the next move.:D

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Live it, breathe it, drink it, build it, drive it! Hot Rod to the bone brotha!

loudbang, Max Gearhead and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the Good times @Bandit Billy...regarding the Hotrod, 'Nailed it' comes to mind...even with or without the Banger...

It would be nice to see the journey of this Hotrod from its architect...makes me think of a hood on mine...

I'll bet he's lurked...:D

It's a great place to carry on with what was the best years in Hotrod/Custom...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He has lurked buddy, he has most definitely lurked.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I thought I had a photo or two that I had taken of that car a few years ago just after it was chopped but can't find them.

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be cool if you found them!

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

dig the coupe for sure. And the others aint bad either....

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

MMMM. Flatty hot rod. Dig it.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. Kim Strobeck

Kim Strobeck

Okay I finally activated my profile. Special thanks to Bandit Billy for the post. I'll try to post some pictures of the build. Its been a long and steep learning process. I'll try to organize my pictures so that it will show what I've done. Here's the finished frame. it had a bad twist and was nearly broken through near the original battery mount. 31 boxing plate.jpg 31 frame sand blast.jpg 31 brakes rear 2.jpg

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome! Thanks for posting

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. Welcome to the HAMB, @Kim Strobeck! “The Business” looks to be a really sweet hotrod.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're in like Flint...:confused:...that's a saying isn't it?...Welcome to The Hamb and DON'T let'em talk you into a Deuce shell on that A Bone...;)

22. choptop40

choptop40

that gets an A....Model A that is...great thread

23. Luv it...keep posting and welcome aboard.

24. Welcome to the HAMB!
    Maybe you can teach ol’ BB a thing or two.:D
    Lock your liquor.:eek:

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

That beam appears to be a piece of 2x2 x1/4 angle iron. Just saying.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  26. Kim Strobeck

Kim Strobeck

31 header drivers side.jpg

Attached Files:

27. Kim Strobeck

Kim Strobeck

Modifying headers to make room for the '48-'50 steering box and room for starter.